Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:13 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

It's not like droughts are a new thing to California, even severe ones, although this one is lasting longer than most others in modern times.

Great Drought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
People are just going to have to face up to the fact that, for now - until this pattern changes, this state is largely desert. Just like much of the West has been for eons. They're going to have to choose between green lawns/boulevards/ample irrigation and taking showers/washing dishes. It's really quite simple.
It isn't quite that simple.

Watering lawns isn't what depleted the ground water sources, big users of water do that.

Consider this: Large water users are mostly grandfathered in with their water rights. They were given those rights because they were food producers and there is an argument for that.

But that isn't what is going on now. There are holders of water rights that instead of producing food are now selling the water and letting the land remain idle. The price of water and it being scare makes it more profitable to sell the water than to raise food crops.

These water rights aren't being used for the good of the many by being used to produce food AND by that generating profits for the water rights owners, they are now being used only to generate profits for the water right owner. That is a change in use and contrary to the intent of the water rights distribution.

As the ground water is depleted you will see problem as are seen elsewhere when ground water is depleted since it can't be replaced by even several years of average rainfall. It is like trying to drive from point A to B with a car that gets 30 MPG and when the tank is nearly empty filling it as if the car would get 60 MPG, you never get there and eventually run out because the amount you put in is always a deficit to the use.

This is not like droughts California has experienced in the past. This is unlike previous droughts. While such droughts have happened in history, it was before California was populated with humans which is now not the case nor is that going to change.

There are solutions to limited water supplies but the political will to use them hasn't yet found its way into the Governor's mind, it is easier to raise taxes, water rates and mandate people cut their water usage 25% and never say anything about the wine makers who deplete ground water supplies and so on.

Maybe California should just become a State of winos. All that would require is a waiver so you can drink wine and still drive.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
If the drought persists, the politics won't matter... There won't be any water.

And we went through the problem in South Florida of water restrictions. Then the water company (really the county) was having a hard time financially because we were not using water...

There has to be a fair way to deal with the people that already voluntarily cut back. They asked us to voluntarily cut back during our drought years too and I always wondered what would happen if it became mandatory.

Right now, I hardly use any water at my house as it sits vacant most of the time - in that scenario what would happen if there was a mandatory 25% cut back and my usage was 10 gal a month on average? There needs to be some sort of logical target for everyone.

Just as if a house sells and 2 people sell their large house, because their kids are all gone and they don't need it anymore. And then a family of 8 moves in... Obviously the water use is going to drastically change.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Good idea even if it's year too late ( a testament to the incompetence of Governor Brown on this issue).

Now for the good news. Those that cut back voluntarily and cut as much as they could are faced with cutting back an additional 25%.

Now think about that. The cut back is going to be mandatory.

There is a good reason why people don't conserve voluntarily. Why conserve when a mandatory requirement doesn't take into account that you might have already done so on your own and really can't do more?

Just pay the fine please, that will teach you.

Yes indeed, many will learn that lesson. Next time, see what happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/us...ught.html?_r=0

Mr. Brown could have done something years ago, he was in office then too. He did nothing. He did however, decide to build a high speed train to Bakersfield. There is nothing in Bakersfield that needs a high speed train.

The high speed train to nowhere.

Now you know what many people don't partake in voluntary conservation. In the end, people get punished for trying to help. Like water rates going up because revenues are down because people use less water.

Had they built scalable water supply systems infrastructure (yes, it can be done) then the maintenance costs would be scalable as well.

Fools all.

Is that reduction going to apply to Barbara Streisand, too? Just wondering, since she didn't think the A/C moratorium a few years back was meant for her .

No one has greener lawns than these celebrities lol.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
All they need to do is this. Come up with 10 million dollars and offer 1 million dollars in cash to the 10 people who use the least amount of water in a certain time period.

Do you know how many people will use ZERO water to try and win the million? Enough people to make a big difference.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Interesting idea, but then you will get the cheaters that will disconnect meters. (Probably will still see a lot of that anyways).

Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
From what I heard we will have to reduce below 2013 usage so there is a break for those that just started last year.
Brought our use down 12% in 2013 and 18% in 2014. If I had to reduce 25% on top of the 20 I've done I'd really be in a hurt.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 PM

So if I moved to CA tomorrow - how would they know whether I was reducing my usage?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's not like droughts are a new thing to California, even severe ones, although this one is lasting longer than most others in modern times.

Great Drought
Well life in 1903 in California is nothing compared to today now is it ?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
It's interesting how the water crisis has not put a dent in local home construction. In fact, it looks like they are working faster before some kind of building restriction is put in place. Within a 10 mile radius of me, I would guess than there are many thousands of new single and multi-unit dwellings under construction. Most home prices start above $600K! Is water included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living