Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ohhh...no...no...no you don't. You made a claim in your introduction about re-instituting segregation. I asked you to defend that assertion and you replied to which I replied back. We don't have closure on that point....and you have just jumped to another point. So again.....demonstrat how Afrocentric schools inherently reistitutes seperation or aquiece to being wrong...or do not say anything else new....at least not directed at me....before we make closure on points of contention. You have to establish credibility...logical...not emotional.
OK. Afrocentric schools - whether or not they allow non-black students - are still schools for black people and therefore are segregated. Whether they "allow" white students or not, their student population is 100% black or very close to it. They only hire black teachers. They promote "black" values. They encourage separatism, instead of encouraging students to see themselves as part of a larger society. It is a form of self-segregation, encouraging a black identity over an American identity.

Schools like this: http://jacksonville.com/interact/blo...centric_school

How would you feel if someone decided to open a "Eurocentric" school? Not mainstream = Eurocentric, but an actual "Robert E. Lee Eurocentric School for White Children." A school that taught "old-school white values." Not happy? Well, that's how everyone else feels about "Afrocentric" schools.

Last edited by northstar22; 05-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
OK. Afrocentric schools - whether or not they allow non-black students - are still schools for black people and therefore are segregated. Whether they "allow" white students or not, their student population is 100% black or very close to it. They only hire black teachers. They promote "black" values. They encourage separatism, instead of encouraging students to see themselves as part of a larger society. It is a form of self-segregation, encouraging a black identity over an American identity.

Schools like this: African American students are thriving in Afro-centric schools | jacksonville.com

How would you feel if someone decided to open a "Eurocentric" school? Not mainstream = Eurocentric, but an actual "Robert E. Lee Eurocentric School for White Children." A school that taught "old-school white values." Not happy? Well, that's how everyone else feels about "Afrocentric" schools.

Historically black colleges have white students and teachers. The valedictorian of Morehouse College, a few years back, was a white guy from Kansas City who grew up around blacks and felt comfortable attending a black college. Afrocentric schools are really K-12 version of HCBU in that what you get at a HBCU are things you don’t get at predominately white University. Again, if a black kid is attending a 100% black school already and their parents take them out of the school because of poor performance and trouble with that school, they are not being re-segregated….they are already segregated. Furthermore, integration is not the goal, improving the education and esteem of the children is the FIRST priority. If kids do better in Afrocentric schools as opposed to integrated or all black Eurocenric schools…..that it where they SHOULD be.

I asked the question of what would a Eurocentric school teach different from a regular school…..and nobody could come up with anything. Afrocentric just includes what MAINSTREAM schools EXCLUDE. My education was totally Eurocentric……regardless of what they called it……they did not highlight people who looked like me unless they were in chains for fighting to take them out of chains. We have a much deeper history than that……maybe you don’t…but my roots are.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,702,583 times
^^ Well, I gotta tell ya somethin. When I was in school they did not mention ONE WORD about my ancestors immigrating to this country in order to escape persecution. I am royally PO'd! I'VE BEEN CHEATED! I'VE BEEN WRONGED!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Historically black colleges have white students and teachers. The valedictorian of Morehouse College, a few years back, was a white guy from Kansas City who grew up around blacks and felt comfortable attending a black college. Afrocentric schools are really K-12 version of HCBU in that what you get at a HBCU are things you don’t get at predominately white University. Again, if a black kid is attending a 100% black school already and their parents take them out of the school because of poor performance and trouble with that school, they are not being re-segregated….they are already segregated. Furthermore, integration is not the goal, improving the education and esteem of the children is the FIRST priority. If kids do better in Afrocentric schools as opposed to integrated or all black Eurocenric schools…..that it where they SHOULD be.

I asked the question of what would a Eurocentric school teach different from a regular school…..and nobody could come up with anything. Afrocentric just includes what MAINSTREAM schools EXCLUDE. My education was totally Eurocentric……regardless of what they called it……they did not highlight people who looked like me unless they were in chains for fighting to take them out of chains. We have a much deeper history than that……maybe you don’t…but my roots are.
I don't like HBCUs either. Ever notice how all standard universities push for "diversity," but I have NEVER seen an HBCU promote "diversity," i.e., bringing in non-black students. Howard and Morehouse would be elite schools if they attracted a more diverse student body, but they insist on staying stuck in the 1940s. When those schools start attracting whites who did not grow up around blacks, that's when I can say that they are not segregated.

Also, Afrocentric schools aren't "historic" (unless you mean segregated schools prior to the Civil Rights Movement), nor are they necessary. Integration IS what is needed to increase the esteem and education of children. Those kids who go to Afrocentric K-12 schools and then HBCUs are in for a MAJOR shock upon graduation when they find out the world isn't all black. Those schools set kids back. In real life, we interact across racial lines, and the schools need to prepare children for that reality.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^^ Well, I gotta tell ya somethin. When I was in school they did not mention ONE WORD about my ancestors immigrating to this country in order to escape persecution. I am royally PO'd! I'VE BEEN CHEATED! I'VE BEEN WRONGED!!!
I know. I'm part Irish - no mention of the Irish potato famine. However, they DID mention my other ancestors struggles with slavery and segregation, as well as the trail of tears and Indian wars.

Forget about the past and move forward! The past only has power over you if YOU allow it to have power.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You think the two are mutually exclusive? If I learn math I can't learn english at the same time? Are you saying these children are not able to comprehend more than one idea? I'm a proud American-Hispanic with a positive image of both whites and hispanics. I don't remember going to any Hispanocentric schools.
Hispanics like EVERY other culture in this country came to this country with your culture intact, so you could not possibly understand why an afrocentric school would be needed. Family values are also culturally relevant. "If you don't know where you came from, you will never know where you are going" -- Smart Dude

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hispanics like EVERY other culture in this country came to this country with your culture intact, so you could not possibly understand why an afrocentric school would be needed. Family values are also culturally relevant. "If you don't know where you came from, you will never know where you are going" -- Smart Dude
Bingo! Thank you. Its like people who were blessed to be raised by their biological parents not being able to empathize with those who are adopted and don't have a clue about who they really are. You are not really qualified to tell them, as someone with the luxury of knowing who they are, that the adopted child does not need what you take for granted. Some are well adjusted, just like some blacks are well adjusted despite our VOID, however, many have problems from it.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I know. I'm part Irish - no mention of the Irish potato famine. However, they DID mention my other ancestors struggles with slavery and segregation, as well as the trail of tears and Indian wars.

Forget about the past and move forward! The past only has power over you if YOU allow it to have power.
Hmmm....I wonder if I am part Nigerian or Part Ghanian or Part Liberian or part Camaroonian or part Benin...or Part Togoian or Part Ivory Cost or part.... That would be something nice to know indeed....I am sure.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
I never did overstand why some whites are threaten by a black person wanting to know their culturally identity. In past (1800s) I could see b/c then they (blacks) would realize that they were once proud kings and queens of Africa and it's sister islands. the lack of knowledge kept slaves passive and accepting of their fate. Now they (some whites) shrug this off b/c to them it is not important. Unfortunately blacks are still paying for the sins of ours (and whites) forefathers by what you see today. Granted there are many blacks that have accepted cultural ignorance and have moved on (?) but those are not ones who come from broken homes or live in proverty either.

My msg to the threatened whites: If your black neighbor wants to explore his/her culture, don't worry they are not going to put on a tam and a leather jacket and join the BPP and try to kill all of the white people, they just want to know something that many of you have taken for granted for years........where did I come from?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm part black, and I know my culture - mainstream American. I guess that makes me "culturally ignorant" in your eyes, but I don't see it that way. I'm proud to be American, and I see myself as American first. I've accepted integration. My family has been in this country for centuries. My most recent foreign-born ancestor is from Germany. My cultural reference point is no different than that of any other American. I'm not African, I don't have any African relatives, I've never been to Africa - heck, the only African I know is white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates