Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times

Advertisements

Report: GMO Crops Benefit Farmers, Consumers Worldwide

Date of report: April 2013

A new report shows the adoption of GMO cropping systems has had significant positive impacts to farmers and customers over a 16-year period.

~ Between 1996 and 2011, crop biotechnology was responsible for an additional 110 million tons of soybeans and 195 million tons of corn.

~ Crop biotechnology has contributed to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture by reducing fuel use and additional soil carbon storage from reduced tillage.

~ Crop biotechnology has reduced pesticide spraying by 474 million kilograms (-9%).

~ The insect-resistant technology used in cotton and corn has consistently delivered yield gains from reduced pest damage. The average yield gains over the 1996-2011 period across all users of the technology was +10.1% for insect-resistant corn and +15.8% for insect resistant cotton.

http://media.cattlenetwork.com/docum...inalreport.pdf

Last edited by plwhit; 09-14-2013 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 01:23 AM

The great GM food hysteria: Do you believe eating genetically modified crops is like dining with the devil? No wonder - that's exactly what apocalyptic eco-zealots want you to think.

Date of article: 6 July 2013

GM, of course, remains anathema to Greens, who speak of opening a Pandora’s Box of possible health catastrophes, so capturing the public’s imagination.

Humans have been genetically modifying crops since farming began many thousands of years ago.
Wheat was developed by cross-breeding different strains of grass. Traditional methods such as this take many plant generations.

Indeed, such has been the hyperbole, the public may be amazed to discover how much GM food they are already happily – if obliviously – consuming with no health issues.

For example, it is a remarkable fact that the widespread introduction of GM maize and soya in countries such as the US means humans have so far eaten more than 3 trillion GM meals.

There has not been a single substantiated case of harm.

On the other hand, there have been several cases where people have died from eating organic food, such as a German E coli outbreak spread by beansprouts infected with the deadly bacteria, which killed 50 and left 3,500 with serious kidney disease in 2011.

On top of that, anyone who drinks milk or eats meat and dairy products in Europe is part of the GM food chain: About 85 per cent of animal feed is also GM maize and soya, mainly imported from America.

The great GM food hysteria: Do you believe eating genetically modified crops is like dining with the devil? No wonder - that's exactly what apocalyptic eco-zealots want you to think | Mail Online

Last edited by plwhit; 09-14-2013 at 01:39 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 AM

And back to the OP...

Date of article: Sept. 6, 2013

Labels for GMO Foods Are a Bad Idea

Quote:
Instead of providing people with useful information, mandatory GMO labels would only intensify the misconception that so-called Frankenfoods endanger people's health [see “The Truth about Genetically Modified Food”]. The American Association for the Advancement of Science, the World Health Organization and the exceptionally vigilant European Union agree that GMOs are just as safe as other foods.
Labels for GMO Foods Are a Bad Idea: Scientific American

For those of you who will say this article is wrong I'll save you some research time. Here is how to contact Scientific American:

Email: SCAcustserv@cdsfulfillment.com

Call:
U.S. & Canada: (800) 333-1199
International: (515) 248-7684

Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 AM

No, You Shouldn’t Fear GMO Corn

Date of article: Aug. 7, 2013

The anti-GM folks here should catch a breath and read this...

Can GMO corn cause allergies? - Slate Magazine

Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Time to call out the anti-GMO conspiracy theory

Date of speech: 29 April 2013

Mark Lynas speech hosted by the International Programs – College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (50th Anniversary Celebration) , and the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University

Mark Lynas » Time to call out the anti-GMO conspiracy theory

Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM

The following is excellent insight into why people distrust GM foods/crops. The bottom line?

When it comes to new, unknown technologies, data always loses out to emotion

And if the reader of this post has followed this thread from the OP one can see this clearly. When asked for concrete accredited proof GMO's are harmful to Human Beings there is none....

Please read this article, it has links to studies done by a psychologist Paul Slovic, who has been studying our perceptions of risk since the nineteen-fifties, Cornell University and Maastricht University, in the Netherlands.

Date of article: August 8, 2013

The Psychology of Distrusting G.M.O.s

Old 09-14-2013, 03:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Those labels are very small and can be hard to find. I recommend the guide at very least. Truth is that about 95 percent of everything on the shelf is GMO. So winnowing is very necessary.
You missed my point. As a practical matter just assume they're 100% GMO and avoid them all unless they say "Organic" or "GMO Free." That will simplify life for you quite a bit, and also be a big timesaver.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
No, You Shouldn’t Fear GMO Corn

The anti-GM folks here should catch a breath and read this...
No kidding.

I have a good friend who is intelligent and otherwise seems quite sane, but on this topic she's completely illogical. She just shared on Facebook that she had found a brand of Organic oatmeal she had been looking for at a store across town, and OMG, it was NON GMO, so she stocked up on it!

When I pointed out that there is no such thing as GMO oats, and that the entire ingredients list on a package of Quaker Oats reads: Oats, she just acted confused.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-14-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No kidding.

I have a good friend who is intelligent and otherwise seems quite sane, but on this topic she's completely illogical. She just shared on Facebook that she had found a brand of Organic oatmeal she had been looking for at a store across town, and OMG, it was NON GMO, so she stocked up on it!

When I pointed out that there is no such thing as GMO oats, and that the entire ingredients list on a package of Quaker Oats reads: Oats, she just acted confused.
Too many of the anti-GMO folks like that article talks about (psychology) are clueless and are scared solely because it's technology... I have a sister-in-law who is absolutely phobic about GMO foods, when I ask her why she points out how many have gotten sick/had reactions to the foods.

Of course when I ask her for concrete evidence that GMO's were the culprit all I get (like here) is correlations...

Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
From my understanding and I can be wrong but if someone produces fruits without seeds (watermellons for instance) the farmer will always have to buy from that same producer and will never be independent from them and eventually be at the mercy of whatever price that they charge in the future. If this could be done on a worldwide scale it could possibly corner the market on where we get our food from.

Personally I rather take my chances with all natural foods, at least that I know that there will be no genetic tomfoolery later on in my bloodline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living