Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times

Advertisements

It amazes me when I hear supposedly intelligent people act as if opportunity is infinite. I usually only hear this implied assertion when people are assuming black laziness. The only factor impacting opportunity is black’s lack of a work ethic. That is why we need white folks from Omaha to tell us to get a job and go to school. If only someone would have shared this knowledge with us before….lol.

It’s interesting, given the infinity of opportunity, how we have 17% (governments U6 metric that includes discouraged workers an people working part time because they cannot find full time) unemployment. Given that opportunity exist for anyone who is not lazy, the economic crisis that manifested 2 years ago was created by a massive increase in people deciding that they would rather just lazy around all day rather than go to work. Hence, the official definition of recession is not really two consecutive quarters of negative GDP, but rather, two consecutive quarters of people being too lazy to take advantage of this infinite opportunity that blacks are told about.

You know the unemployment rate for Blacks in the city of Detroit is about 50%. The city of Detroit has had a massive loss of jobs and a shifting of jobs from the city to the suburbs, over the last 30 years. There is no regional transportation system in Detroit (SEMTA don't cut it!) that can efficiently get people from the city to the suburbs where most of the jobs went to. Yet, despite the decline of the auto industry, the shifting of jobs to the suburb, the lack of region transportation……people still see that statistic as primarily the result of laziness and irresponsibility and people wanting something for nothing.

When black unemployment is high it’s called laziness. When white unemployment is high it’s due to economic cycles....lol

Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM

191 posts, read 458,232 times
This whole debate makes me sad. Yes, it is very true that the media portrays white features as being preferable (small nose, lighter skin...). However, the media also creates wonderful reality shows where it tells us that all women are alcoholic skanks who want to fight over men and attractive men should get in bar fights and screw as many women as possible. So, I am not sure why we even give a crap about what the media is telling us.

I don't give a flying flip about white pride or black pride or hispanic pride, because this is pride in how someone looks, which is inherently pride in something that the person has no control over and did not achieve on their own. I care about kids having pride in their ability to achieve goals. I think kids should have pride in their father's and mother's and what they have accomplished.

I do think that the average education system does not necessarily teach history or literature from a well rounded perspective (although this really depends on the teacher....this year I had my kids read literature from both men and women and from many different races).

But, back to why I am sad. I am sad because the reason many of my African-American girls have low self-esteem is because their dad's took a hike when they were born, not because they are black. Many of my hispanic girls are pregnant at 14 because their mother's have told them will never go to college and they need to secure an older man (I am talking like 30 here!), not because they are hispanic. My white girls have low self-esteem and practically prostitute themselves because their mother's are obsessed with their own looks and are having a second childhood through their teenagers, not because they are white.

We can keep screaming and pointing fingers, or we can put our big boy and girl panties on and say, "Hey, maybe instead of griping I should go home and tell my kids that they can accomplish anything. Maybe I should sacrifice in order for them to see success. And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't shove my own personal baggage down their throats because it will only cripple them as it has crippled me."

Sure white people still make more money. But so do white men over white women. And there still hasn't been a woman in the White House. So what. That hasn't stopped me from doing what I want because I have worked my butt off to achieve my goals. I knew I would achieve them because, even though some outside sources told me different, my parents (who I trusted!) told me I could.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
This whole debate makes me sad. Yes, it is very true that the media portrays white features as being preferable (small nose, lighter skin...). However, the media also creates wonderful reality shows where it tells us that all women are alcoholic skanks who want to fight over men and attractive men should get in bar fights and screw as many women as possible. So, I am not sure why we even give a crap about what the media is telling us.

I don't give a flying flip about white pride or black pride or hispanic pride, because this is pride in how someone looks, which is inherently pride in something that the person has no control over and did not achieve on their own. I care about kids having pride in their ability to achieve goals. I think kids should have pride in their father's and mother's and what they have accomplished.

I do think that the average education system does not necessarily teach history or literature from a well rounded perspective (although this really depends on the teacher....this year I had my kids read literature from both men and women and from many different races).

But, back to why I am sad. I am sad because the reason many of my African-American girls have low self-esteem is because their dad's took a hike when they were born, not because they are black. Many of my hispanic girls are pregnant at 14 because their mother's have told them will never go to college and they need to secure an older man (I am talking like 30 here!), not because they are hispanic. My white girls have low self-esteem and practically prostitute themselves because their mother's are obsessed with their own looks and are having a second childhood through their teenagers, not because they are white.

We can keep screaming and pointing fingers, or we can put our big boy and girl panties on and say, "Hey, maybe instead of griping I should go home and tell my kids that they can accomplish anything. Maybe I should sacrifice in order for them to see success. And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't shove my own personal baggage down their throats because it will only cripple them as it has crippled me."

Sure white people still make more money. But so do white men over white women. And there still hasn't been a woman in the White House. So what. That hasn't stopped me from doing what I want because I have worked my butt off to achieve my goals. I knew I would achieve them because, even though some outside sources told me different, my parents (who I trusted!) told me I could.
Is there anything in particular that you are sad for little white girl over? I guess not since you did not mention it. White kids have GREAT parents.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Quote:

Your stable of girls is really messed up. Maybe you need to get those girls off the street. They have got to be hurting business.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:

One more thing. If you REALLY are concerned about these children and believe that their REAL problem is their parents, then you would want to find out the REASON that their parents behave a certain way so that the behavior can be fixed and little black and hispanic girls in the future will not have to have this problem and they could grow up with healthy esteem like little white girls (the baseline of perfection).

Is the reason biological, environmental, cultural (did it come from Africa or Latin American cultures)...or what. Maybe if you took enough time to reason an explanation as to why blacks don't take care of their kids and Hispanics discourage their kids society can make an effort to fix the problem. We cannot just keep treating the sysmptoms....its time for a cure.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are 100% correct. If I have a history of not paying my bills, I will have bad credit. Entities are judged by their past. Thats how the world works today. Hence, whites can get little credit with me on the matter race. Their FICO mid score is about 400. They have had a 300 year history AND TRADITION of being anti-black. They have done it so long that its a cultural paradigm. Its subliminal. They don't even have to think about it because its culturally engrained. That is why they always end up in opposition to what blacks do......if its not something they TOLD us to do.The negatively impact blacks in effect, if not intent.

I tell them that I see my self as an African....and they try to whip me to make me see myself as an American...lol. Its just like Kunta Kinta defining himself and the "Master" whipping him to he would accept his new slave name of Toby. The audacity of some of these people is absurd. I don't care how other black people or white people choose to define themselves or choose to call me.....but to try to "whip" me into submission to a defintion THEY want me to assume just shows you their arrogance and percieved "Authority" as if we are "Children" to be scolded and
Quote:
told what we should think.
Its laughable.
Evidently, what you've been thinken ain't a worken.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 AM

15,652 posts, read 10,417,959 times
We can't force others to respect us. Threats or laws don't build respect from others. They cause resentment. Respect only comes from acting respectable.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-23-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
90% of this makes absolutely no sense at all.

The other 10% is you confessing that poverty and failure is a choice.

You cannot understand a position that you will (can) never experience first hand that does not affect you.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One more thing. If you REALLY are concerned about these children and believe that their REAL problem is their parents, then you would want to find out the REASON that their parents behave a certain way so that the behavior can be fixed and little black and hispanic girls in the future will not have to have this problem and they could grow up with healthy esteem like little white girls (the baseline of perfection).

THE BASELINE OF PERFECTION??? WTF are you trying to say? Are you saying that all "other" children should want to be like white girls? Apparently you have lost your mind!

The poster who obviously has taken time to notice certain things from working with various children (unlike yourself) and made a statement. Oh FYI did it occur to you that b/c of the images of skinny white women in the media might have a profound effect on young females in general? Does that sound like the baseline of perfection?

Is the reason biological, environmental, cultural (did it come from Africa or Latin American cultures)...or what. Maybe if you took enough time to reason an explanation as to why blacks don't take care of their kids and Hispanics discourage their kids society can make an effort to fix the problem. We cannot just keep treating the sysmptoms....its time for a cure.
What makes you think that just the children of color are the root of the societal ills? Why should the poster provide a solution to an observation that she just happened to run across? Since you want to refer to children of color as some sort of disease that needs a "cure" riddle me this brainboy; if the white kids are so perfect since the wealthy ones have overwhelmingly greater odds of becoming influencial adults why have'nt they made the changes that you feel the poster should make?

There are many factors why our children behave the way that that do; negative parental influences, media, peer pressure, neglect, abuse ect. None of these factors are exclusive to one group of people over another, so before you start waving " My flag is bigger than yours" please take that into consideration.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You cannot understand a position that you will (can) never experience first hand that does not affect you.
Don't you think it's possible to learn from others successful experience or is it a matter of pride?

Last edited by aveojohn; 05-23-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates