Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM

191 posts, read 457,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is there anything in particular that you are sad for little white girl over? I guess not since you did not mention it. White kids have GREAT parents.
I am new to this forum, so I am not familiar with you. However, I have learned one thing about you today, and that is that you do not read posts before you decide to scream about what they are saying.

If you will notice, the third example of what I am sad over applies to many of the white girls that I teach. Perhaps you should try reading what people write before you form an opinion.

Also, as far as the REASON for parents behaving this way.... I don't care. I have sympathy, absolutely. I think that many people were handed a very difficult life. I think that many people are born into unfair situations and unfair societies. However, I also think that a black girl born here is a heck of lot better off than any female born in Afghanistan. Does that diminish the struggles of a black girl here? No, and that is the point. We can always sit around and complain and moan about how much worse this person has it than some other person. What does that accomplish? So, I don't care about why some parent feels badly about themselves. I also know of father's who beat their kids because they were beaten. Does that excuse this behavior? Certainly not. So, yes, I believe that many of the parent's I deal with have struggled in ways that I can't imagine. However, that is no excuse spoon feed your own crippling fears and biases down the throat of your own children.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM

191 posts, read 457,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Your stable of girls is really messed up. Maybe you need to get those girls off the street. They have got to be hurting business.
I hope you are insinuating what I am thinking....

Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
IS, I look at it this way, Government programs for blacks/minoritys have been in place for nearly 50 yrs, yet there is little imrovement since then. I believe that some are just taking a free ride and have no interest in bettering themselves. They squeeze out a mere existence from the freebies and seem to be happy with that. If they choose not to take atvanage of these programs for education then I fear they will live in poverty for generations. We shall see in another 20, 30 or 50 yrs.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Nobody said forget, and it doesn't take a genius to see that, but it does take someone that's not so narrow minded.

EVERYONE is tired of blacks like IS using the PAST as an excuse for current and future failures. Using the past to complain about things, when they have black only schools, magazines, scholarships, and blatantly so.
Funny that you should mention that. The creation of black magazines, colleges, schools ect came about BECAUSE of racism and the lack of opportunity to succeed in the white world and not the other way around. As a blackman I know that there are opportunities out there and not b/c I'm black but b/c I have a strong desire to succeed due to my upbringing.
Yes I do realize what happened 200 years ago and I know the ramifications of what happened after it. Blacks as a whole have a variety of views regarding what happened and what to do about today. There some who want to STILL blame whites for everything both past and present and want things handed to them, there are others who are ignorant of the past and don't care and are usually the ones that just live day by day in their present situation (good or bad) and there are some who are aware of the past and are determined not to use it as an excuse not succeed in the future.

There are others that are determined to make whites understand the history of the black experience in this country and that equates to two responses from whites; resentment ("I was not there so why should I care"?) or interest and an attempt to understand ("I did not know that but there is nothing that I can do about it"). Personally, if you ask me I will tell my OWN experiences but I cannot explain what a blackman in Alabama is going through or a blackwoman in Oregon has to put up with either. Nor do I know what you as white, latino or asian know about American (not just black) history, but if I see something that might be taken in the wrong context hopefully I can bring overstanding to all

Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
IS, I look at it this way, Government programs for blacks/minoritys have been in place for nearly 50 yrs, yet there is little imrovement since then. I believe that some are just taking a free ride and have no interest in bettering themselves. They squeeze out a mere existence from the freebies and seem to be happy with that. If they choose not to take atvanage of these programs for education then I fear they will live in poverty for generations. We shall see in another 20, 30 or 50 yrs.
It has been very well documented that White women are the largest benefactors of Affirmative Action programs. Somehow, people like you always seem to exclude them from the equation.

Could it be that someone in your position hates to admit that their household benefits from a White wife, mother, sister or daughter who has been the recipient/beneficiary of the same "programs" which Blacks/minorities are vilified for having access to?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It has been very well documented that White women are the largest benefactors of Affirmative Action programs. Somehow, people like you always seem to exclude them from the equation.

Could it be that someone in your position hates to admit that their household benefits from a White wife, mother, sister or daughter who has been the recipient/beneficiary of the same "programs" which Blacks/minorities are vilified for having access to?
check please!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:

I didn't exclude anyone, the conversation was about blacks/minorities, not white woman and btw I personally have only seen blacks hired as a result of affirmative action(where I worked for 30 yrs).

Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:

He is just ignorant. 50 years ago was 1960 based upon "black math". In 1960 the black rate of poverty was over 50%. In 2000, the black poverty rate, for the first time ever, dropped below 25%. In that 50 years you had civil rights legislation passed, affirmative action, black consciousness (nationalism, pride, unity) correlated with the decline of black poverty. If these things hurt black people.....we would have never gone from nearly 60% poverty 50 years ago to just under 25% poverty in 2000. Unfortunately, black progress seems to stagnate or decline when the political party averse to these type of programs and polices are in charge and when we lose consciousness....and not the reverse.

evejohn is a joke.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Might have something to do with the Irish being white themselves.
Yeah ... Everyone knows that all white folks are the same.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I didn't exclude anyone, the conversation was about blacks/minorities, not white woman and btw I personally have only seen blacks hired as a result of affirmative action(where I worked for 30 yrs).
No, this is actually a conversation about why Blacks need Afrocentric schools or Afrocentric educational focus. To which the simple answer is: we shouldn't (or can't) trust the current educational system to effectively prepare our Black children for the world in which they will routinely be considered "inferior" simply based on the color of their skin despite their achievements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.