Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ok, but whose problem is that? Should have thought of it before buying.
Supply constraints, a person has to live somewhere. The majority of condos do not have these things, nor allow them. Allowing them requires changes and many places are slow to get on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Most condo association usual will have no issues with a owner requesting permission to install an EV charging station.

As a partner in a rental company, we routinely will approve EV charging stations for renters. The catch is (and I'm sure the condo association is the same) the tenant has to pay the cost of the installation, permits, utility co meter cost, and the monthly electricity bill. That is usually when people start to get all shaking and have a seizure.

Since we do not pay for gasoline for tenants, we are not going to pay for the electricity for those with EVs.
Most from experience are hesitant to alter their condo rules to allow it. In my own building, they have been back and forth for a couple of years, but finally this year they approved to allow owners to install. I know in the DC area, many condos are against installing these things, or are very slow at getting to approve such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Supply constraints, a person has to live somewhere. The majority of condos do not have these things, nor allow them. Allowing them requires changes and many places are slow to get on board.
Once again, they knew this going in. What if I lived 100 miles from a gas station and complained I run out of gas all the time? Anything free will be abused and wasted. Free school lunch should have taught you something.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Once again, they knew this going in. What if I lived 100 miles from a gas station and complained I run out of gas all the time? Anything free will be abused and wasted. Free school lunch should have taught you something.
I am not disagreeing, I was just pointing out about possible constraints in electric car sales.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I suggest you will eventually add charging stations as an amenity. You may still bill the tenant for electricity used, but that's a pretty small cost. The first cost of the installation plus the cost of a separate utility account is what is causing the problem today.
We do not withhold permission for a tenant to have a charging system installed at their reserve spot so long as they are paying the cost. Some tenants will, others get sticker shock.

We once had some stations in some of the buildings but eventually had them removed for the exact wording of this topic. The problem we saw with certain EV users is they saw these as reserved parking spots for their EV, not as an Occupy While Using! Additionally, we felt the abuse by certain users (an identifiable type of owner) were becoming excessive on the property managers and staff over the stations.

There are enough public stations in the area so EV owners can go there just like regular drivers have to use gas stations. It there is a dispute over the use, lets these strangers duke it out on the street. In our garage, it would be neighbor against neighbor, which is never pleasant. It only takes a few to ruin it for the many.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 AM

762 posts, read 1,751,103 times
There's no excuse for stealing someone's license plate.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 PM

926 posts, read 980,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If 100% of the electricity used to charge your car comes from coal fired power plants, the system is still cleaner than using an internal combustion engine. Cars are filthy.

bottom line: it is easier to control emission spewing out from coal plant than millions of cars.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:54 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
I have an idea. How about charging your car at your home. It's a pretty good bet that people charging their cars at a mall parking lot are not on a cross country trip. How many times do we have to learn that giving away free stuff is a bad idea.
Sad but true.

A Steady supply of "free stuff" creates "freeloaders".

Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
There's no excuse for stealing someone's license plate.
I agree, but I have absolutely no regret that at least one of them won't dare to park anymore. I considered putting that in my car and ran a red light but decided not.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Charging stations are either free /almost unobtainable/ or cost more than gas /15%20% higher nobody course there to charge/ why not make ask stations somewhat cheaper?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:56 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
bottom line: it is easier to control emission spewing out from coal plant than millions of cars.
Those "millions of cars" are subject to the same emission controls. Doesn't matter if one or a million. If one is clean, then all of them are clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living