Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantra View Post
what is a "hipster?"
It’s a guy who wears a Zoot suit, a wide brimmed hat, swings a long gold chain, and calls everyone Daddy-O.

I haven’t seen one since about 1947.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
I lived in a small town in the Missouri Ozarks, a decade or so ago, and I was in the tire shop getting a couple new tires put on my '86 Cutlass wagon. Another customer looked around at the vehicles there and said "You know, I make pretty good money for this part of the country. Where in the hell are these people getting the money to buy all these new SUVs." In other words, fancy new cars are still the status symbol for people who can't really afford them, and it's the "hipsters" who are NOT buying them. That's "obsessing"???

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,635,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Working on securing a future and getting a professional working job takes thousands of days of your life, which you have only a finite number of. What's wrong with keeping those days for yourself, and learning to flourish and fulfill your needs within a minimalist lifestyle, and then own more days and years of your own life, instead of leasing it to somebody else?

I don't owe my life to you, to fulfill some need you have to keep everybody on your horizon spinning the hamster wheel. I owe my life to myself.

Why do you think it is so reprehensible for a person to drive a '97 Camry instead of a '10 Escalade, and just not bother earning the extra $50,000, and using the days of his own life so do something personally redeeming to himself?

Some people actually HAVE a life, and going to work every day is not it.
Your responding as if I am personally speaking about you!??

Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,423,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Or brag about how little they have?
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".

Sorry. I'm annoyed.

WTF is a hipster & why care what they obsess about?

A better question might be why does everyone worry so much about what someone else is doing.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Everybody has their personal sense of the way to live. I kind of like mine but with a shorter commute. In a couple of years I will go on half pay with no commute at all. It is called retirement. What annoys me is some folks, by chosing sane and wealthy parents, never have to go through the 40 years of working to get a retirement income.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Since I'm not the "teenager" you were referring to in the post I responded to, I hardly think so. As for being a Hipster,the Urban Dictionary has 169 different definitions of "hipster", which is amusing reading. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

It's true, I was a Beatnik, but had only a tangential association with Hippies. Some of the definitions of Hipster might apply to me, however none of them address the geriatric hipster, I can't be sure. In any case, there has been very little social morphology during my lifetime, so if I am a hipster, I was also a hipster in 1947 (age 9), and I can't recall conforming with the type referenced in post #22 by Fat Freddie.

I suppose for the purposes of this discussion, a "Hipster", as referred to by the OP, could be defined as "A person who obsesses about being poor", since the OP question is not "Do they obsess?' but rather "Why do they obsess?". In other sords, "Why do people who obsess about being poor obsess about being poor?"

Last edited by jtur88; 04-22-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Because they are suffering from some form of mental illness.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,950,175 times
I've come across a lot of hipster "artists" in NYC who think that being a starving artist is cool. A lot of them come from wealthy families and don't work because they don't have to. They think living on the fringes will make them more creative or give them street cred or some such nonsense. Of course, the actual stress and drive that come from being truly poor doesn't exist for them because when they run low on money, mom and dad can send them another check. It's been interesting to see the shift in the NYC theater scene as more and more hipsters are finding that their parents are struggling financially due to job loss, stocks crashing or other economic factors. I know more than a few kids who have been forced to work in a coffee shop for real because mom and dad can't bail them out anymore. I know so many "writers" who haven't written in over a year because they don't have time to write while working 2 jobs.

That said, there are also people who simply like indie music and indie fashion and who happen to be lovely people. My BF's little sister is like that- stylish, knows all the obscure indie bands, the cool places to go, but she's kind to everyone, works hard, and lacks the pretension I come across all too often.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
)))
We should make an experiment and offer each hipster a million bucks. We'll see just how may of them will remain hipsters and resfuse to take the money.
lol!

They would take it and give it all to charity, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's a hipster thing. Get offended and spew acidic gibberish at people for no reason.

PS to whoever asked: I think "hipster" is the new trendy word for "hippie." ie mindless self-righteous morons.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Everything everyone does is out of a desire to feel important.

Hipsters feel important because they have 'figured out' they can live different from mainstream society and be happy.

You and I feel important because we have 'figured out' we can have a good live and support a family working a good job.

Hipsters are slaves to the current trends just like the rest of us. If mainstream society was to wear tight jeans and ride bikes around cities, hipsters would stop doing it.

That is what psychology would say.

Me? I think they are lazy. I think they just don't realize actually caring about a job and work can be enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates