Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM

65 posts, read 251,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
more power to you, definitely. but for a family with two working parents and a kid, I'm gonna have to pass on this one.
Our parents and grandparents have done this for centuries even with BIGGER families.! Perhaps the ecessive amount of clothing that is worn between washings can be reduced enough that the loads are managable. True, if things are really hectic... I go to the laundrymat. Washing my White comforter on my bed by hand is a real chore! for that I do use a machine at the local laundrymat.

As I already stated. This process is also FUN! Really! I have lost loads of weight by this as part of my excersize regimine. I save on resources and money. I haven't been to the local laundrymat for over a YEAR! I am even learning how to wash area rugs by hand now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ichela View Post
Our parents and grandparents have done this for centuries even with BIGGER families.! Perhaps the ecessive amount of clothing that is worn between washings can be reduced enough that the loads are managable. True, if things are really hectic... I go to the laundrymat. Washing my White comforter on my bed by hand is a real chore! for that I do use a machine at the local laundrymat.
it's something to strive for, but, you have to prioritize. for me, it's more important to dedicate the extra time it takes me to bicycle to work instead of driving.

the important thing IMO is that we should all be continually trying to improve ourselves. all paths are different, but we should be moving towards as light a footprint on the earth as is possible.

we don't want these sorts of conversations devolving into a greener-than-thou chest-thumping machismo thing, and that turns people off at light speed.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default who's cheaper? it is a no brainer

Switching from Raritan Valley Carting service to a local fly by day contractor.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I'm very sceptical about the theory of man-caused climate change and I don't believe in laws that force people to "go green". It seems as though there are some extreme environmentalists out there who want to micro-manage our lives. However, I do believe that frugality and thrift go hand-in-hand with the whole "going green" phenomenon. I personally would have done the following anyway to cut energy consumption and to save money. Here's what I do:

-Don't leave lights on in rooms not being used at the moment. If you're watching tv or on the computer, turn the lights off. No point in having them on (unless you're doing work). Unplug cell phone chargers and appliances not in use and turn off computer (unless maintenance is required). Or put it on "sleep" mode. It's the little things that add up. Why be wasteful?

-Do large loads of laundry on cold, use half the recommended amount of detergent. If possible, dry on a clothes line. Sometimes clothes and towels may get a bit scratchy after drying outside, so just throw it in the dryer for 5 minutes.

-Take short, cool/lukewarm showers. I know it may take the ladies longer to shower, but guys can easily shower in 5 minutes.

-Use wood stove/fireplace during the winter and/or wear warmer clothing and drink warm beverages. Set the temperature low (around 60). The only time I personally would need the furnace to kick on is early in the morning when I wake up to get ready for work or school.

-This one depends on where you live. I live in NW New Jersey, so luckily AC usage can be kept to a minimum during the summer. Although I don't particularly enjoy hot/humid weather, I try to use the AC as a last resort. Usually a ceiling fan and open window do enough to cool off my bedroom. But usually I'm not in my room during the day, so I only turn on the ceiling fan at night when I go to bed. If it's really hot, I either run the AC for a few hours during the evening to cool off my room and then turn that off and turn on the ceiling fan for the night, or I may just leave the AC on for the night. But I rarely have to run the AC and/or ceiling fan during the course of an entire day. I understand this isn't a viable option in hotter climates.

-Drive less, consolidate trips, car pool, use public transportation, etc. I live in an area where driving a car is the only option. Unfortunately there's no reliable public transportation and biking is too dangerous.

Fortunately I have a lifestyle that could be considered "green". I don't enjoy driving, so I only drive to school and necessary places. Of course I go out for entertainment/social gatherings every now and then, but generally I keep driving to a minimum. I actually drive 240 miles per week commuting to school and back, so I really need a break from the car during the weekend. But when I'm off of school, I don't really go anywhere. I just stay home and relax. Yes I'm using energy watching tv and being on the computer, however that is better than being out and about driving and spending/wasting money at stores, malls, restaurants, etc.

Frugality, being green, and being a homebody can be beneficial to the wallet and the earth.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

I'd thought I was living fairly green: adhering to the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, carrying my grocery bags since '90, biking or walking instead of driving my fuel efficient vehicle, etc.

Then I listened to Barbara Kingsolver's "Small Wonder" and find there are so many choices I make that are not green at all!

Non-Green Choices Like:
  • buying items that travel thousands of miles to reach me
  • buying over-packaged, over-processed foods, instead of bulk items
  • buying the non-recycled paper for our inkjet printer -- and not printing on both sides!
  • buying foods from big business sources, rather than local
  • running my dishwasher when it isn't completely full
  • running electricity that isn't being used (computer, lights, etc.)
  • using all the (manufacturers) recommended soaps, when a quarter works as well
The funny thing is, that when I started looking into my habits, I discovered that not only are their benefits to the planet, but to my health and safety, too.

Can you imagine a world piled up with all those tampon tubes, Bic lighters, and all that plastic wrap that seals everything, these days? If I just multiply these items that I've bought in my lifetime by my life expectancy, and then by the anticipated world population, I cringe!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM

254 posts, read 414,912 times
We only use compact flourescent light bulbs
We recycle plastic, glass, paper products (whole neighborhood does this )
We only wash clothes with cold water
We don't send anything to the landfill or buy new if we can Freecycle it (if you don't know what this is, check it out!)
The Freecycle Network

Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
We only use compact flourescent light bulbs
We recycle plastic, glass, paper products (whole neighborhood does this )
We only wash clothes with cold water
We don't send anything to the landfill or buy new if we can Freecycle it (if you don't know what this is, check it out!)
The Freecycle Network
where do you dry your clothes in new mexico where it is very hot ???

Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 969 times
Default Re: What are you doing to go green

Hi,
Nice question.. First and foremost i'l change my home furniture and appliances with the eco friendly produts... I'm thinking of getting solar panels for my roof tops..

Next 'l think of eco home flooring which gives me immense pleasure after it's installation. Instead of using ordinary bulbs i will turn to Solar efficient bulbs which cuts my utility bills by 40%

For more eco secrets check this out...

[URL="http://www.ecohomeassessments.com.au/"]eco friendly house[/URL]

Old 06-23-2010, 05:59 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Use cold water for washing clothes.
Replaced incandescent bulbs with florescent.
Turn water off when brushing teeth or sudsing face.
Short showers.
Shut off cable & modem boxes when not in use. Unplug clocks, appliances, TV - basically anything that isn't being used.

Solar cooking! I just bought a solar oven and am about to start solar cooking!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
...Replaced incandescent bulbs with florescent.
According to my DH, the florescent bulbs have a down-side: they have harmful chemicals that can leach into the environment once they are discarded. I haven't confirmed it, but he's adamant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living