Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Thanks but "There are no e-cycling events in New Hampshire registered on our website at this time, to find an event, please check state and local websites."

So what do I do with unwanted monitors and the like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I keep getting requests from my banks and utility companies to "go paperless". Great idea. For each one, the provider will save about $5 a year in postage, not having to send me a statement in the mail. If I go paperless for ten of them, that will save $50. It will sure be nice to have that $50.

Wait a minute. You mean I don't get the $50 myself? Who does?

My phone company says if I go paperless, it will save 6 pounds of greenhouse gasses (what does a pound of gas look like?) 4 pounds of wastewater, a square foot of forest, 6 ounces of paper, and create 20 pounds of oxygen. I wonder if they have thought of leaving out the advertising and promotional inserts that they mail with my bill, which would save about half of that. Why do they need ME to go paperless in order to effect that saving?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I keep getting requests from my banks and utility companies to "go paperless". Great idea. For each one, the provider will save about $5 a year in postage, not having to send me a statement in the mail. If I go paperless for ten of them, that will save $50. It will sure be nice to have that $50.

My phone company says if I go paperless, it will save 6 pounds of greenhouse gasses (what does a pound of gas look like?) 4 pounds of wastewater, a square foot of forest, 6 ounces of paper, and create 20 pounds of oxygen. I wonder if they have thought of leaving out the advertising and promotional inserts that they mail with my bill, which would save about half of that. Why do they need ME to go paperless in order to effect that saving?
I agree w/you, that they want us to go paperless, but typically don't pass any savings onto us!

However, one small benefit I have found was that by going paperless on my electric & gas bill, the utility company allowed me then to pay my balance w/credit card and no charge (they charge $3.95 if you get your bill in the mail & pay w/credit card), and I earn 2% cash back on utilities w/my card - which over the course of a year will amount to approximately $30 (side note - we of course pay the card off in full every month).

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
jtur88 wrote:

I see absolutely no GREEN value in going paperless. There is no benefit to the environment. The $$$ saved on not sending out a monthly bill is just more money in their war chest to spend on junk mail, and/or getting rid of more employees.

oildog wrote:
I drink tap beer.
Now this has some obvious GREEN value. Hats off to you for keeping beer bottles out of the landfills.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
For the life of me I can't see how eating meat harms earth, any more than wearing make up does.

Mac muz, you have lots of great minimalist ideas, I am surprised that you can't understand what big meat industry does to the environment ...

Not talking about your local butcher or your local farm who grows and slaughters themselves, etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
RE: Paperless... It all depends. My bank does not snail mail SPAM me. My phone company/internet provider does. They try to get me to do the SUPER TRIO every single month of my life. I tell them I don't have a TV and can't afford it either. BUT ITS ONLY $100 A MONTH.

What does my bank give me for going paperless (and doing 10 debit transactions a month) 4.25% APY on 25,000 (in a checking account).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
I have to draw the line personally at line-drying my laundry. In Chicago that would cut down my laundry time possibilities to almost nothing due to cold weather seasons and then summer humidity.

http://behavioralwedge.msu.edu/docum...cance_2010.pdf

Old 05-19-2010, 01:42 PM

65 posts, read 251,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I have to draw the line personally at line-drying my laundry. In Chicago that would cut down my laundry time possibilities to almost nothing due to cold weather seasons and then summer humidity.

http://behavioralwedge.msu.edu/docum...cance_2010.pdf
I line-dry my laundry YEAR ROUND here in New England! I hang it on my outside porch. I LOVE the smell of dried laundry in the winter! Winter dried laundry smells so nice! I just make sure to give it adaquate time to dry as the lower dewpoints does slow the drying process down. In summer, I don't have that problem even with high humidity. Given how my line is run. Mother Gaia rinses the clothing off in a rain storm! Great if I didnt manatge to get a thorough rinse in the bathtub (Yes, I wash ALL my laundry BY HAND. I also use a new Maid Rite washboard for those stubborn stains and Ivory Bar soap. I get my cardiovascular excersize as well! Good for Gaia, Good for my clothing AND... Great for me!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
more power to you, definitely. but for a family with two working parents and a kid, I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I take all plastic/paper/glass/aluminum to a recycling center close to me.
I run many errands at once not to drive needlessly on different days.
I only wash/dry clothes when I have at least one full load.
I cook almost everything from scratch. And use all leftovers in new dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living