Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Fenger. My bad. Anything else?
Nope just wanted to state the facts about Fenger.. You just made Fenger and the Roseland neighborhood sound unlike how it really is.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First of all, I have yet to find an Afrocentric charter school which denies students of other races from attending, so let's just just throw out "separate but equal" argument.

Secondly, we still recognize a place for schools that are segregated based upon sex based upon perceived differences needed for a successful academic career.

So, if we accept, as the Supreme Court has, that there is a place for voluntary programs which target a particular student body to foster an educational environment more conducive to their learning experience, what is the problem?
Let me ask you this; What would you think of a school that is technically available for all to attend, but is called "The School For White People"? And again, legally anyone could attend the school.

So, we can have Afrocentric schools, how about an insitute of learning called The School For White People? What's your feelings when considering the other side of the same coin?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Default Heaven forbid that Blacks educate their children

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I've read a lot about Afrocentric schools over the years. I just simply cannot get my mind around the idea that an Afrocentric school is anything other than a racial segregated school. I just read this African American students are thriving in Afro-centric schools | jacksonville.com.

Many of the words and phrases used to defend Afrocentric schools, are the same words and phrases used in the 50s and early 60s by Southern whites folks trying to rationalize segregation. The only difference is that today those words are being spoken by blacks.

So do all cultures (including white culture) get their own specific public schools, or do we all integrate? That's the question.

I always find it interesting when someone questions the empowerment of young Black minds and the efforts which are being undertaken to provide them with a good education and a healthy grasp of who they are and what they can be in this world.

Black children need the reinforcement of their "goodness" to counteract the negative that they will encounter in a society that is not colorblind.

Everything in popular culture equates "Black" or "dark" with "bad" or "negative"......

Examples:

In a black mood
Black-hearted
The man in the black hat and riding the black horse is a villian
A black cat is bad luck
The black sheep of the family is usually the outcast
Black is a symbol of death and mourning
Black magic is satanic
Black witches are evil
People are blacklisted or blackballed when they are being excluded
A blackmailer has intentions to cause harm
A black mark against someone's reputation relates to something negative they have done
Darkness denotes the presence of evil or a depressed state of mind
etc, etc.....

Why are "certain" people threatened when actions are taken to provide a solid education Black children? I never hear the same complaints about Jewish children attending Hebrew school or Europeans sending their children to French school. So, why the fear of an educated and empowered Black child?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I always find it interesting when someone questions the empowerment of young Black minds and the efforts which are being undertaken to provide them with a good education and a healthy grasp of who they are and what they can be in this world.

Black children need the reinforcement of their "goodness" to counteract the negative that they will encounter in a society that is not colorblind.

Everything in popular culture equates "Black" or "dark" with "bad" or "negative"......

Examples:

In a black mood
Black-hearted
The man in the black hat and riding the black horse is a villian
A black cat is bad luck
The black sheep of the family is usually the outcast
Black is a symbol of death and mourning
Black magic is satanic
Black witches are evil
People are blacklisted or blackballed when they are being excluded
A blackmailer has intentions to cause harm
A black mark against someone's reputation relates to something negative they have done
Darkness denotes the presence of evil or a depressed state of mind
etc, etc.....

Why are "certain" people threatened when actions are taken to provide a solid education Black children? I never hear the same complaints about Jewish children attending Hebrew school or Europeans sending their children to French school. So, why the fear of an educated and empowered Black child?
It's not about the fear of an educated or empowered black child, it's that by having Afrocentric schools, it seems like they are segretating themselves instead of integrating, which can cause and HAS caused many problems before. Not only that, but by having a school listed as "for black children's success" or "Afrocentric", it is exclusionary to other races by name- how many Asians or Latins/Latinos are going to send their kids to a school like that?

Also, a lot of those things aren't "popular culture", many of those have been around for far longer than white people have been exposed to black people. Besides, many other cultures besides our own equate "black" or "dark" to something being negative. Nice try, though.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It's not about the fear of an educated or empowered black child, it's that by having Afrocentric schools, it seems like they are segretating themselves instead of integrating, which can cause and HAS caused many problems before. Not only that, but by having a school listed as "for black children's success" or "Afrocentric", it is exclusionary to other races by name- how many Asians or Latins/Latinos are going to send their kids to a school like that?

Also, a lot of those things aren't "popular culture", many of those have been around for far longer than white people have been exposed to black people. Besides, many other cultures besides our own equate "black" or "dark" to something being negative. Nice try, though.
Thank you for avoiding the main point of my post.

So, I will ask again.......why is this same concern not expressed regarding Jewish children attending Hebrew school or European children attending French school?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Actually Asian parents (and many white parents) will gladly send their kids to any public school that is strong academically. In fact, some ppl may even purposely choose to enroll their non-black kids in these schools so that their smart/gifted children can overachieve, plus it differentiates them on college applications from the millions of upper-middleclass students going to regular suburban schools.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
It equates to reverse racism which in this politically-correct day and age is tolerated to an odious degree. Blacks are allowed to exalt their skin color, culture and heritage. But, if a white person were to do the same they would be castigated as a vile racist.

If we really want a color-blind society, some of our fellow citizens need to stop playing the victim and stop focusing on race. How can we be one nation when minorities engage in such mindless anti-white separatism?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It equates to reverse racism which in this politically-correct day and age is tolerated to an odious degree. Blacks are allowed to exalt their skin color, culture and heritage. But, if a white person were to do the same they would be castigated as a vile racist.

If we really want a color-blind society, some of our fellow citizens need to stop playing the victim and stop focusing on race. How can we be one nation when minorities engage in such mindless anti-white separatism?
When White people become "colorblind" maybe we will reconsider taking extra steps to educate our children to have proud in their heritage....until then this is just another example of how people with no stake in "our" progress attempt to control what we do.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Let me ask you this; What would you think of a school that is technically available for all to attend, but is called "The School For White People"? And again, legally anyone could attend the school.
Why do you folks always resort to hyperbole?

Anyway, what would I think of a school called Marcus Garvey Academy, Joseph Littles-Nguzo Saba Charter School, Wakisha Charter School, or my afrocentric alma mater St. Augustine High School probably the same that I would think about Booker T. Washington, Carter G. Woodson, Phylis Wheatly, or St. Peter Claver.

Quote:
So, we can have Afrocentric schools, how about an insitute of learning called The School For White People? What's your feelings when considering the other side of the same coin?
Again, hyperbole. How about Thomas Edison, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee High School, or, my favorite, Stonewall Jackson High School?

*all the schools listed do presently exist.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Oh, puleeeeze!

Anyone notice a reluctance to exalt western civilization, the Founding Fathers, Galileo, Newton, or Mozart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates