Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Um... because all their products contain GMO crops, and they are afraid that if people know it they won't buy them. Thats what I am arguing... that if people do/don't want to buy foods they know has GMO, whatever their scientific/unscientific or educated/uneducated reason may be, thats their prerogative, and if Pepsi has to adapt their purchasing and packaging accordingly and don't want to, tough cookies thats how capitalism works. If people want to know.. they can know, if people don't care, they can not care.
I'm all FOR people knowing what they're eating, and find it pathetic that most people have no idea what they are stuffing in the ole pie hole.

However, that is NOT what Proposition 37 is all about. It allows state & local governments, and private parties, to sue companies that violate the labeling requirement, yet does not require the plaintiffs to show any damage caused by any violations. Proposition 37 is an unethical lawyer's wet dream.

Proposition 37 allows special interest groups to run amok and unaccountable for disinformation and lies they spread. They're allowed to claim that GMOs carry unintended health hazards, but aren't required to report that there is NO scientific evidence to support ANY of their claims. Prop 37 does not require special interest radicals to admit what the World Health Organization has flatly stated: “No effects on human health have been shown as a result of the consumption of such foods by the general population in the countries where they have been approved.”

Proposition 37 is a measure that was launched by notorious trial lawyer James Wheaton. What does that tell people about its core motivation? Further, its campaign is being funded by special interest groups that stand to reap HUGE financial benefits if it is passed. THAT is why companies like Dr Bronners Magic Soap are dumping MILLIONS of dollars into the campaign.

Proposition 37 is NOT about public safety and health. It is about corporate profits for those who are pushing it.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM

350 posts, read 848,091 times
I agree about the lawsuit part of it too, which is why I said I am ok with the bare bones idea of the proposition, which is simply to label GMO food, but as with many ballot initiatives its complicated by a bunch of unnessary poison pill provisions... I never argued that point. We are arguing two different things here my friend.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
I agree about the lawsuit part of it too, which is why I said I am ok with the bare bones idea of the proposition, which is simply to label GMO food, but as with many ballot initiatives its complicated by a bunch of unnessary poison pill provisions... I never argued that point. We are arguing two different things here my friend.
We're not really arguing two different things.

The problem with Proposition 37 is not the labels, nor the ingredient information - even though special-interest groups have already done a world of harm by the disinformation and lies they relentlessly spread. But... people do have a right to know.

The REAL problem with Proposition 37 is the legal disasters it will foist on any & all companies involved in the food industry. It was originally written by a trial lawyer, pushed and promoted by him. Dozens of multi-million dollar companies - all of whom stand to potentially make even more money from this proposition - are dumping millions of dollars into it.

It's all about the money.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
We're not really arguing two different things.

The problem with Proposition 37 is not the labels, nor the ingredient information - even though special-interest groups have already done a world of harm by the disinformation and lies they relentlessly spread. But... people do have a right to know.

The REAL problem with Proposition 37 is the legal disasters it will foist on any & all companies involved in the food industry. It was originally written by a trial lawyer, pushed and promoted by him. Dozens of multi-million dollar companies - all of whom stand to potentially make even more money from this proposition - are dumping millions of dollars into it.

It's all about the money.
yep. it will be a nightmare for food processors/manufacturers and an orgy for the trial lawyers.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Default As If Monsanto Wasn't Bad Enough, Now Dow

Dow is following in the foot steps of Monsanto.

Agriculture News - weather.com Dow's New Corn: 'Time Bomb' or Farmers' Dream?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:44 AM

You are aware, aren't you, that weeds have been building tolerance to herbicides since the advent of herbicides? 75 years or more?

Where has Carey Gillam been for the past 75 years? Oh that's right, she's just a reporter from Kansas City - obviously one whose very words we are supposed to hang on, as if they're gospel.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry but if you think Monsanto is and has been the only company working on this kind of technology, then it just shows you jumped on the "Monstanto is evil" bandwagon and how little you actually know about it all. Dow, Syngenta, BASF, Pioneer just to name a few have done as much in this field as Monsanto. To burst your bubble even more... Syngenta & BASF are from... Europe!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
I am surprised to find such opposition on a "green forum" and that begs the question of why are you here?

I also know that herbicides and pesticides don't just disappear and no industrial process can remove them from foods. The stronger the poison for the insects the stronger the poison for humans that consume those foods. As you point out weeds have been building a tolerance to herbicides and that puts humans in a war they can not win. The question you need to ask yourself is; if these weeds are such a threat why can organic farms exist and make a profit? The truth is that industrial farms cannot make as large a profit without the use of ever more powerful herbicides and pesticides. The real need of more potent herbicides and pesticides is nothing more than greed without regard to human safety.

Ohazco,

I did not say Monsanto was the only company working on the destruction of the world's food supply. However, Monsanto is one of the leaders and a strong one at that. You need to look at the destruction by Monsanto in South America to see what is in store for the US.

Monsanto: The evil corporation in your refrigerator - DailyFinance

Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
IOhazco,

I did not say Monsanto was the only company working on the destruction of the world's food supply. However, Monsanto is one of the leaders and a strong one at that. You need to look at the destruction by Monsanto in South America to see what is in store for the US.

Monsanto: The evil corporation in your refrigerator - DailyFinance

Your points have been argued exhaustively on here, I'm not rehashing them with you. In fact, there is a whole thread stickied to the top of this forum where this one is probably going to get moved to. I am just pointing out that your thread title says "As if Monsanto wasn't bad enough, now Dow", as if they, and others, haven't been working on this stuff for years alongside Monsanto. Thats not a pro or anti argument.. just a fact.

Last edited by ohazco; 08-25-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Just what we need. A food supply engineered by the people that brought us Agent Orange.

That's just great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living