Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Can ANYONE tell me why the multi-million doller corporation Monsanto spends literally 10s of MILLIONS of dollers to keep labeling OFF gm foods?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM

350 posts, read 848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Can ANYONE tell me why the multi-million doller corporation Monsanto spends literally 10s of MILLIONS of dollers to keep labeling OFF gm foods?
Sure, because they are afraid that people will be turned off by "genetically modified ingredients" and not buy them anymore, rather they are actually bad in any way or not. They are afraid it will be similar to the "pink slime" thing, where people may or may not really know the facts about it, but freak out about it either way. With Prop 37, there was an additional threat of ridiculous and inevitable lawsuits thanks to the props wording. While I hole-heartidly support GMOs, but I don't oppose labeling, I think that if its a big shiny label on the front maybe its a problem, but if its a sentence on the side after it says "may contain traces of soy and peanuts", people who don't care now will continue to not care. I can definitely understand their fear of lawsuits from this particular bill though.

Side-note: I like how you villainize them as a "multi-million dollar corporation". Guess what... your ipod and subaru are made by a multi-million corporations too.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Can anyone tell me why multi-million dollar corporations like MERCOLA.COM HEALTH RESOURCES, ORGANIC CONSUMERS FUND and KENT WHEALY spends MILLIONS of dollers to put labeling ON gm foods?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
There has not been one post in this thread that was against labeling GMO products.

Methinks you'll have to research your question on your own....

The 10 Best Search Engines of 2012

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/..._beginners.htm

Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Can anyone tell me why multi-million dollar corporations like MERCOLA.COM HEALTH RESOURCES, ORGANIC CONSUMERS FUND and KENT WHEALY spends MILLIONS of dollers to put labeling ON gm foods?
Because they feel as intelligent ADULTS we deserve that respect!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post

Side-note: I like how you villainize them as a "multi-million dollar corporation". Guess what... your ipod and subaru are made by a multi-million corporations too.
I don't have either one ohazco, if my wording makes them sound villainous, then they must be.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Because they feel as intelligent ADULTS we deserve that respect!!!
Respect is earned, just because one falls under societies definition of an "ADULT" does not automatically give that person "RESPECT."

So let me get this straight, the anti-GMO multi-million dollar companies feel that their customers are ADULTS and deserve RESPECT but the pro-GMO multi-million dollar companies don't feel their customers are ADULTS and don't deserve any RESPECT....

Gotcha...

Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM

An interesting article from a professor that holds the Robinson Chair in the Department of Agriculture and Resource Economics at UC Berkley.

Granted Prop 37 has already been voted down but it has some good insights on why that was the right thing for California voters to do.....

Why labeling of GMOs is actually bad for people and the environment « The Berkeley Blog

Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Talk about fanatics.....

Commentary: GMO Inside unfair fighters against GMO foods

Quote:
As noted in previous discussions about the California referendum, many of those working for required labeling weren’t thinking anything other than outlawing the use of biotechnology to develop GMO crops. The referendum itself could have been labeled the “No GMOs” campaign.
Commentary: GMO Inside unfair fighters against GMO foods - Newsroom - Ag Professional

Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM

One of the ways American children are being brainwashed by schools against GMO's.

Quote:
The Camera's feel-good piece about the Alexander Dawson summer program ("Summer program focuses on food," July 2, page B1) contained one rather disturbing bit. Or, rather, a disturbing omission. Toward the end the article said that an eighth-grader "... was surprised to learn about the extent of genetically modified organisms in agriculture." It then quoted her: "We learned what people are doing to food and how it can be bad for you. We're learning real-life stuff."

She didn't, apparently, learn anything positive about GMOs.
David Rea: GMO crops are saving lives - Boulder Daily Camera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living