Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

^^^ Now there's common sense

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,178 times
The California Right to Know (Yes on 37) Campaign just posted their first TV ad - it's very effective!

Yes on Prop 37 - California Right To Know Truth Ad - YouTube

Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
The California Right to Know (Yes on 37) Campaign just posted their first TV ad - it's very effective!

Yes on Prop 37 - California Right To Know Truth Ad - YouTube
Proposition 37 - brought to you by a skanky trial lawyer. But really folks, it's all about the people. Seriously! It's all about public safety, not money!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
A chemical being allowed is not the same as a chemical being required.

Quote:
... Be sure to wash your Organic Broccoli VERY well, as it likely has known cancer-causing chemicals all over it!
This is a lie.

I am an organic producer.

My 'pesticides' are:
vinegar,
soap,
Eucalyptus oil,
Lemongrass oil,
Citronella oil,
Peppermint oil,
and Chrysanthemum oil.

None of these are toxic to humans. They are only applied directly onto infestations.

There is nothing going into my livestock, that can not go into me. [except that I can not digest tree bark as well as they can]

There is nothing going onto my crops that can not go onto me. [though I am not about to drink manure to prove a point].

You, sir are being very insulting and you are spreading lies.

I would ask that you stop your insults and your lies.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,178 times
Default Here are the good guys

Here are the top 10 donors to the Yes on 37 Campaign - companies that aren't afraid of letting you know what is/isn't in their products!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A chemical being allowed is not the same as a chemical being required.

I'm sorry if I don't follow the mantra of the Organic Industry, but I'm not a mindless drone that latches on to the latest fad and calls it gospel.

Here is a FACT: Organic labeling only requires that NATURAL CHEMICALS be used, rather than SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS.

So tell me... Is Copper Sulfate a known cancer-causing chemical, or not? Is Rotenone a known cancer-causing chemical, or not?

The answer to both those questions is, YES. Which leads to the next question: Why do they qualify as pesticides for Organic Farming?

Perhaps YOU don't use them, but other "organic farmers" do use them.

Shame on a money-pursuing industry that lies to the American consumer!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Here are the top 10 donors to the Yes on 37 Campaign - companies that stand to make tens of millions of dollars if Prop 37 is passed!
I corrected it for you.

By the way, I use Dr Bronners stuff all the time. But don't kid yourself - neither you nor I know what's in it, and a vague label is NOT informing us of anything.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 AM

350 posts, read 848,091 times
Quote:

As someone who grew up working on a traditional farm and has many friends and family that have traditional family farms... I hope you can ask your side to do the same. For instance, I hope you have a similar reaction to the folks that come on here and post articles claiming the FDA is going to start allowing spraying of "agent orange ingredients", when in fact 2-4-d has already been used for the better part of a century already and is allowed even in the most regulated European countries.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
As someone who grew up working on a traditional farm and has many friends and family that have traditional family farms...
Same here.

Quote:
... I hope you can ask your side to do the same. For instance, I hope you have a similar reaction to the folks that come on here and post articles claiming the FDA is going to start allowing spraying of "agent orange ingredients", when in fact 2-4-d has already been used for the better part of a century already and is allowed even in the most regulated European countries.
There are wild claims made daily by many people.

I saw a claim made by someone on Facebook [about "agent orange ingredients", / 2-4-d] though I did not actually read it or look at what the chemical was. I assumed it was spin.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Same here.

There are wild claims made daily by many people.

I saw a claim made by someone on Facebook [about "agent orange ingredients", / 2-4-d] though I did not actually read it or look at what the chemical was. I assumed it was spin.
Wild claims indeed.

It wasn't too long ago that we were reading about thousands of farmers in India committing suicide, because Monsanto had ruined their lives. And claims of hormone-sated milk & beef are a dime-a-dozen. Shoot, I have a niece (yes, she has lived in the city her entire life) that was lecturing me recently about how Factory Farm Dairy Cows aren't even really cows anymore...

On the other hand, a couple weeks ago I was talking to a friend of mine who is an organic farmer. He rotates his farm in thirds - corn, beans & small grain. This year's small grain was barley, but because of the drought it was a bust. He's not radical, he's not crazy, and he hasn't turned into some weird preacher. He fertilizes with chicken manure, but laughs because it's not "organic" manure. Basically, he farms the way my grandfather used to far, but with better hybrid technology. He cultivates all his crops multiple times, and "walks the beans" several times. He has chosen to be an organic farmer because it is very profitable, and also because he just feels right about it.

People who know agriculture know the difference between fact and fantasy. Unfortunately, too many totally ignorant city people want to believe weird hype, rather than believing that the truth might not be very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living