Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why do White people always want to have it both ways?
Actually one way.

Ever notice that there are never any threads about any other ethnocentric programs, organizations or whatever?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually one way.

Ever notice that there are never any threads about any other ethnocentric programs, organizations or whatever?
What programs and whos complaining?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
This starts with Black Americans taking back our history. Teaching our children about our accomplishments and contributions. Reinforcing the proud in our heritage to our children.

Why do White people always want to have it both ways? They want Blacks to forget who they are and where they come from and they want us to simply conform to what they want us to be (for them). White people generally are happiest when Black people are the "Good Negro" who know their place and have less than they do.
This is actually kind of refreshing. I will sometimes see at websites a couple of white racists talking to each other (but really talking to anyone who will read their posts), saying things like, "Why do black folks talk at the movie screen like the movie actors can hear them?" Or, "Why is it that black shoppers always spend extra time looking for their food stamps when they get to the cashier?" You know, moronic, racist generalizations designed to insult. The other white racist will usually respond with an "LOL" or some such thing. I'll sometimes enter a post saying "you boys need to go to a douchebag, racist website like Stromfront to post. That's Stormfront, with the emphasis on douchebag and racist." It rarely does any good, but I try.

So now I see a couple black racists posting silly, anti white stuff, including your post. It's kind of refreshing since, quite frankly, I don't see it as often as the white racists. I have to admit that my enjoyment in seeing these posts is somewhat tempered by the sudden realization that you black racists might all be the same guy. I'll have to check and see if perhaps you guys have identical misspelled words.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I want to have a response to you guys the way I have responded to white racists. I suppose it would be only fair that I did. But maybe I won't... or maybe I just have.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
By your reasoning any explanation of a condition that manifest AFTER the fact of the event that caused is an excuse.

Let me give you an abstract example of the flaw of your reasoning, by employing a situation that you can relate to without bias. On 911 2001, planes struck the twin towers and many people died, yet, many other survived and made it out those buildings. Question: Does the fact that some made it out the building mean that they ALL should have made it out? Even though they were all "Victims" of the attack and faced more pain than those who were not in the buildings, they all did not face the same circumstance within those buildings. Some people were simply in a better position and location to escape than were others. Would you blame those deaths on the individuals who did not make it out.......just because you talked the other day to somone who was in the building that day.....but survived? Of course not, yet, you attempt to use blacks who have found success to invalidate those who have not.

You can make your sophistry-filled analogies all day long, but that does does mitigate the fact that blacks in America have access to the same educational institutions, opportunities and jobs that whites have. The only thing holding anybody back in this country is him or her self. If one black man can become a mechanical engineer then they all can.

Quote:
That culture was shaped by the dominant culture.
That is open to interpretation.

Quote:
It does not exist in a vacuum of "blackness", but rather, is a by product of the treatment of black America by white America...that we internalized.

Yes, it's always Whitey's fault isn't it?

Quote:
Right now I would say that you are oppressing truth. What makes you qualified to say what demands are reasonable when you demonstrate so little respect for the situation black are in?
Because I COME FROM POVERTY. I have seen everybody around me on welfare. I have seen people having kids they can't afford to support and getting stuck in vicious cycles. There is a poor white underclass out there and they are quite real. They don't get affirmitive action. They aren't treated with kid's gloves, celebrated and fawned over like the black underclass and their tribulations are.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
They want Blacks to forget who they are and where they come from
I don't want anybody to forget where they came from. I just don't like special treatment for anybody. I don't think it's fair how some groups are given "extras" and allowed to get away with more because of stuff that is history. Swinging the pendulum back the other way too far to compensate for past hardships is not equality. When the pendulum sits idle, motionless and in the middle; that is equality.

Quote:
White people generally are happiest when Black people are the "Good Negro" who know their place and have less than they do.
Spare me the disgruntled, smug, presumptuous and proud black male hero act. You don't know me and your generalizations are just as racist as anything from David Duke.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Actually one way.

I should note that I do not have a legal problem with these schools. It's a free country. You can start up a school called "White people are the Devil Institute" and enroll kids in it if you want.

I don't want blacks to forget their oppression or their history. I don't want blacks to forsake their culture and give in to the "dominant white culture". I want a society where there is no longer tension and enstrangement between the races. I will criticize white racism that is impeding minorities right along with the more destructive proclivities of said minorities. I let both sides have it because both sides deserve it.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post

You can make your sophistry-filled analogies all day long, but that does does mitigate the fact that blacks in America have access to the same educational institutions, opportunities and jobs that whites have. The only thing holding anybody back in this country is him or her self. If one black man can become a mechanical engineer then they all can.

That is just totally ignorant. For one thing.....opportunity is not infinit. You act as if all you have to do is follow certain steps and you can have whatever you want. If that was the case why do we have recessions and depressions? Are recessions caused by an increase in laziness?

Life is a competition for survival or degree there of. There is a limited supply of certain things and people have to race to the finish line to get them. Each generation is in a relay race. Every child that is born is handed a baton in this race that starts off where his or her parents left off when they were born. Hence, when you inherit a disadvantage from your parents....you have more distance to make up to catch up and you might have other "hurdles" in front of you, in degree or kind, that your competitors do not. In fact, you have to be SUPERIOR to your competition just to catch up. If you are running as fast as you can and so is your competition....you cannot catch up unless you are a superior runner. If you run the same speed as your compettion that you lag.....how can you catch up? Thus, yes.....black people have been allowed to now run in this race. The same finish lines that exist for you exists for us. The difference is, though, we are not starting the race off EVEN. So the fact that we are now allowed in the race and race to the same goals as whites, unless we are superior than you....we will never catch you. Hence, that is why whites get to the finish line for the prizes before we do.

Quote:

That is open to interpretation.

So what is yours?

Quote:

Yes, it's always Whitey's fault isn't it?
Nope....I stated before that blacks have problems that are of our own making.....just like whites have problems that are of their own making. We are no more or less likely to be our own worst enemy than are whites....if not for our different histories.

Quote:

Because I COME FROM POVERTY. I have seen everybody around me on welfare. I have seen people having kids they can't afford to support and getting stuck in vicious cycles. There is a poor white underclass out there and they are quite real. They don't get affirmitive action. They aren't treated with kid's gloves, celebrated and fawned over like the black underclass and their tribulations are.
Again......there is only a double standard if groups with the same history are treated differently. The white poor make up a small percentage of the white population while over a quarter of blacks live in poverty. This is the legacy of oppression. This is why it demands attention.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Actually one way.

These people never complain about Jewish people sending their children to Hebrew school or Europeans in the US sending their children to "French" schools. It is perfectly fine that Jewish people want to immerse their children in Jewish culture. It is absolutely A-OK that Europeans living in America do not want their children to assimilate by placing them in "French" schools.....but let Black people try to educate their children on their heritage and all hell breaks lose amongst the "special treatment" police.

Hebrew School Directory - Chabad-Lubavitch Centers

Lycee Francais de Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by calipoppy; 05-14-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I don't want anybody to forget where they came from. I just don't like special treatment for anybody. I don't think it's fair how some groups are given "extras" and allowed to get away with more because of stuff that is history. Swinging the pendulum back the other way too far to compensate for past hardships is not equality. When the pendulum sits idle, motionless and in the middle; that is equality.

Please explain how educating Black children about their heritage is special treatment?

Spare me the disgruntled, smug, presumptuous and proud black male hero act. You don't know me and your generalizations are just as racist as anything from David Duke.

FYI, I am a proud Black woman who believes that it is critical to educate our youth about their heritage.
And what I really want to know is.....why do certain types of White people fight so hard against Black people knowing their history? Why are they so threatened by Black children learning about our past in this nation?

Those White people would like for Black history in America to consist of two sentences: Crispus Attucks was one of the first to die in the Revolutionary War and Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. fought for civil rights. They get really uncomfortable with anything more being taught about our contributions to this nation.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I have had the pleasure of meeting individuals from other countries who are in the US to study African centered educational institutions and curriculum's. Their respective Governments have funded their research.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-14-2010 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates