Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
http://www.lplpublishers.ca/toxiclaundry.html

This link takes you to an article about the hazards of fabric softeners.
Oh boy, another personal blog site citing a study that's over 12 years old and regurgitates whats already been posted here... Copy/paste run rampant on the web at it's best....

Quote:
I think the reason there aren't a lot of studies to prove these hazards is due to MONEY. In this country the big chemical companies like Monsanto have huge amounts of MONEY to fund any study they want, to prove anything they want to prove. They also have huge amounts of MONEY to donate to political campaigns and to pay anybody to say anything they want.
Can you please post the names of the fabric softeners Monsanto markets? Otherwise it has no bearing on this thread...

Quote:
It takes a lot of MONEY to get the scientific studies done and a lot of MONEY to get a harmful substance banned.
How do you KNOW? accredited references please....

Quote:
In the meantime, while we are waiting, it makes good sense to be aware and avoid things that probably are toxic.
So you won't be eating anything or drinking anything, how will you survive?

Quote:
Just because a chemical isn't making you sick right now doesn't mean it won't accumulate in your body and over the years cause a disease. Cigarettes are a good example. I'm glad the OP started this thread because people need to be alerted to dangerous substances, especially those that are in common every day use like fabric softeners.
The above is the classic example of FUD, 30 years and not a peep about this "dangerous substance called "fabric softener" other than some paranoid people's personal web sites....

Not one person since this thread was started has posted any accredited scientific evidence that shows fabric softeners are dangerous toxic products to the world's general population, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Be afraid, be very afraid, something, somewhere, at some time will generate an allergic reaction in a person's body sometime in their life, lets ban everything NOW...

Last edited by plwhit; 07-31-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Why should or would anybody point anything out to you at all - you're obviously not going to agree with anything presented to you.
^ this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Be afraid, be very afraid, something, somewhere, at some time will generate an allergic reaction in a person's body sometime in their life, lets ban everything NOW...
do you not have anything BETTER to do??

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
^ this.

do you not have anything BETTER to do??
Other than bring up common sense and the truth, no not really...

At least I contribute to the discussion and not post sarcastic comments about other posters like some do....

Last edited by plwhit; 07-31-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
What "hidden agenda" could dizzybint possibly have? Fabric softeners are vile and most of all, unneccessary. They do nothing that white vinegar in the final rinse cycle can't accomplish.
Walk down the laundry supplies aisle of any supermarket, and you'll choke from the fabric softeners off-gassing.
I just checked the ingredients of Bounce dryer sheets. There's no chloroform there, no benzyl acetate, no pentane, just ammonium salts synthesized from palm oil, clay, synthetic perfume, and fat, on a polyester sheet. You find more poisonous substances in the air your breathe.

What most people have bad reactions to, are the perfumes. So you buy a fragrance-free dryer sheet instead - in fact, Bounce makes one.

Also, I did a quickie search on pentane, because the word wasn't familiar to me. First thing that popped up was wikipedia, which identifies it as a solvent used in laboratories as fuel components, and that it's an organic isomer.

What I also found, was dizzybint's post, repeated almost ad nauseum, on several conspiracy websites.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh dear oh dear, Ive tried to be nice to you and make friends, sadly this isnt in your plans.. I know exactly what causes my symptoms, why are you on a Green thread when you clearly are here to destroy anything t that I try to tell you... why do you think Im on an allergy site, the biggest in the UK. as a contact support to help others.. do you think they would allow a loose cannon to give out advice to others.. I said I would leave this alone now, so have the decency to do the same.. you seem a bit trollish to me to be honest, and are feeding off my responses so I wont respond again...
I'm with you on this dizzybint, not only are these chemicals dangerous to our health, imagine all that toxic waste flushing down the drains into the oceans.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I just checked the ingredients of Bounce dryer sheets. There's no chloroform there, no benzyl acetate, no pentane, just ammonium salts synthesized from palm oil, clay, synthetic perfume, and fat, on a polyester sheet. You find more poisonous substances in the air your breathe.

What most people have bad reactions to, are the perfumes. So you buy a fragrance-free dryer sheet instead - in fact, Bounce makes one.

Also, I did a quickie search on pentane, because the word wasn't familiar to me. First thing that popped up was wikipedia, which identifies it as a solvent used in laboratories as fuel components, and that it's an organic isomer.

What I also found, was dizzybint's post, repeated almost ad nauseum, on several conspiracy websites.
Party-pooper.
Facts are unwelcome here.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I'm with you on this dizzybint, not only are these chemicals dangerous to our health, imagine all that toxic waste flushing down the drains into the oceans.
What toxic waste is flushed into the ocean from a clothes dryer? Perhaps you can provide some accredited reputable data on how much fabric softener toxic waste is dumped into the oceans, I'd be very interested to read it.

As I've asked many many times in this thread and nobody seems to provide, maybe you can provide it:

Please post the accredited scientific reports/studies/white papers that show fabric softeners classified as toxic waste. Since it's been on the market over 30 years there must be something official... Please review the posts in this thread to see what people have provided as accredited scientific sources before posting more of the same.

Thanks

BTW, not even Wikipedia has any sources that can produce factual scientific data that fabric softeners are a toxic hazard....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabric_softener

Last edited by plwhit; 07-31-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,789 times
Quote:
What toxic waste is flushed into the ocean from a clothes dryer?

As I've asked many many times in this thread and nobody seems to provide, maybe you can provide it:

Please post the accredited scientific reports/studies/white papers that show fabric softeners classified as toxic waste. Since it's been on the market over 30 years there must be something official... Please review the posts in this thread to see what people have provided as accredited scientific sources before posting more of the same.

Thanks
she's talking about liquid fabric softener. was that so hard to understand?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
she's talking about liquid fabric softener. was that so hard to understand?
Still nothing intelligent to contribute to this discussion.....

Here is the Material Data Safety Sheet on liquid Downy, please point out to me where it lists the toxic ingredients:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CH0Q FjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lakeland.edu%2FAboutUs% 2FMSDS%2FPDFs%2F296%2FDowny%2520Fabric%2520Softene r%2520(P%26G).pdf&ei=H4oZUOL0OuPn0QHbi4HgBQ&usg=AF QjCNERWEN1oXSapOPRnFdNLTfuBNBnVg&cad=rja

The Material Data Safety Sheet on liquid Snuggle, please point out to me where it lists the toxic ingredients:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...269kkCZTCrrT9g

As always thank you for your assistance in unraveling this urban myth and conspiracy....

Thanks

BTW, not even Wikipedia has any sources that can produce factual scientific data that fabric softeners are a toxic hazard....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabric_softener

Last edited by plwhit; 08-01-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Still nothing intelligent to contribute to this discussion.....

Here is the Material Data Safety Sheet on liquid Downy, please point out to me where it lists the toxic ingredients:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CH0Q FjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lakeland.edu%2FAboutUs% 2FMSDS%2FPDFs%2F296%2FDowny%2520Fabric%2520Softene r%2520(P%26G).pdf&ei=H4oZUOL0OuPn0QHbi4HgBQ&usg=AF QjCNERWEN1oXSapOPRnFdNLTfuBNBnVg&cad=rja

The Material Data Safety Sheet on liquid Snuggle, please point out to me where it lists the toxic ingredients:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CIMB EBYwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunproductscorp.com%2F msds%2FSun%2520Products%2520Brands%2FSnuggle%2520C oncentrated%2520Fabric%2520Softener%2520(Liquid)%2 520-%2520All%2520Variants.pdf&ei=H4oZUOL0OuPn0QHbi4HgB Q&usg=AFQjCNGF6YL8QB22q3tz269kkCZTCrrT9g

As always thank you for your assistance in unraveling this urban myth and conspiracy....

Thanks

Fabric softener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It doesn't look like anyone is going to feed your demands. Have your tantrum.

There is no point discussing anything with you because you are always right and the other person is always wrong.

There' s no hard and fast evidence for a lot of things but that doesn't mean they're not true. We always knew cigarettes were dangerous but how do you really PROVE it? It's not a simple cause and effect process like smoke a cigarette one day and you'll get cancer the next day. It's a whole lot more complicated.

There are food additives that have been taken off the market, once thought safe, only to eventually be found dangerous. When in DOUBT, avoid the suspicious substance in the first place. Why wait until you have 100% scientific proof? That takes years and years and loads of money to fund these studies. The producers of these products aren't going to fund the studies, that's for sure.

I suppose those of us who are sickened by thing such as fabric softeners, strong perfumes, chlorine bleach, diesel fumes, could spend all day looking up scientific evidence for you. You still wouldn't believe it. You'd still refer to these things as conspiracies. You'd rather tear our posts apart than be open to reason.

I won't feed the troll anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living