Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
lol!

They would take it and give it all to charity, I'm sure!

I'd hand it right back. I have no need for anything I haven't EARNED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Yeah, these hipsters who like to wear poverty like a badge have never truly experienced it. Let's see how well they do when they have to live off of Ramen noodles for six months (and that's when you can afford food) and they get down to 115 pounds (like happened to me one winter).
I've had mayo sandwiches. But sometimes I couldn't afford mayo, and sometimes, I couldn't afford the bread. I'm fine with being poor though.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
You guys make me really glad I don't live in one of the fashionable metropolises. Out here in the boondocks, there are people who are not so well off, and they get along just fine with what they have, and don't ask for more, and are proud and contented and respected. I doubt if they think of themselves as hipsters, nor have they ever heard the word. After reading all this, I can picture in my mind the metro-hipsters that you doubtless need to endure, but I've never actually seen one.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Or brag about how little they have?
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".
It's a weird way of justifying their presence in neighborhoods where many of the other (original) residents are poor. Makes 'em feel like they belong...which is actually an indication of just how strange they are!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You guys make me really glad I don't live in one of the fashionable metropolises. Out here in the boondocks, there are people who are not so well off, and they get along just fine with what they have, and don't ask for more, and are proud and contented and respected. I doubt if they think of themselves as hipsters, nor have they ever heard the word. After reading all this, I can picture in my mind the metro-hipsters that you doubtless need to endure, but I've never actually seen one.
Yeah, in these parts they're called "white trash" or "trailer trash". But I don't care. Just because I'm poor doesn't mean I don't have value.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM

I've seen the same phenomenon among world-traveling backpackers. They're out there in Cambodia or Bolivia riding the chicken busses and staying in youth hostels, but when they wish they had brought along their favorite pair of sandals, they phone daddy and ask him to send them by DHL overnight.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Or brag about how little they have?
I just don't understand at all. It's not even like they really are poor people whom try to make the best of what they have..they intentionally don't work (or work many hours) so they can brag and say "I don't have cable TV ".

Sorry. I'm annoyed.
Well I don't have cable TV by choice, not because I can't afford it. I'd also prefer more spare time over many "creature comforts" I'm not sure what's wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Working on securing a future and getting a professional working job takes thousands of days of your life, which you have only a finite number of. What's wrong with keeping those days for yourself, and learning to flourish and fulfill your needs within a minimalist lifestyle, and then own more days and years of your own life, instead of leasing it to somebody else?

I don't owe my life to you, to fulfill some need you have to keep everybody on your horizon spinning the hamster wheel. I owe my life to myself.

Why do you think it is so reprehensible for a person to drive a '97 Camry instead of a '10 Escalade, and just not bother earning the extra $50,000, and using the days of his own life so do something personally redeeming to himself?

Some people actually HAVE a life, and going to work every day is not it.
Some people actually enjoy their job and like the fancy cars for completely personal reasons too. (it's not just transportation)

Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Is it a perception of ingratitude or lack of authenticity that bothers you most?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well I don't have cable TV by choice, not because I can't afford it. I'd also prefer more spare time over many "creature comforts" I'm not sure what's wrong with that.
That's what I was going to say. Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe we don't WANT cable TV? Why would I waste a chunk of my paycheck on something that really has nothing to offer me? I've seen nothing but crap on TV for at least the past 20 years. What's shown on TV now is about as thought-provoking as the program 'Owww My Balls Hurt' in the movie Idiocracy. It's largely swill on TV these days. Oh, except the weather channel when they don't get too political. But then I can get the weather online.

Quote:
...like the fancy cars for completely personal reasons too. (it's not just transportation)
I'd have to disagree with you about cars though. They ARE just transportation, and rather annoying forms of transportation at that. I'm looking forward to someone coming up with something that renders cars obsolete. Beam me up, Scotty. Or actually, let's go back to walking and horses. Horses have brains enough to 'drive safely.' They don't go around colliding with each other.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Some people actually enjoy their job and like the fancy cars for completely personal reasons too. (it's not just transportation)
That's fine, but you offered this as a response to my question of why people think it is so reprehensible to think otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates