Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,902,345 times

Advertisements

Or brag about how little they have?
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".

Sorry. I'm annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".

Sorry. I'm annoyed.
I'm not sure what a hipster is. But, I have known people like that. An assumed sense of superiority because of self-imposed poverty.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not sure what a hipster is. But, I have known people like that. An assumed sense of superiority because of self-imposed poverty.
Is that worse than an assumed sense of superiority because of self-imposed Opulence? People who gloat about how much they DO have?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,178,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not sure what a hipster is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is that worse than an assumed sense of superiority because of self-imposed Opulence? People who gloat about how much they DO have? And then their self-effacing opprobrium about how deeply in debt they are, because they can't afford it, either.
Found one.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,226,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is that worse than an assumed sense of superiority because of self-imposed Opulence? People who gloat about how much they DO have? And then their self-effacing opprobrium about how deeply in debt they are, because they can't afford it, either.
No. Pls tell us there's a point there.

PS what is up your butt about people who aren't poor or committed the horrific crime of making a good life for themselves? Did a rich person call your mom a dirty name recently or something?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No. Pls tell us there's a point there.

PS what is up your butt about people who aren't poor or committed the horrific crime of making a good life for themselves? Did a rich person call your mom a dirty name recently or something?
Oh, I get it now. You obsess about your having correctly identified "good life", and then proceed to demean people whose idea of a "good life" is faulty, i.e., different from yours. When in fact, you're just in denial about how foolishly you spent thousands of dollars on things that you don't want and don't need and barely used and would be lucky to get $100 for in a yard sale.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
uhhhh whatever. I guess that made sense to you in your own little bizarro way.

Now I get it: you're on meds. Hey np. Suggest you coord w/the doc on the dosage though.
Have your mommy talk to your pediatrician about your last two messages.

Ignore. Goodbye.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,902,345 times
I ride my bike everywhere because I don't want to buy a car. That's conforming to society.
*wears scarf*
*buys expensive coffee*
*bikes to Whole Foods*

I am so unique

Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,291,172 times
I wish I was rich lol.

I don't really associate with any hipsters in my area, but they all dress like they're wearing potato sacks. I can't tell if they're homeless.

In my area there are both rich snobs and "rich" poor looking hipsters.

All I want is a little bit more money to put away so I can buy a new lens for my camera.

I guess if you choose to be poor, you ain't poor.

I think (in this scattered post) that I just hate self righteous attitudes and behavior. Whether its someone looking down on me for not making a lot of money, or someone telling me I aught to life a "good life." Yeah I know what eudaimonia means, big whoop.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

Sorry. I'm annoyed.
Not everyone values material goods. There's more to life.

However, I work a full time job, and still find I don't have a lot of excess money once I've paid for rent and basic utilities and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates