Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times

Advertisements

You're right it is mostly pennies. Oprah has made this a big deal, making people think that a 120V lamp sitting there plugged in is drawing power constantly. There are some things that will add up ... but very likely it's NOT cell phone chargers (1 watt maybe?) or even TVs or DVD players, but DVRs (could easily be 50 KW/h a month, laptops, etc.... but who wantsto unplug their DVR!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
You got it right, all those little things add up to be... well... little!

Just go to your fuse box. Look at all the rooms you have that have 15-20A service. Chances are, you use a small fraction of that for a small fraction of the day. Then check out your 50-100A service to each HVAC unit you have, the 50A to your water heater and the 25A or so to your dryer. When those run, they are running at probably 80% of max load (and for most of those listed) are running multiple times per day for extended periods of time.

I'm sure others have done this, but you'd be surprised how much of your energy bills are due just to those devices.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
What are you doing to Go Green? Please share your tips and suggestions so that we all can learn from each other.
Drilling for natural gas...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
What am I doing to go green?

Eating the cows.

(and driving a 4cyl manual trans SUV instead of something bigger)

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM

152 posts, read 116,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
What are you doing to Go Green? Please share your tips and suggestions so that we all can learn from each other.
I use my tractor and dump-trailer to collect as much wood and wood-based waste as possible and then I burn it in my large fire-pit 100' square graveled area. So far I have burned many tons of scrap wood, paper, fallen trees, discarded fireplace wood etc.

Every ton I burn releases a tremendous amount of C02 which, as you know, is plant "food".

Just doing my part

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
I did not and will not have children. Until the population is under control, going green is a sham.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
I use my tractor and dump-trailer to collect as much wood and wood-based waste as possible and then I burn it in my large fire-pit 100' square graveled area. So far I have burned many tons of scrap wood, paper, fallen trees, discarded fireplace wood etc.

Every ton I burn releases a tremendous amount of C02 which, as you know, is plant "food".

Just doing my part
Picked up 5 tons of wood chips and cut-up pine today from a tree surgeon friend of mine. It is burning as I type in the trusty fire pit. (occassionally I use it to make high-end charcoal (not briquets, but real charcoal). In the off season, I fertilize the air with co2.

Mahiahiono

Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I did not and will not have children. Until the population is under control, going green is a sham.
Agree.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Why not burn the wood to heat your house, instead of just burning it aimlessly, unless you're sitting around the fire pit with your computer?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Why not burn the wood to heat your house, instead of just burning it aimlessly, unless you're sitting around the fire pit with your computer?
I have natural gas for heat. Using wood for heat is problematical inasmuch as you don't have forced-air pushing warm air through ducts into your various rooms.

My goal isn't heat, it is to help the environment by fertilizing the air with plant food (where plants get their carbon to make cellulose to make their structures with).

I am doing my part, and more, if you ask me, to "go green".

MahiAhiOno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living