Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times

Advertisements

And some HOA's won't allow you to have sand/rocks or other yards full of just xeriscape type plants either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
About the lawn watering, why not just put in artificial grass? Oh, because HOAs don't allow it?
The areas where there were so many forclosed houses started having dead lawns and unkempt fronts. The cities started fining the owners, which is this case were banks, for the lack of care. What they were doing was using this non toxic spray which made the dead grass look a very reasonable shade of green. They had to trim the trees and make sure the outside wasn't trashed, but the HOA's agreed to the spray. I don't see why they couldn't do that with the drought. Some trees might need watering but that can be done in ground with little water. Grass lawns are water hogs.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:46 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Grass lawns are water hogs.
And on that note, I can't believe anyone would want to sign up to possess a home in an HOA community. Sucker born every millisecond.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
And on that note, I can't believe anyone would want to sign up to possess a home in an HOA community. Sucker born every millisecond.
O

Some areas, if you're not into DIY and remodeling and repair, and want something new, you don't have a choice. Most if not all the new homes come with one. Back in the seventies when my family moved, most of the new housing had an HOA. We bought into the one area which had been built just before they became the norm.

I live in a small town, but I'm pretty sure if they could do it the city would like to insist on running the official HOA, with fees of course. They still *act* like they were one and just call them infractions and bill you.

I guess off incoperated land you could just do your thing, but they'd still go after you for safety violations and fire hazards.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:21 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Depends on the city, city permits, zoning laws, and then if the neighborhood has an HOA. I was just commenting that people willingly sign away their freedoms, but hey do what they want, right?

Old 04-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Not into HOA's in their current state. There are some cities that are just as or even worse than an HOA. Coral Gables, FL would be one of them. Can't park a pickup at our house overnight in your driveway. Even a nice new one that isn't a work truck. Boat... Nope... Houses, only approved colors. Want to remove a shrub, better get a permit and go through an approval process to do so.

The area is nice looking, if not, bland in some areas and the house values are very high. But there is a 'social' price to pay for it.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
And some HOA's won't allow you to have sand/rocks or other yards full of just xeriscape type plants either.
I'm amazed that California didn't ban HOAs from doing this long ago. Colorado passed such a law in 2005 and we are not a state that is on the forefront of water conservation efforts. And as an aside, most of the opposition to this came from conservative lawmakers who apparently don't appreciate that HOAs are quasi-government agencies that are very restrictive of the freedoms of the homeowners in their neighborhoods.

Last edited by xeric; 04-12-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
I'm surprised that so many people are assuming that the 25% cutback will apply across the board to people who are very thrifty as well as those who are wasteful. I can't imagine any city doing that - rather, I think they will target the water spendthrifts and try to bring them in line with what their more conservation-minded neighbors have already done. Also, it's my understanding that the 25% cutback requirement does not apply universally to all cities in the state. Rather, some cities have a smaller conservation requirement because they have already significantly reduced their per-capita water use.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Reading up it appears that California is going ahead with some major Desal plants for drinking water and putting a previously mothballed one back online. I hope that this means that the drought will be over, kinda like breaking down and buying a new snow blower means you will have a mild winter.

Bottom line if the drought persists and water doesn't return in great quantities clean drinking water is going to get pretty expensive in California.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:11 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Reading up it appears that California is going ahead with some major Desal plants for drinking water and putting a previously mothballed one back online. I hope that this means that the drought will be over, kinda like breaking down and buying a new snow blower means you will have a mild winter.

Bottom line if the drought persists and water doesn't return in great quantities clean drinking water is going to get pretty expensive in California.
At this point, if starting next season, the rain is enough to eliminate the drought over a span of three years, you'll see more problems from that than the drought.

Underbrush will grow at alarming rates and with that a huge increase during the summer/fall months, soil erosion, glogged up water way infrastructure and the list goes on.

There is no easy or painless way out.

Notice there is zero planning to deal with a heavy rain next season. Like the drought, they'll wait until yet another crisis hits before lifting a finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living