Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM

350 posts, read 848,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
The FDA is run by a former Monsanto executive. You cannot possibly think that the FDA oversight is sufficient when it comes to GMO products. I also want to see how those US studies alleging the safety of gmo crops were funded. Second, I argue that companies must not gain the right to patent food sources. Particularly given the way Monsanto bullies farmers who are unfortunate enough to have their crops contaminated by gmo trash, and then are sued for patent violations. This is a serious ethical issue with the potential for catastrophe. Seeds that are engineered to become sterile ensuring farmers must buy new seeds next year? You do not see the lunacy in that?

As for evidence supporting the hazards of gmo, the following summarized a few peer reviwed studies in europe that have indicated statistically significant differences between gmo and non gmo products' impact on animal biology. Also, I concur that these should have been tested more extensively BEFORE being approved in the US. If gmos are so safe, why do companies fight so hard against labeling?

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1348032282

Ok... what's your conspiracy theory about the World Health Organization then?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:23 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ahhhh, I see the article you posted uses the infamous "most studies" "A review of 19 studies" crap......

If you go back and read my posts I specifically referenced human beings, not once did I reference lab animals...

I STILL stand by what I said earlier:

NFN but GM foods have been commercially available since 1994, so in 18 years there has been no accredited scientific proof of any kind that they have any deleterious effects on human beings....
Cool, then show me the peer reviewed studies that indicate that gmo's are perfectly healthy. Then we can determine the source of the studies to determine if they were truly objective.

As for the rest, I stand by my ethical conclusions. In nature, one cannot predict how seeds will spread. Introducing these seeds into the wild is irresponsible. We aren't taking about genetic modification for benevolent purposes, but instead to give Monsanto a monopoly, by requiring round up to germinate the seeds. This is wholly irresponsible, and potentially dangerous.

On a related note, there are peer-reviewed works indicating that gmo's are linked to soil depletion. Depleted soil is bad for sustainability.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Ok... what's your conspiracy theory about the World Health Organization then?
You fail. It's a known fact that the head of the FDA has Monsanto ties. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Nice try though.

If a judge must recuse himself from a case due to a conflict of interest, shouldn't the same be true of those involved in corporate oversight, ffs?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM

350 posts, read 848,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
You fail. It's a known fact that the head of the FDA has Monsanto ties. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Nice try though.

If a judge must recuse himself from a case due to a conflict of interest, shouldn't the same be true of those involved in corporate oversight, ffs?
Ok, let me rephrase so that you actually answer my question. What ulterior motive does the WHO have to say GMO are generally safe?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Default GMOs banned in AMERICA?

In the past year several US states began efforts to mandate labeling on GMO products, all failed. Vermont and Connecticut attempted to put forth legislation requiring labeling, but both backed off on threat of lawsuit from Monsanto.

San Juan County

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Since the voters are voting it down, I would draw the conclusion that the majority of voters don't want it.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Silly statement. Might as well ban corn or soybeans.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Default Just an FYI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
In the past year several US states began efforts to mandate labeling on GMO products, all failed. Vermont and Connecticut attempted to put forth legislation requiring labeling, but both backed off on threat of lawsuit from Monsanto.

San Juan County
from the California c-d forum concerning GMO's; it is a couple of months old and I believe Proposition 37 (merely to expect food processors and manufacturers to provide food labeling for GMO products) did not pass.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-labeling.html

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
More sneakiness and manipulation to make it seem GM crops are dangerous....

Séralini study does not provide evidence of GM maize health risks

Quote:
(11 October 2012) According to the results of a long-term feeding study at the University of Caen in France, genetically modified NK603 maize leads to severe health problems in rats. However, the results are disputed in scientific circles. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), the German Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL) and the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) have concluded that the authors’ deductions are not justified because of shortcomings in the study design and in the data evaluation and presentation methods.

“There are flaws in the study design and in the statistical evaluation, so the authors’ conclusions are not supported by the data,” says Professor Reiner Wittkowski, Vice President of the BfR.
Séralini study does not provide evidence of GM maize health risk

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since the voters are voting it down, I would draw the conclusion that the majority of voters don't want it.
I doubt that very much...and find the results to be very "suspect", the "results" were probably bought by gmo companies (very wealthy, and very corrupt)...http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/1...in-california/.......Genetically Modified Foods - What Happened in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living