Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have never argued absolutes...only the relative. Hence, my premise is that the reason that blacks have LESS success (and more problems) relative to whites, is due to the history of ole whitey and the CAUSE and EFFECT ramifications there of.
No, it's from a moral breakdown in certain family units!!!! Ole whitey, as you say, doesn't care how you live or what do you as long as you don't bring down our property values or bring the crime rate up. I think the same thing about any neighbor.

It ALL starts in the family and if you've got a welfare mama, which is habitually passed down from generation to generation in some cases, and this mama has multiple babies from multiple baby daddy's and lives on welfare and food stamps it is NOT MY fault. It's HER fault for living that way, for having sex with random people and forgetting the basics of how sex works....sperm enters--finds egg---conception occurs----BABY.....birth control is a simple thing.

How is a mama supposed to teach basic morals and standards to kids she can't afford and kids she can't keep up with?

This is an example.

Again, you are just trying to find a way to deny the bad side of your race. White people have a bad side, too....I don't deny it. I just chose not to live that life. It's THAT SIMPLE!

Get up, get a job somewhere/anywhere, work, get a loan/scholarship/grant and go to college......that can ALWAYS be done.....and MAKE SOMETHING OF YOURSELF.

What are you so afraid of?????????

ps...just to clarify, I DON'T think all people on welfare are bad people. I know someone will throw that in my face. I'm just saying it is supposed to be a temporary help/a hand UP! NOT A LIFESTYLE!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM

219 posts, read 527,467 times
The idea of race certainly isn't dead (and I know most people here would not deny this). I was born in Colombia, but adopted by white parents. I grew up in a very white neighborhood and didn't know I wasn't white until I turned 10 or so. I was devastated when I found out I was Hispanic. All I knew back then was that Hispanic people weren't part of my community or family...which made it very "us(my community) vs them(Hispanics)" in my mind. I made an effort to distance myself from all things Hispanic until I got to college.

Once the idea of race enters your mind and you identify with or recognize yourself as white or non-white (or are stuck on the fence) it can really eat away at you. Growing up non-white (or gay, overweight, short, disabled, etc) all race/weight/height/etc comments (and there will usually be many over the years), no matter how they are intended, can be quite damaging to your self esteem. Everyone goes through some of that, some much more than others.

I guess for me at the end of the day it comes down to my own choices. I'm old enough to laugh off the "go back to Mexico, you dirty ****" comments--I've heard them enough times. I'm experienced enough to recognize good people and to surround myself with them--or at least try to--and I hope I'm smart enough to guide myself through all the BS and be successful one day.

I'm not proud to be Hispanic, but I don't hate it either. Personal accomplishments are far more important to me, but I do recognize that most of them would have been impossible if it weren't for my adoptive parents.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
You are right. It's disgusting and truly sickening when whites say that blacks should just get over or forget slavery and other parts of Americas racist history.
Nobody said forget, and it doesn't take a genius to see that, but it does take someone that's not so narrow minded.

EVERYONE is tired of blacks like IS using the PAST as an excuse for current and future failures. Using the past to complain about things, when they have black only schools, magazines, scholarships, and blatantly so.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
You are right. It's disgusting and truly sickening when whites say that blacks should just get over or forget slavery and other parts of Americas racist history.
the way we look at it, and the way we teach out children, there is nothing to get over or forget, slavery was before we were born. We can't remember slavery, since we were not a part of it. So, if we can't remember it, there is nothing to forget.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
the way we look at it, and the way we teach out children, there is nothing to get over or forget, slavery was before we were born. We can't remember slavery, since we were not a part of it. So, if we can't remember it, there is nothing to forget.
Now you're just using common sense to confuse those not equipped.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
[quote=flyingwriter;14265948]By their names. "Black people" aren't a monolithic unit, they are comprised of individuals. Saying "those black people do _______" is implying that "those black people"
Quote:
are all the same, and that's not the case
I've said that all along. Blacks who are living the thug lifestyle are the ones that scare the hell out of most white people. And BTW, this applies to white folks also!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is the classic example of a White person who refuses to acknowledge and "deal with" the Black intellectual on equal footing.

Black intelligence is always met with bigoted ignorance. As an educated Black person I have encountered many Whites who are not comfortable when they are faced with intelligent Black people. They typically attempt to "undermine" the Black person with racist humor and stereotypical racial mockery.

I notice that it is rare for other Whites to "scold" White posters for blatantly racist remarks. This thread has done nothing but comfirm the utter contempt that all too many Whites have against Black Americans. We, as Black Americans, need to recognize that this is their "norm" that we must fight to rise above. The only way to deal with their ignorance is to be 10 times better at everything we aspire to be. We are better than this type of buffoonery from them.
No, THIS thread of yours, is what shows the pure ignorance of blacks, in America. You are AMERICANS, NOT black Americans. We are all Americans, aside from the illegals, but that's neither here nor there. When YOU people realize that you ARE NOT the victims of slavery, or oppression, and lift up your skirts, grab your balls, and get down to work and quit playing the race card, you will be able to see the entire playing field for how level (possibly slanted your direction) it is. Get a clue, get a REAL education, instead of relying on what you've heard from everyone else who's so damned sad and whining about something that needs to be moved on from.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
No, THIS thread of yours, is what shows the pure ignorance of blacks, in America. You are AMERICANS, NOT black Americans. We are all Americans, aside from the illegals, but that's neither here nor there. When YOU people realize that you ARE NOT the victims of slavery, or oppression, and lift up your skirts, grab your balls, and get down to work and quit playing the race card, you will be able to see the entire playing field for how level (possibly slanted your direction) it is. Get a clue, get a REAL education, instead of relying on what you've heard from everyone else who's so damned sad and whining about something that needs to be moved on from.
Be careful calling them "you people", I got yelled at for that!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Be careful calling them "you people", I got yelled at for that!
That's the point. It's not racist, has no racist connotation, except by those that need something to be offended about. If words offend you, then you have deeper problems

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
That's the point. It's not racist, has no racist connotation, except by those that need something to be offended about. If words offend you, then you have deeper problems
This is a big problem for white people when talking to black people, they are so damned thin skinned we feel like we are walking on egg shells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.