Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Those types of people have a vested interest in keeping Blacks on the bottom of the totem pole.
You must be a troll. There is no other explanation for you being so dense as to have ignored/misread all of my statements. I never said I want black people on the bottom.

Quote:
Black progress and empowerment is always met with cries of...Affirmative Action...."hand-outs"....special treatment.
I don't consider a handout to be progress and empowerment. It breeds dependency and lowers standards.

Quote:
These cries are nearly always followed by sabotage, treachery, backstabbing and deceit on their part. These are the ill-intentioned little voices who ask "Why Blacks this"...."Why Blacks that" as a means to elevate themselves while attemping to put a boot on our necks.
Preach it sistah! Preach it!

Quote:
We (Black people) need to continue to educate our children about our history. We need to try and reach those who have lost their way. We must instill those values of community in the young which we lost nearly 50 years ago. And we need to silence/drown out those voices whose sole purpose is to derail the process.
I pray that you are successful. Please tell your young black males to stop killing each other so much and committing violent crimes at such high rates. Please tell them to stop abandoning their pregnant girlfriends so that 70% of black mothers are not raising single children. Please tell them to stop being incarcerated so much which takes them out of the workforce and makes them less productive. Please tell them to take their academics more seriously so that they have the capability of pursuing a career/educational path if they so desire.

It would make me ecstatic to see improvements in the black community and conversely in places like my hometown. The fight can and will be long and hard, but it can be done.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Really? As I grew up in my hometown with a damn near 40% poverty rate and I watched as the kids who were a few years ahead of me turn into small-town wastes/losers...and this was my positive reinforcement that I could be anything I wanted to be?

This is one of the main causes of the tensions between the races - this inveterate and reflexive attitude that because one is a minority that it somehow confers a special and unique hardship that only you can understand. Newflash: Blacks aren't the only ones who have to struggle.

I'm not jealous of anything. For the umpteenth-million time - I want equality. My idea of equality seems to be different from yours.

I have no excuse for what? Being lower working-class? I choose to live as I do and I don't complain about it. I come from less than favorable circumstances and you don't hear me whining about present or historical roadblocks that are in my way. If I want something I go after it. Blacks are totally capable of doing the same (as can be evidenced by black professionals who exist in this country).

And I would criticize my fellow whites just as much if there was such a large contingent of them who whined, played the victim and expected a handout in order to attain some slanted version of "equality" when the avenues of success had been opened to us - if we only put forth the effort to go down them.
I'm sorry but your posts read like a fat person trying to hand-out dieting tips.

One would hope that someone in your situation would be attempting to reach for higher education or other career advancements versus trying to solve the issues of Black America one post at a time.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
In my job, I have been asked several times to create positions within the company for or hire the friends, relatives and acquaintances of the owners and their sons. Often they are less qualified and usually are hired in at a higher salary than others who are doing the same or similar work. And if those other people knew how much less they were making to do the same work (or more), I would have a revolt on my hands.
And black cronyism and nepotism don't exist? Not that I am condoning white versions of these things, but these situations are normal when it comes to family and friend connections.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but your posts read like a fat person trying to hand-out dieting tips.

One would hope that someone in your situation would be attempting to reach for higher education or other career advancements versus trying to solve the issues of Black America one post at a time.
I don't have kids so I don't have to earn a lot of money. I support myself, pay my bills, don't cause problems in the community and don't make excuses. If I didn't do these things then you would have every right to chastise me. But, given that I accomplish every one of these things on a daily basis, you have no right to say anything about my life or my lifestyle.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
[quote=iwonderwhy2124;14183379]Really? As I grew up in my hometown with a damn near 40% poverty rate and I watched as the kids who were a few years ahead of me turn into small-town wastes/losers...and this was my positive reinforcement that I could be anything I wanted to be?

You could have looked at the color of the 60%, the white majority, to give you the belief that there is nothing keeping the white male down. In fact, I am sure the wealthiest people in that small town were white....right? So everything racial was still in your favor. Now in regards to class....that is another story. Blacks deal with race and class issues...while whites only deal with class issues.

This is one of the main causes of the tensions between the races - this inveterate and reflexive attitude that because one is a minority that it somehow confers a special and unique hardship that only you can understand. Newflash: Blacks aren't the only ones who have to struggle.

You just don't understand. The issue with blacks is not just about CLASS, its mostly about RACE? You may have been poor but have you ever been taught or conditioned not to believe in yourself because of your race? Do you exist in a nation where cities that are white majority are constantly denigrated? Are your ancestors roots constantly denigrated and depicted as inferior? Do you live in a nation where another racial group with a long history of dislike and discrimination against whites control 90% of positions of power and authority and hence face built in and institutionalized obstacles?

No....THAT is one of the main reasons for the tensions between the races - this willful ignorance that attempts to equate class and race.

I'm not jealous of anything. For the umpteenth-million time - I want equality. My idea of equality seems to be different from yours.

If you wanted equality....really.....and believed that blacks and white naturally should be equal.....then you have to promote equality by efforts to get black numbers to the levels of white....or....to get white numbers to the level of blacks. If not.....you are really not "for equality". What you really mean is that you want whites to be able to have a "white history month", "White entertainment Network", "Eurocentric schools" etc. In other words, You want to go back to the good ole days of "white pride". When you are sitting on top of the world, as whites are, white pride is simply an attempt to stay there....by any means necessary.

I have no excuse for what? Being lower working-class? I choose to live as I do and I don't complain about it. I come from less than favorable circumstances and you don't hear me whining about present or historical roadblocks that are in my way. If I want something I go after it. Blacks are totally capable of doing the same (as can be evidenced by black professionals who exist in this country).

There is a reason that you are in the situation you are in. In other words, there is a reason, if not explanation, for everything. There is a reason that you choose to be lower working class. However, none of those reasons are related to RACE or GENDER, given that you are part of the dominant group - white males. So whether you seek to complain, excuse or whine....does not change the fact that there is a REASON that you made those choices and are in the situation you are today.

And I would criticize my fellow whites just as much if there was such a large contingent of them who whined, played the victim and expected a handout in order to attain some slanted version of "equality" when the avenues of success had been opened to us - if we only put forth the effort to go down them.

Fortunately white people are morally and intellectually superior....as demonstrated by their superior behavior to blacks.....so thats not something you will ever have to stay up worrying about...huh?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Shocking!

YouTube - White Doll, Black Doll. Which one is the nice doll?

This is what whites fail to understand and realize is the legacy and reality of racial oppression.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-15-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 05:27 PM

177 posts, read 256,619 times
"White Version of an Afrocentric Schools"

That is what has always been in place in ALL of the Americas.

You can't install something that has already been in place since the beginning.

This is why hispanic women dye their hair blond and black women use deadly chemicals to straighten their hair. They also use light colored contact lenses.

This is a DISGRACE!

Since 1492 we have been taught lies about being cannibals when the real cannibals were the vikings who traveled to the Caribbean to fill their bellies with human flesh.

We Native People were NEVER cannibals. There was no war among the Native Peoples of the Americas until the forked-tongue invaders came on our shores.

Our People were mis-educated by your white-centric education system.

Just like today. You give access to your own kind to ivy league schools and build community colleges in our neighborhoods. This is an automatic set up to make yourselves the boss and the poor your employees.

So please, stop making yourselves out to be the victims once again.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You could have looked at the color of the 60%, the white majority, to give you the belief that there is nothing keeping the white male down. In fact, I am sure the wealthiest people in that small town were white....right? So everything racial was still in your favor. Now in regards to class....that is another story. Blacks deal with race and class issues...while whites only deal with class issues.

If the racial barriers in this country are so overwhelming and dream-killing then why are there black professionals everywhere?

Quote:
If you wanted equality....really.....and believed that blacks and white naturally should be equal.....then you have to promote equality by efforts to get black numbers to the levels of white....or....to get white numbers to the level of blacks.

If said efforts are fair then I have no problem with it. For example, I have no problem with making sure that a black school has the same resources as a white school. But, giving the black kids extra bonus points on admissions or exams? That's bull****.

Quote:
In other words, You want to go back to the good ole days of "white pride". When you are sitting on top of the world, as whites are, white pride is simply an attempt to stay there....by any means necessary.

I want to go to the good 'ole days of no pride - where no race is excluded from anything. I am appalled at entrenched white privilege and I am equally appalled by willful black exclusion, seperatism and double standards.

Quote:
Fortunately white people are morally and intellectually superior....as demonstrated by their superior behavior to blacks.....so thats not something you will ever have to stay up worrying about...huh?
Oh please...don't put offensive words and ideas in my mouth.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
They do not want to hear the truth.

Those types of people have a vested interest in keeping Blacks on the bottom of the totem pole. Black progress and empowerment is always met with cries of...Affirmative Action...."hand-outs"....special treatment. These cries are nearly always followed by sabotage, treachery, backstabbing and deceit on their part. These are the ill-intentioned little voices who ask "Why Blacks this"...."Why Blacks that" as a means to elevate themselves while attemping to put a boot on our necks.

Quote:
We (Black people) need to continue to educate our children about our history. We need to try and reach those who have lost their way. We must instill those values of community in the young which we lost nearly 50 years ago. And we need to silence/drown out those voices whose sole purpose is to derail the process.
Well, what ever you're doin ain't worken so ya better try somthin else.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
You personally may not have been a benefactor of "White privilege" but is exists...and on a grand scale for many with the advantage of connections or nepotism.

As a Black person whose education was 100% private schools and universities, I can not tell you how many times I personally witneseed White students with the right family connections get away with acts that would have landed someone else behind bars.

In my job, I have been asked several times to create positions within the company for or hire the friends, relatives and acquaintances of the owners and their sons. Often they are less qualified and usually are hired in at a higher salary than others who are doing the same or similar work. And if those other people knew how much less they were making to do the same work (or more), I would have a revolt on my hands.
You are correct, but it pizzes white people of also, believe me, most whites don't have the advantage's you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates