Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Don't be ridiculous. American land ownership didn't and doesn't allow for communal property, you graze on the land you owned/rented. You own prime land, you graze prime land, and in many areas there is nothing but prime land around.

You capacity for abstract thinking is somewhat diminished, I should not have used allegorical language. These inconsistency "accusations" are ridiculous to the bone, you can't be serious, can you? It's understood by default that lots of things can grow in theory IF humans didn't create a man made corn and soybean deserts.
You keep spinning, buddy...

Here's the deal. You don't know what you're talking about. Seriously, you don't. In the past couple hours, you have had two agriculture guys absolutely obliterate everything you have claimed.

Now I realize that you've driven across the country at least once, and have read lots of books, and read lots of blogs by the "organic industry," but you're absolutely out of your league here. You're a city kid who is lecturing farmers about farming. Do you realize how absurd that is?

If you want to continue this silly game, it's okay by me. Later tonight - when my wife & I are done painting the nursery in preparation for the birth of our grandchild - I'll be back on to correct all your errors. It will give me something to do as I sit out on the back patio, sipping some wine and looking out over our 3 huge gardens (that apparently cannot exist out here in the Midwest).

Or you can just call it a day. Your choice.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You've got quite an imagination. Too bad your imagination is so off-based.

But I'll play along for a moment... Let's take the Good Old Days - you know, back to the Golden Age of American Agriculture. Let's go back to the 1930s. Tell me about all the wonderful, beautiful things you see.
If you missed the point, I repeat it again - "Live and let AT LEAST SOMETHING to survive". I don't claim that there was golden age of agriculture (destructive by definition), I'm aware that today and in the past land is/was mined for profit. All I say that in the past wannabe land miners were restricted by available technology and chemicals, this opened small surviving opportunity for lots of plants and creatures, this, in its turn created rural charm, unintended consequence but nevertherless a very pleasant one. A typical cornhole town of today leaves no pleasant memories, sterile lawns locked in between sterile fields, empty streets devoid of humans.

I'm sure you hint at dust bowl, yet, I've been to KS etc. and given similar weather circumstances there is little doubt it would happen again. Leaving scraggy wheat residue on the field is as affective as spitting to extinguish fire. Areas that dry should not be tilled. If anybody to be thanked for no Dust Bowl II, it's weather, first and foremost.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You keep spinning, buddy...

Here's the deal. You don't know what you're talking about. Seriously, you don't. In the past couple hours, you have had two agriculture guys absolutely obliterate everything you have claimed.

Now I realize that you've driven across the country at least once, and have read lots of books, and read lots of blogs by the "organic industry," but you're absolutely out of your league here. You're a city kid who is lecturing farmers about farming. Do you realize how absurd that is?

If you want to continue this silly game, it's okay by me. Later tonight - when my wife & I are done painting the nursery in preparation for the birth of our grandchild - I'll be back on to correct all your errors. It will give me something to do as I sit out on the back patio, sipping some wine and looking out over our 3 huge gardens (that apparently cannot exist out here in the Midwest).

Or you can just call it a day. Your choice.
Man, you are totally amazing, "I'm right you are wrong" doesn't constitute an argument especially for someone who's older than 6 y.o.. Cheers. At least you have a chance to grow up together with your grand kid. Don't screw up this chance.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If you missed the point, I repeat it again - "Live and let AT LEAST SOMETHING to survive". I don't claim that there was golden age of agriculture (destructive by definition), I'm aware that today and in the past land is/was mined for profit. All I say that in the past wannabe land miners were restricted by available technology and chemicals, this opened small surviving opportunity for lots of plants and creatures, this, in its turn created rural charm, unintended consequence but nevertherless a very pleasant one. A typical cornhole town of today leaves no pleasant memories, sterile lawns locked in between sterile fields, empty streets devoid of humans.

I'm sure you hint at dust bowl, yet, I've been to KS etc. and given similar weather circumstances there is little doubt it would happen again. Leaving scraggy wheat residue on the field is as affective as spitting to extinguish fire. Areas that dry should not be tilled. If anybody to be thanked for no Dust Bowl II, it's weather, first and foremost.
Wrong. Yet again.

This summer's weather - throughout the Midwest - was hotter and drier than it has been in nearly 100 years. Perfect scenario for Dust Bowl 2. But it didn't happen. Why? IMPROVED AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY. PERIOD.

Next...

Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Man, you are totally amazing, "I'm right you are wrong" doesn't constitute an argument especially for someone who's older than 6 y.o.. Cheers. At least you have a chance to grow up together with your grand kid. Don't screw up this chance.
It's pretty difficult not to say, "I'm right," when I know for a fact that I'm right.

I'm sorry that you're on the wrong side of the facts.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Yet again.

This summer's weather - throughout the Midwest - was hotter and drier than it has been in nearly 100 years. Perfect scenario for Dust Bowl 2. But it didn't happen. Why? IMPROVED AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY. PERIOD.

Next...
Lack of strong sustained winds. Period. Besides, it took a few very dry years for the Dust Bowl to occur. Have you been to KS a lot, huh? Have you seen improved agricultural technology for yourself, or you just read a lot? I'm just typing this because you can actually see overgrazed eroded KS hills and barren fields while driving major interstate highways in KS. Actually, if you are lucky you may drive through a dust storm, just like the ones they have in Utah desert.

Last edited by RememberMee; 08-26-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am surprised to find such opposition on a "green forum" and that begs the question of why are you here?
This forum is a green forum, true....

About facts and the truth, not green conspiracies....

Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
... By the way, did y'all know that most ORGANIC farmers use FAR MORE CHEMICALS than non-organic farmers? I'm sure you didn't...

LOL

Where did you hear that BS?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
LOL

Where did you hear that BS?
BS? Apparently you do rink only from the Organic Industry Kool-Aid Bowl.

Pestcides in Organic Farming
Permitted Chemicals List for Organic Farming
Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture | Science Sushi, Scientific American Blog Network
The Hypocrisy of Organic Farmers

Be sure to wash your Organic Broccoli VERY well, as it likely has known cancer-causing chemicals all over it!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM

350 posts, read 848,091 times
Quote:
BS? Apparently you do rink only from the Organic Industry Kool-Aid Bowl.

Pestcides in Organic Farming
Permitted Chemicals List for Organic Farming
Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture | Science Sushi, Scientific American Blog Network
The Hypocrisy of Organic Farmers

Be sure to wash your Organic Broccoli VERY well, as it likely has known cancer-causing chemicals all over it!
Wow the third one is really interesting, I didn't know about the Bt and E-Coli parts. I know most people here won't read it, but I think the conclusion speaks to what Missing4Seasons and I discussed a while back:
Quote:
What bothers me most, however, is that both sides of the organic debate spend millions in press and advertising to attack each other instead of looking for a resolution. Organic supporters tend to vilify new technologies, while conventional supporters insist that chemicals and massive production monocultures are the only way to go.
As far as I’m concerned, the biggest myth when it comes to organic farming is that you have to choose sides. Guess what? You don’t. You can appreciate the upsides of rotating crops and how GMOs might improve output and nutrition. You, the wise and intelligent consumer, don’t have to buy into either side’s propaganda and polarize to one end or another. You can, instead, be somewhere along the spectrum, and encourage both ends to listen up and work together to improve our global food resources and act sustainably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living