Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Claims that GM Foods will end world hunger are propagated by those who would convert the worlds food supplies to their own patented varieties in order to control it.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:23 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
to be fair you should also travel around the world documenting how many millions of people are dying from malnutrition because some elitist units have spread fear about GM crops so their countries won't plant them.
Wow, I had not heard of that.

Could you post one nation where this is happening?

One nation where malnutrition is causing death because GMO is not allowed? Increased crop production and less pesticide is at fault for deaths?

I would love to hear about such a nation.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM

same here....My Firsthand Experience: How GMOs Cause Farmer Suicide

Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Claims that GM Foods will end world hunger are propagated by those who would convert the worlds food supplies to their own patented varieties in order to control it.
I can see it though. There is a hope that one day, there might be in increase in per-acre production through GM. That is valid.

It is a hope that many people hang their hat on.

It is like the old arguments about nuclear warfare.
#1- If we continue to build more and more warheads, then one day we will have the ability to destroy all life on earth. [which sounds like a plausible statement, un-provable, but plausible]
Then after it gets repeated long enough it evolves into:
#2- Since nuclear warfare exists, we can destroy all life on earth, therefore we must first destroy all nuclear weapons. Which presupposes that we have already manufactured enough warheads to accomplish #1. [a clear fallacy].

Simply because there is a hope that one day GM may increase production, does not equal that it already has increased production.

Merely planting more acres does not equal higher production per-acre.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
And claims that GMO crops are going to destroy the world are propagated by the Organic Industry that is waging a propaganda war, in order to line their own pockets with hundreds of billions of dollars.

Lies, lies, and more lies.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I can see it though. There is a hope that one day, there might be in increase in per-acre production through GM. That is valid.

It is a hope that many people hang their hat on.

It is like the old arguments about nuclear warfare.
#1- If we continue to build more and more warheads, then one day we will have the ability to destroy all life on earth. [which sounds like a plausible statement, un-provable, but plausible]
Then after it gets repeated long enough it evolves into:
#2- Since nuclear warfare exists, we can destroy all life on earth, therefore we must first destroy all nuclear weapons. Which presupposes that we have already manufactured enough warheads to accomplish #1. [a clear fallacy].

Simply because there is a hope that one day GM may increase production, does not equal that it already has increased production.

Merely planting more acres does not equal higher production per-acre.
The comparison to nuclear arms is completely irrelevant.

The FACT is that GMO crops have ALREADY increased production, sustainability and profits, and have DECREASED pesticide dependency. That's a fact, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The comparison to nuclear arms is completely irrelevant.

The FACT is that GMO crops have ALREADY increased production, sustainability and profits, and have DECREASED pesticide dependency. That's a fact, whether you'd like to admit it or not.
Hopefully we will all live to see the day when your 'fact's become a shared reality [and not just a corporate-sponsored fantasy].

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
And claims that GMO crops are going to destroy the world are propagated by the Organic Industry that is waging a propaganda war, in order to line their own pockets with hundreds of billions of dollars.

Lies, lies, and more lies.
Hey, when I buy organic foods, I do so willingly, and I know what I'm buying.....not so with GM foods, the fact that they have to force it on unwilling people tells you somethings not right.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Hey, when I buy organic foods, I do so willingly, and I know what I'm buying.....not so with GM foods, the fact that they have to force it on unwilling people tells you somethings not right.
No, actually, you DON'T know what you're buying. There's a very high degree of likelihood that you're buying Copper Sulfate, Rotenone, and a whole host of other "natural" chemicals used in the Organic Industry.
You just don't know it.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
No, actually, you DON'T know what you're buying. There's a very high degree of likelihood that you're buying Copper Sulfate, Rotenone, and a whole host of other "natural" chemicals used in the Organic Industry.
You just don't know it.
In the realm of all things possible, it is possible to find: Copper Sulfate or Rotenone in organic food. The likelihood of it being there is more akin to winning the lottery though.

If you have concerns then go and tour the farm. Every organic food producer I know welcomes farm tours.

Most states require all farmers using bad pesticides to register, to get certified in the use of pesticides, and notify them each time such pesticides are used. In this state, a farmer is required to notify each adjacent land-owner on the day of spraying. State government are rarely good at keeping secrets, this is all open to the public for anyone to ask and find out what pesticdes are used in each county, and by each farmer.

If anyone is concerned about the use of pesticides, it is easy to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living