Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm STILL not sure what defines a hipster, but since this thread started it seems I see the word everywhere!

Dictionary.com doesn't help much:

Hipster | Define Hipster at Dictionary.com

The word kind of makes me think of an elderly person who needed a body part replaced, but then we'd also have kneesters.
I kind of thought it was a style of boot, or a style of women's underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,323,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I kind of thought it was a style of boot, or a style of women's underwear.

Naw...maybe blue jeans! lol not underwear!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Naw...maybe blue jeans! lol not underwear!
You don't shop for women's underwear much, do you?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,323,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You don't shop for women's underwear much, do you?
I'm more of the thong gal! LOL But this is WAYYY off topic!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

25,915 posts, read 18,928,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Modern hipsters are usually 20-somethings who live in gritty urban neighborhoods, wear thrift store clothes (like 80s rock t-shirts for the ironic factor,) skinny jeans, Pumas or Chucks, they don't own cars but ride bikes, they're often vegetarians or vegans, they're in bands or are artists, etc. They wear black plastic glasses, smoke Parliaments, and drink PBR. They're not the kind of people who want to climb the corporate ladder and drive an SUV to their house in the suburbs.
So that's what a hipster is. Hmm. I guess I share a bit with them, even though I'm over the hill. Still wear t-shirts almost exclusively. Don't wear potato sack pants that are 10 numbers too big for me. 501s for me. Was a musician... and was an artist, no less. I guess the closest point of relation is that I certainly don't want to climb the corporate ladder (actually, I'm opposed to corporate anything, in general)... and I dislike SUVs. Wouldn't mind having a good, small truck though. But, they don't make 'em any more. Just huge battleships--I guess I'd have to find an old Chevy Luv, or something. But then would I be just a plain ol' hippie? Paint flowers on my Luv?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,220,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You do understand how toilets get cleaned, right? Or do you think the stork cleans them?

I like to picture in my mind the Chinese man, who works in an outsourced factory. He proudly tells his dinner guests "I make plastic dog vomit, which we export to the Americans".
I know how toilets get cleaned. I used to clean them in an old job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates