Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is an example of modern segregation patterns. This is a school in suburban Minneapolis. Look at what is happening to the white population as the black population and other minorities increase. Its clear that blacks are INTEGRATING and CHOOSING to go to these schools with whites.....AND THEN WHITES CHOOSE TO LEAVE. This is the case in nearly ALL schools where blacks starte to integrate in large numbers. This idea that blacks are segregating themselves and total garbage. Blacks move in and whites move out and that it how different cultures incubate. There is no self segregation for blacks as much it is for whites.

Robbinsdale Cooper Senior High School, New Hope Minnesota / MN School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Two things about Cooper. One - whether deserved or not, it has a reputation as a poor school. Armstrong, which is in the same district, is flourishing. Secondly, blacks have moved in "in large numbers." If any demographic of people (whites, Hispanics, Asians, blacks, whatever) move "in large numbers" to an area, it will change the character of the location and many of the original residents will leave. This happened in South Central L.A., which was historically black, when Mexicans moved in. When the Mexicans moved in "large numbers," blacks fled. If it was just a few blacks moving in, whites probably would not leave. Not to sound racist, but it seems like blacks (as well as Hispanics) like to move into places en masse. Why not spread out more?

Quote:
here is a school in Southfield Michigan....a middle class suburb that borders Detroit. Southfield was a majority white city 30 years ago with majority white schools. Look at one of its two major high schools today.

Southfield High School, Southfield Michigan / MI School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

There is ALL SORTS OF EVIDENCE that racial segregation is still primarily the result of whites not wanting to integrate with blacks.

Whatever city you are in......you will find the same thing. There seems to be a 20% threshold. As soon as an area or schools becomes more than 20% black....the rate of whites leaving the area or schools increases sharply.
I will admit that Michigan has had a problem with white flight, especially the Detroit area. However, like I said earlier, it's not just about blacks, but any demographic of people moving in in large numbers. The same thing happened when Polish people came to Hamtramck almost a century ago.

Also, Kalamazoo is exactly 20% black, and whites have not fled. Kalamazoo Public Schools are majority black, but there are still a fair number of whites and Hispanics.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Two things about Cooper. One - whether deserved or not, it has a reputation as a poor school. Armstrong, which is in the same district, is flourishing. Secondly, blacks have moved in "in large numbers." If any demographic of people (whites, Hispanics, Asians, blacks, whatever) move "in large numbers" to an area, it will change the character of the location and many of the original residents will leave. This happened in South Central L.A., which was historically black, when Mexicans moved in. When the Mexicans moved in "large numbers," blacks fled. If it was just a few blacks moving in, whites probably would not leave. Not to sound racist, but it seems like blacks (as well as Hispanics) like to move into places en masse. Why not spread out more?

I will admit that Michigan has had a problem with white flight, especially the Detroit area. However, like I said earlier, it's not just about blacks, but any demographic of people moving in in large numbers. The same thing happened when Polish people came to Hamtramck almost a century ago.

Also, Kalamazoo is exactly 20% black, and whites have not fled. Kalamazoo Public Schools are majority black, but there are still a fair number of whites and Hispanics.
Kalamazoo has the "Kalamazoo Promise". If you live in the city of Kalamazoo and send your kids to public schools, you get free college tuition at any Michigan University. So Kalamazoo is not a good example.

Blacks don't usually move out of an area..... In LA its a different story because Hispanic gangs targeted black to drive them out of certain communities or to keep them from others. That is well documented in Southern California. Blacks are usually driven out of an area either by price gentrification or intimidation.

If the rents are descent....black folks are going to be there...unless somebody tries to drive us out. However, if you look at the pattern blacks integrate with whites and whites move away. If you are a poor black person...where are you going to move to in Southern California that is not white or hispanic? As far as the polish in Hamtramk they were from a different nation and people don't do not move aways from the polish today. That is because you cannot look and tell someone is polish. However, when they were moving away from the Polish, the IRish, the Italian....they were moving away from blacks.....the difference is that people are still moving away from blacks to this day....with the exception of Hispanics. However, even in most latin speaking nation they have a culture of discrimination against blacks.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-21-2010 at 06:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Would someone please explain the "black experience" to me?
It can not be "explained". It can only be understood by being "lived".

However, White people know enough about the "Black experience" in America to realize that they wouldn't trade places with a Black person even of Oprah's level of success. White people in America have an innate understanding of the benefits of White privilege which is (to them) more valuable than money in the bank. Someone like Oprah knows all too well that it doesn't matter that she is worth a billion dollars plus; she can be and has been (the Rodeo Drive and the Hermes incidents) discriminated against because she is of African ancestry.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

However, White people know enough about the "Black experience" in America to realize that they wouldn't trade places with a Black person even of Oprah's level of success. White people in America have an innate understanding of the benefits of White privilege which is (to them) more valuable than money in the bank. Some one like Oprah knows all too well that it doesn't matter that she is worth a billion dollars plus; she can be and has been (the Rodeo Drive and the Hermes incidents) discriminated against because she is of African ancestry.

YouTube - Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-21-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,702,583 times
Quote:

However, White people know enough about the "Black experience" in America to realize that they wouldn't trade places with a Black person even of Oprah's level of success. White people in America have an innate understanding of the benefits of White privilege which is (to them) more valuable than money in the bank. Someone like Oprah knows all too well that it doesn't matter that she is worth a billion dollars plus; she can be and has been (the Rodeo Drive and the Hermes incidents) discriminated against because she is of African ancestry.
Oh for crying out loud!

Are you a mind reader? How in sam hill do you think you can speak for every white American? What is wrong with you?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55zE_qJd2g&feature=related

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Can someone explain to me why whites' are more responsible than blacks', not as lazy as blacks and make less excuses than blacks... Whats the ORIGIN the ROOT of this?
Genetics I guess.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
What Black Americans need to realize is that White Americans have no interest in the "improvement" of our collective condition or in treat us as their "equals" - why would they when they have a vested interest in maintaining a permanent underclass. Blacks who emigrate to America from other countries understand this and take the opportunities that are available in America to achieve professionally and financially.

Whether it takes the form of Afrocentric schools, being homeschooled or just having parents take the time to reinforce African values to their children - the lesson needs to be learned that we are the only ones who can grasp our piece of the pie in America.

We need to stop "asking" for White folks "permission" and simply go get what we want. When I was a child, I remember asking my grandfather why he had decided to start his first business - his answer was that (at the time) they only hired White people (men) to do the jobs that he felt were appropriate for his level of education and he had no desire to be a Pullman porter or a delivery boy. He had to create his own "job" by starting his own company.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times
That may have been true 60 years ago, but it certainly isn't today. 99.9% of white people today are NOT racist and have NO desire to keep an "underclass." The "white man" is not out to get you. Being non-white has never hindered me in my education or my career, and I have always lived in predominately white areas.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:57 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,843 times
Quote:
What Black Americans need to realize is that White Americans have no interest in the "improvement" of our collective condition or in treat us as their "equals" - why would they when they have a vested interest in maintaining a permanent underclass. Blacks who emigrate to America from other countries understand this and take the opportunities that are available in America to achieve professionally and financially.

Whether it takes the form of Afrocentric schools, being homeschooled or just having parents take the time to reinforce African values to their children - the lesson needs to be learned that we are the only ones who can grasp our piece of the pie in America.

We need to stop "asking" for White folks "permission" and simply go get what we want. When I was a child, I remember asking my grandfather why he had decided to start his first business - his answer was that (at the time) they only hired White people (men) to do the jobs that he felt were appropriate for his level of education and he had no desire to be a Pullman porter or a delivery boy. He had to create his own "job" by starting his own company.
In reality, what possibly can the average white guy do to improve the collective condition of the underclass black person when we are to busy taking care of our own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates