Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When White people become "colorblind" maybe we will reconsider taking extra steps to educate our children to have proud in their heritage....until then this is just another example of how people with no stake in "our" progress attempt to control what we do.

People will never be colorblind, get over it. If white people have to be, everyone else should be as well. I wasn't trying to ignore the main part of your post, I did that by accident.

I will, therefore, address it again.

It isn't about fear of an "empowered, educated black child", my objection is that instead of just teaching about African culture (which, btw, most African Americans have absolutely NOTHING in common with Africans apart from skin color..fascinating to learn about REAL African cultures, though) they should be teaching WORLD history and teaching about cultures of the WORLD. The problem here is that if "European Americans" (see, you can do the African American thing, why should I just be "white"?) started teaching with an emphasis on EUROPEAN culture, black Americans would raise hell over it.

People don't object when Jewish kids send their kids to Hebrew school because that has much more to do with religion than race, just like Catholics can send their kids to Catholic school and Protestants can send their kids to a Protestant private school (which I attended, but more because the kids at the public jr. high liked to mess with me all the time.)

Also, when you say "European children attending French schools" what exactly do you mean? Kids that are actually in Europe that attend French schools, or kids of European descent in the US attending French schools? European and American ideas concerning education are very different.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why do you folks always resort to hyperbole?

Anyway, what would I think of a school called Marcus Garvey Academy, Joseph Littles-Nguzo Saba Charter School, Wakisha Charter School, or my afrocentric alma mater St. Augustine High School probably the same that I would think about Booker T. Washington, Carter G. Woodson, Phylis Wheatly, or St. Peter Claver.

Again, hyperbole. How about Thomas Edison, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee High School, or, my favorite, Stonewall Jackson High School?

*all the schools listed do presently exist.
There's a big difference between Martin Luther King High School and a school that labels itself specifically Afrocentric. And there is a big difference between Lincoln Elementary and a school that would label itself as specifically a white school. But good try.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
People will never be colorblind, get over it. If white people have to be, everyone else should be as well. I wasn't trying to ignore the main part of your post, I did that by accident.

I will, therefore, address it again.

It isn't about fear of an "empowered, educated black child", my objection is that instead of just teaching about African culture (which, btw, most African Americans have absolutely NOTHING in common with Africans apart from skin color..fascinating to learn about REAL African cultures, though) they should be teaching WORLD history and teaching about cultures of the WORLD. The problem here is that if "European Americans" (see, you can do the African American thing, why should I just be "white"?) started teaching with an emphasis on EUROPEAN culture, black Americans would raise hell over it.

People don't object when Jewish kids send their kids to Hebrew school because that has much more to do with religion than race, just like Catholics can send their kids to Catholic school and Protestants can send their kids to a Protestant private school (which I attended, but more because the kids at the public jr. high liked to mess with me all the time.)

Also, when you say "European children attending French schools" what exactly do you mean? Kids that are actually in Europe that attend French schools, or kids of European descent in the US attending French schools? European and American ideas concerning education are very different.
I think the underlying question isn't, Should blacks be allowed their own schools? The underlying question is, If blacks get their own schools, do whites get their own schools? And I don't know how you couldn't answer that question with a "yes". And therein lies a 50 year step backwards. Kids in their first years of social development seeing that segregation is the way of society.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When White people become "colorblind" maybe we will reconsider taking extra steps to educate our children to have proud in their heritage....until then this is just another example of how people with no stake in "our" progress attempt to control what we do.
I'm not trying to control what anybody does. I just find it annoying that we live in a society where there is a Black Entertainment Channel and where African-Americans get extra points on civil service exams. I am aghast that people can't see that this is reverse racism and if the same things were afforded to white people (a White Entertainment Channel for example) Al Sharpton would be howling in the streets.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Nope just wanted to state the facts about Fenger.. You just made Fenger and the Roseland neighborhood sound unlike how it really is.
I didn't make it sound anything. I have not encountered a kid that attended that school that did not have problems. I'm sure that Fenger has a fan club of kids that love the school, I am sure they exist but I don't know any of them. My god, rhawkins, she was beaten to the point of not being able to get up. I guess that I could slam Calumet City or Markham or South Holland or Gary, Hammond or East Chicago, if you like.

I am tired of zero tolerance, fear, guns, death, gangs, bullying, the waste of resources on testing and indifference. Tired may not be accurate, angry is much better.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
There's a big difference between Martin Luther King High School and a school that labels itself specifically Afrocentric. And there is a big difference between Lincoln Elementary and a school that would label itself as specifically a white school. But good try.
You seem to confuse an afrocentric curriculum with racial exclusivity. What would differentiate a "white school" from any other school?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I just find it annoying that we live in a society where there is a Black Entertainment Channel.
I find this the weirdest complaint that I can think of. Sort of like being annoyed because Vogue or Ladies Home Journal exists. Heaven knows a private corporation should market a product to a niche audience!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, puleeeeze!

Anyone notice a reluctance to exalt western civilization, the Founding Fathers, Galileo, Newton, or Mozart?
In the recognition of those men and their contributions and talents there is not a component of celebration in regards to their racial heritage. We don't prattle on and on about how Mozart was a "fine example of a white musical prodigy" or how Newton was a "caucasian genius". But, we have a black history month where the titans of black achievement are specifically singled out for their race.

White people are not allowed to be proud of or mention their race. Black people are allowed to. It is a double standard and if you can't see it then pull your head out of your ass. This kind of clannish and tribalistic bull**** from minorities encourages separatism and division between the races much more than the white supremacists ever could.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I find this the weirdest complaint that I can think of. Sort of like being annoyed because Vogue or Ladies Home Journal exists. Heaven knows a private corporation should market a product to a niche audience!
You know damn well that if a white businessman were to promote a mainstream and nationwide product purely aimed at white people he would ridiculed by the media, peppered with threats, boycotted and hated.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
You seem to confuse an afrocentric curriculum with racial exclusivity. What would differentiate a "white school" from any other school?
I'll tell you, I have been waiting for this very post. I knew it was coming. To be honest, I thought I'd see it in the first five or six posts. It's kind of like the argument that blacks should have BET because whites have the regular networks as specifically their networks. Of course that's not true, they are not specifically white networks. Too much whiteness in a mainstream network, or even a program, and out comes protests (a-la Friends). And since those networks aren't for whites, I am all for the outcry.

Anyhow, a regular public school is not a "white school", of course. You know that because you are smart enough to type on a computer keyboard. Naturally a white school would be specifically for white people. Over the front door it could have "Euro-centric" in its name (or "For White Kids"). Of course anyone regardless of race could attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates