Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Over 30,000,000,000 GMO meals have been eaten over the past 4 decades, you think somebody would have gotten sick?

BTW for anyone who is interested in the truth:

“A seedless watermelon is a sterile hybrid which is created by crossing male pollen for a watermelon, containing 22 chromosomes per cell, with a female watermelon flower with 44 chromosomes per cell. When this seeded fruit matures, the small, white seed coats inside contain 33 chromosomes, rendering it sterile and incapable of producing seeds. This is similar to the mule, produced by crossing a horse with a donkey. This process does not involve genetic modification.”

THE TRUTH ABOUT SEEDLESS WATERMELON « What About Watermelon?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
From my understanding and I can be wrong but if someone produces fruits without seeds (watermellons for instance) the farmer will always have to buy from that same producer and will never be independent from them and eventually be at the mercy of whatever price that they charge in the future. If this could be done on a worldwide scale it could possibly corner the market on where we get our food from.

Personally I rather take my chances with all natural foods, at least that I know that there will be no genetic tomfoolery later on in my bloodline.
More people have gotten sick and died from "natural foods" than GMO foods...

But don't let reality get in the way of hysteria....

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
From my understanding and I can be wrong but if someone produces fruits without seeds (watermellons for instance) the farmer will always have to buy from that same producer and will never be independent from them and eventually be at the mercy of whatever price that they charge in the future. If this could be done on a worldwide scale it could possibly corner the market on where we get our food from.
That was the same argument used against hybrid corn when it was first released by the University of Kansas in the 1930s. Seeds from hybrids don't breed true in the second generation. So what happened? Were the corn farmers enslaved? No, they simply realized that their yields were so much more productive using hybrid seeds than with the heirloom seeds they had previously been using that it simply made financial sense to keep buying new hybrid seeds year after year. And any of them could have gone back to the non-hybrid seeds anytime they wanted to.

Quote:
Personally I rather take my chances with all natural foods, at least that I know that there will be no genetic tomfoolery later on in my bloodline.
That shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what agriculture is all about, because you've possibly never eaten any truly "natural" fruits or vegetables or grains in your life, unless you've wildcrafted seaweed or mushrooms or cactus fruits or the like. Virtually every food item grown on farms and in gardens that is sold in our markets today has been tinkered with and modified and selected and bred by humans at some point or another over the last 10,000 years. In many cases, you would not even recognize the original organism that modern foods were derived from.

And now transgenic technology simply provides a new tool for bringing out desirable characteristics, in addition to all the traditional ones previously used.

Last edited by OpenD; 09-15-2013 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
More people have gotten sick and died from "natural foods" than GMO foods...

But don't let reality get in the way of hysteria....
How is that? Are they foods that were prepared wrong or things that should not have been eaten in the first place?

Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That was the same argument used against hybrid corn when it was first released by the University of Kansas in the 1930s. Seeds from hybrids don't breed true in the second generation. So what happened? Were the corn farmers enslaved? No, they simply realized that their yields were so much more productive using hybrid seeds than with the heirloom seeds they had previously been using that it simply made financial sense to keep buying new hybrid seeds year after year. And any of them could have gone back to the non-hybrid seeds anytime they wanted to.

So if all fruits and vegetables are done this way you can't see the long term probelm with this? If this is continued at this pace you will not have a choice to go back to. I just have a problem with all of my food coming from the same source.....a lab (company) by the same people that manipulates our politicians into sneaking provisions on riders of other bills with no accountability. If there is no harm in it why do they need to do it in the first place?

[SIZE=4]NaturalNews - New farm bill gives Monsanto carte blanche - …[/SIZE]

Please explain to us all why is this trickery even necessary?

That shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what agriculture is all about, because you've possibly never eaten any truly "natural" fruits or vegetables or grains in your life, unless you've wildcrafted seaweed or mushrooms or cactus fruits or the like. Virtually every food item grown on farms and in gardens that is sold in our markets today has been tinkered with and modified and selected and bred by humans at some point or another over the last 10,000 years. In many cases, you would not even recognize the original organism that modern foods were derived from.

And now transgenic technology simply provides a new tool for bringing out desirable characteristics, in addition to all the traditional ones previously used.

Maybe that is the reason why cancer and other diseases are more prevalent now than ever before.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Maybe that is the reason why cancer and other diseases are more prevalent now than ever before.
That's largely a misconception too. 200 years ago living to age 40 was a big deal. Parents had lots of kids because so many of them died. People died from diseases that can be cured today with a shot. And our lifespan keeps getting older and older.

So while certain hazards of contemporary life are new... nobody died in airplane crashes in 1850... there are also many hazards we have reduced to a minimum, such as being kicked to death by a horse, a perennial favorite until well into the 1900s.

And now people live and develop illnesses that they simply would not have lived long enough to develop in earlier times.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's largely a misconception too. 200 years ago living to age 40 was a big deal. Parents had lots of kids because so many of them died. People died from diseases that can be cured today with a shot. And our lifespan keeps getting older and older.

So while certain hazards of contemporary life are new... nobody died in airplane crashes in 1850... there are also many hazards we have reduced to a minimum, such as being kicked to death by a horse, a perennial favorite until well into the 1900s.

And now people live and develop illnesses that they simply would not have lived long enough to develop in earlier times.

Really? so you are saying that we are predisposed to get cancer later in life anyway because we live longer? People lived shorter lives before because there was alot more physical work and not the great advances in healthcare. The advances in healthcare are mainly in big pharma and they have no real intentions on curing anything as Chris Rock had unfortunately joked about. Can you explain why ADD and other three and four letter diagnosis that did not exist 60 years ago are so prevalent now? Is this something else that we would have eventually have gotten if we lived long enough. oh thats right KIDS tend to be diagnosised with this. I guess diabetes is another thing that we would eventually have gotten as well, since that is also on the rise.

This still does not explain why they tried to sneak it into the farm bill in the first place if they were on the up and up

Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime
Yes I believe it is AND ITS VERY SCARY!!!!!!!

Trying to avoid these toxins IS NOT EASY!!!!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I believe it is AND ITS VERY SCARY!!!!!!!

Trying to avoid these toxins IS NOT EASY!!!!
what toxins?

what exactly is so terrifying?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what toxins?

what exactly is so terrifying?

Eating a bowl of ROUND UP and now consuming 2-4D herbicide is really frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living