Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not THAT poor, I see. You have computer and Internet access...
Not my computer--though nowadays you almost HAVE to have Internet access for work related stuff. Want your W-2? Go online. Want to drop your insurance, or add insurance, go online. Want to find an eye doctor? Go online.

As a matter of fact, my employer doesn't even provide paystubs unless...again, you go online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Or brag about how little they have?
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".

Sorry. I'm annoyed.
same reason young single guys (well some of them, anyway) obsess about being railroad bums. . . .It's a romantic notion from a time long past. . .and if you don't much like your life, and don't know what to do about that, it's easier to daydream than take real opportunities to change things.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'd have to disagree with you about cars though. They ARE just transportation, and rather annoying forms of transportation at that. I'm looking forward to someone coming up with something that renders cars obsolete. Beam me up, Scotty. Or actually, let's go back to walking and horses. Horses have brains enough to 'drive safely.' They don't go around colliding with each other.
That was my whole point though, people have different priorities, they might just be transportation to you, but they're not to me, even if cars aren't needed anymore I'll still have some, and I'm willing to pay for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's fine, but you offered this as a response to my question of why people think it is so reprehensible to think otherwise?
I did so because you come off as thinking it's reprehensible to be content with a "normal" life. The way you present your argument sounds no different from the way the OP did. You're just on the other side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't have respect for people who are lazy, and for those who don't want to work to help others. If you don't like it, fine. It is just my opinion.

I am not saying you are wrong for treating your job as nothing more than a job. You are more than welcome to do that. You just won't earn my respect. I do not understand people who do the minimum to get by, and doing a job simply to earn money is the minimum. I don't understand people who do not take pride in their work. I enjoy my work because I do not want something I produce to be sub-par. I want to look back at a day's work and know I did a good job, and not know I just did what I need to do to get to the end of the day.

I don't care about compliments by co-workers, or nominations for employee of the year. I am not looking for external validation for what I do, unlike you.

I want what I do to help people, and I want the work I leave behind to make the lives of other people a little easier. I don't understand people who only do a job to get enough cash to go out and have fun at night. I despise that attitude.

If you disagree with me, then fine. I am not telling anyone what they should think. This is just my opinion.
You seem to be under the impression that anyone who sees work as a way of supporting their life and nothing else do a half-assed job. I can assure you, you're wrong.

I liked my colleagues and that made it far more enjoyable to go to work, and I like feeling like I accomplished something, but the work itself was nothing to love. That doesn't mean I didn't give it 100% every day. I did a damn good job, even if it was for the money.

Now, when you can tell me how it's more important to work 10 hour days loading trucks instead of 6 hour days and spend time with my Fiancé, doing the things I love, I'll give you a listen.

That said, considering how much you seem to enjoy working for others, you don't seem to respect very many of them.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Hipsters and Yuppies are two sides of the same coin. One side feels superior because they work less/have less and one side feels superior because they work more/have more.

Both sides seem to feel the need to insist others conform with their choices.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Hipsters and Yuppies are two sides of the same coin. One side feels superior because they work less/have less and one side feels superior because they work more/have more.

Both sides seem to feel the need to insist others conform with their choices.
Great post.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But you missed my point. I didn't ask for any of that validation, and I couldn't care less whether I got it or not. I just do my job. I do my job the absolute best I can, just as you say you do. But, I do it the best I can because that's what I'm expected to do when I'm on someone else's time clock. You do it because you get personal satisfaction and pride from it. We both do the best we can at our jobs--just for different reasons. All I'm trying to convey to you is that it is possible to do a great job and go above and beyond the call of duty without being driven by the emotion of 'enjoyment.' You can't just say someone will do a lousy job because they don't enjoy their work. That certainly can be the case, but it doesn't have to be the case.
I understand your point. I never said it was impossible to do a good job while not enjoying your work.

You, however, are completely missing my point. As I said before, I do not understand how someone can work only for selfish reasons. The only true enjoyment you can get out of life is helping others, and that is what I want to do in my job. People who do a job just to make cash are people I do not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
You seem to be under the impression that anyone who sees work as a way of supporting their life and nothing else do a half-assed job. I can assure you, you're wrong.

I liked my colleagues and that made it far more enjoyable to go to work, and I like feeling like I accomplished something, but the work itself was nothing to love. That doesn't mean I didn't give it 100% every day. I did a damn good job, even if it was for the money.

Now, when you can tell me how it's more important to work 10 hour days loading trucks instead of 6 hour days and spend time with my Fiancé, doing the things I love, I'll give you a listen.

That said, considering how much you seem to enjoy working for others, you don't seem to respect very many of them.
Respect is a difficult thing. I don't respect what I personally do half the time. I have high standards for others, but believe me, I have even higher standards for myself.

I know that sounds arrogant, and again you do NOT have to agree with me. It is just my opinion.

I have a co-worker who leaves every day the minute it hits 5:00pm. My company is losing money, and is at risk of going under. How can I respect someone who cares more about having an extra hour or two at home than they do about helping several hundred people stay employed?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
As I said before, I do not understand how someone can work only for selfish reasons. The only true enjoyment you can get out of life is helping others, and that is what I want to do in my job. People who do a job just to make cash are people I do not understand.
You do understand how toilets get cleaned, right? Or do you think the stork cleans them?

I like to picture in my mind the Chinese man, who works in an outsourced factory. He proudly tells his dinner guests "I make plastic dog vomit, which we export to the Americans".

Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not my computer--though nowadays you almost HAVE to have Internet access for work related stuff. Want your W-2? Go online. Want to drop your insurance, or add insurance, go online. Want to find an eye doctor? Go online.

As a matter of fact, my employer doesn't even provide paystubs unless...again, you go online.

I told you elnina...LOL

Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
^ You deny this? You call someone on the phone, the first place they direct you to is their WEBSITE. They can't answer a question for you--"all that information is on our website."

Okay, I don't have access--can you TELL me?

A few years back, the IRS stopped sending out tax forms to your home, or providing them in libraries or post offices. People were directed to go online--or, in what turned out to be a major boon for tax preparation companies, have them DONE for you and e-filed.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^ You deny this? You call someone on the phone, the first place they direct you to is their WEBSITE. They can't answer a question for you--"all that information is on our website."
AT&T, which is a phone company, before you even get through the menu, tells you can get better service and possibly lower priced deals online. I guess the idea of using the telephone for marketing and customer service has never occurred to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates