Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
How about we talk about money donated to another country:
Money is sent to another country providing that they pay all of our equipment, or medical stuff so that the money comes right back to the US.

Try again.

I'm talking about the American people who donate

Nice try.

Are you American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Well said. Good description, only left out one thing - owning guns.
Which clause did he leave it out of? That would be relevant.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm talking about the American people who donate

Nice try.

Are you American?
Let's make sure that we understand each other. There is a difference between the decisions that are made by those in power and those of us that are not in power. You will never have the luxury of donating in the same manner as the aforementioned.

Nothing is being asked of you but to acknowledge. You are not asked to feel guilty. You are not asked to take responsibility. The longer that you attempt to justify or evade or pretend----the more ammunition that you give. It also shows a lack of knowledge of international politics and history.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Let's make sure that we understand each other. There is a difference between the decisions that are made by those in power and those of us that are not in power. You will never have the luxury of donating in the same manner as the aforementioned.

Nothing is being asked of you but to acknowledge. You are not asked to feel guilty. You are not asked to take responsibility. The longer that you attempt to justify or evade or pretend----the more ammunition that you give. It also shows a lack of knowledge of international politics and history.
You are right, you and I cannot donate the type of money that the rich of USA do.. but the rich of the other parts of the world could do this, but they do not donate to the same degree that Americans do.

It is unfair to pin greed on Americans.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM

It is not.

How the hell DO YOU think the US became a world power?

It was assumed there was 5 trillion dollars worth of resources available.

It is greed, baby. Greed.

It doesn't make you greedy. It doesn't make me greedy. It means that there is corporate greed. It is simple. Nothing more is required but acknowledgement.

We cannot blindly defend these actions.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 AM

979 posts, read 4,457,714 times
Quote:
It is not.

How the hell DO YOU think the US became a world power?

It was assumed there was 5 trillion dollars worth of resources available.

It is greed, baby. Greed.

It doesn't make you greedy. It doesn't make me greedy. It means that there is corporate greed. It is simple. Nothing more is required but acknowledgement.

We cannot blindly defend these actions.
OP poses the question, "Can America become less greedy?".
Less greedy than what?
The Romans in Gaul?
The Persians in Greece?
the Belgians in the Congo?
The Chinese in Darfur?
The Soviets in Eastern Europe?
My dog when he eats the cat's food?
This is a pointless argument since there is no legal definition of "greed". It is a subjective definition with people drawing a line wherever they want.
Quote:
It doesn't make me greedy
How do I know you're not greedy? Do you have 2 cars? How new are they? What about central AC. Do you have a hot tub? If you had indoor plumbing in a neighborhood that no one else does then I'd be Hat'n on you.
For every abuse by a US corporation overseas, in conjunction with locals, I might add, I can point out a US corporation that has tried to be fair. At least by my definition of "greed' and "fair".
The US has been responsible for the invention of many things but we did not invent "greed" by anybody's definition.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
OP poses the question, "Can America become less greedy?".
Less greedy than what?
The Romans in Gaul?
The Persians in Greece?
the Belgians in the Congo?
The Chinese in Darfur?
The Soviets in Eastern Europe?
My dog when he eats the cat's food?
This is a pointless argument since there is no legal definition of "greed". It is a subjective definition with people drawing a line wherever they want. How do I know you're not greedy? Do you have 2 cars? How new are they? What about central AC. Do you have a hot tub? If you had indoor plumbing in a neighborhood that no one else does then I'd be Hat'n on you.
For every abuse by a US corporation overseas, in conjunction with locals, I might add, I can point out a US corporation that has tried to be fair. At least by my definition of "greed' and "fair".
The US has been responsible for the invention of many things but we did not invent "greed" by anybody's definition.
It isn't about inventing it. And, I don't think there is a need for a legal definition of greed. If it is pointless, then why participate?

But again, trying to make comparisons as justification will not get it.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 AM

979 posts, read 4,457,714 times
Quote:
It isn't about inventing it. And, I don't think there is a need for a legal definition of greed. If it is pointless, then why participate?

But again, trying to make comparisons as justification will not get it.
No justification is intended. Simply reminding you and the OP that perseverating on "greedy America" is historically naive.
I participate in order to show you the error of your ways.
You need to define "greed" then.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
The greed is the America's "trademark" and its wild capitalism, that puts profits as the most important thing of the world, leaving behind ethics, morality, family, friendship, etc...
You look at 350,000,000 people through one lens. Why? You are typecasting. We are all not one. Not every American is a greedy, arrogant twit any more than every person living under Stalin was a totalitarian, or every German in Nazi Germany worked in a death camp, or every Japanese in WW2 was a kamikaze, or every Middle Easterner is a terrorist, or every resident in Vlad Tepes' Wallachia was a vampire... or every Swiss yodels.

Not all Americans are greedy, power hungry, super-sized capitalists... just most of them. So let's not paint with such a broad brush, K?

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-09-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You look at 350,000,000 people through one lens. Why? You are typecasting. We are all not one. Not every American is a greedy, arrogant twit any more than every person living under Stalin was a totalitarian, or every every German in Nazi Germany worked in a death camp, or every Japanese in WW2 was a kamikaze, or every Middle Easterner is a terrorist, or every resident in Vlad Tepes' Wallachia was a vampire... or every Swiss yodels.

Not all Americans are greedy, power hungry, super-sized capitalists... just most of them. So let's not paint with such a broad brush, K?
Of the examples you cited, about how many of them can you say "just most of them"? Would it change your view of Wallachians if "most of them" were vampires? Would it change your view of Wisconsin if "most people" had body parts in their fridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates