Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 05:55 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Banning gas for cooking is madness along the lines of banning plastic straws. It is a minimal contributor to climate change, gas stoves, water heaters, and furnaces are required to have exhaust vents, and there is no real equivalent replacement--nor will there ever be. While I am strongly in favor of moving away from fossil fuels for transportation and electrical power generation, picking nits like this annoys the bejesus out of me, and is sure to solidify resistance to LEGITIMATE efforts to minimize GG emissions and other helpful environmental policies.

People who want nonsense like banning plastic straws and gas stoves need to learn how to human. They way they're going about it right now, just makes it look like they are purposefully sabotaging environmentalism--which every reasonable human being should favor.
At a time when energy producers are doing rolling blackouts, asking customers to cut back their energy usage, and jacking up their rates the environmentalist also want to eliminate gas stoves, water heaters, clothes dryers, and central heat. We have a gas stove, water heater, and central heat. We were lucky someone had the foresight to install both a gas and electrical connection for the clothes dryer so we could keep our electric dryer when we moved here. When we have an extended power outage we can still take hot showers and cook food. For some homes natural gas or propane is the heat source without electricity. Even natural gas fireplaces and wood burning fireplaces are being banned in some communities for the sake of the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 01:54 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,212,297 times
I have an electric stove/oven for the first time in 20+ years. I miss my gas stove/oven. Damn the climate control and environmentalist wackos. If the power goes out at least I could still cook on the gas stove.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:21 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have an electric stove/oven for the first time in 20+ years. I miss my gas stove/oven. Damn the climate control and environmentalist wackos. If the power goes out at least I could still cook on the gas stove.
Here in hurricane country some families with electric homes will have a camping stove. While many use propane, some will use the old reliable Coleman dual fuel stoves. They take a bit of work to set up and practice to get started properly but they work very well. Most are dual burners but there are cheaper single burner stoves. Some pull out their BBQ pits but they are a desperate last choice alternative.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:05 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Here in hurricane country some families with electric homes will have a camping stove. While many use propane, some will use the old reliable Coleman dual fuel stoves. They take a bit of work to set up and practice to get started properly but they work very well. Most are dual burners but there are cheaper single burner stoves. Some pull out their BBQ pits but they are a desperate last choice alternative.

Be aware Coleman discontinued parts for their older Coleman stoves. I recently bought a new generator tube for my ancient 425C and had to give $30 on Ebay, was $36 on Amazon. Add insult to injury this was NOS and had original retail price sticker on it of $6.58. Saw another NOS from 60s with $1.59 printed right on the cardboard. LOL Yes Virginia, you can still buy a new Coleman stove on Amazon, but look out for sticker shock big time. I am not sure if Coleman is still manufacturing new gasoline stoves or if this is just last of their production. Or if they have sold rights to it to another company that isnt interested in making parts for older models. I would think at prices the old parts are bringing this would encourage Chinese knockoff parts. If they do, hope them make a decent version. No reason new generator tube should be over $15, but it is, what it is. Usually only replacement parts to keep the suitcase stoves going forever is pump leather and generator tube. The gas cap gasket also goes bad, but you can find a temporary substitute. More Coleman stoves die from gross neglect like leaving gas in them in damp environment for two or three decades, than anything else. Take care of it, empty out gas when storing them and keep in dry area and they literally last forever.

Oh by way historically there was the small 425 series, the larger 413 series, and the three burner models which are really rare, think 426? Cant remember. Those were for feeding very large family or crew of workers.

I personally think the 413 were most robust model.

Dont forget the pioneer solution to cooking, use a Dutch oven, the old kind with legs there were meant to cook in fireplace or on campfire. You didnt cook in them over open fire, you put coals under them and on the lid to give even heat. They had a lip around the lid so coals stayed on top.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
I use a hotplate and toaster oven for most cooking. If I replace my coil stove, I would look for a woodburning stove. Gas and electricity may become unavailable, but I see plenty of trees around. I could learn coppicing so trees continue growing after I cut bits off.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I use a hotplate and toaster oven for most cooking. If I replace my coil stove, I would look for a woodburning stove. Gas and electricity may become unavailable, but I see plenty of trees around. I could learn coppicing so trees continue growing after I cut bits off.

I hear you but honestly a wood range is overkill most of time for a single person. takes while to get range heated up. And pretty miserable in summer. There is a reason some rural folk built summer kitchens back in the day, mostly to keep heat from wood range out of the house. They didnt have air conditioning and not even fans back then.

The Dutch oven (kind with legs) I mention and bag charcoal probably best option for single person. You can find them in various sizes. Even reproduction ones, Harbor Freight even used to carry them in camping section for like $10 though sure higher now if you find one. You can of course use coals from a wood fire, but charcoal would be the more convenient "microwave" way of doing it without waiting for coals from wood fire. Also be perfectly acceptable to set it in in your charcoal grill to cook. Not going to seem odd like campfire in your back yard would. Lot more efficient than trying to cook with open fire. You can even bake bread in them. Super practical for antique technology.

EDIT:

Ok, gave a look on ebay. REproduction 5qt dutch oven with legs and the proper kind of lid with lip to hold coals is $35 shipped. For todays crazy prices, its not a bad deal if you will actually use it. Be ok size for single person. You would want to make or buy a lid lifter. Those lids do get hot.

Last edited by HJ99; 07-27-2022 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 09:53 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
In summer heat I could use a solar oven. I have been lazy in not making one yet. I expect I would make several to find the best design.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:59 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Banning gas for cooking is madness along the lines of banning plastic straws. It is a minimal contributor to climate change, gas stoves, water heaters, and furnaces are required to have exhaust vents, and there is no real equivalent replacement--nor will there ever be. While I am strongly in favor of moving away from fossil fuels for transportation and electrical power generation, picking nits like this annoys the bejesus out of me, and is sure to solidify resistance to LEGITIMATE efforts to minimize GG emissions and other helpful environmental policies.

People who want nonsense like banning plastic straws and gas stoves need to learn how to human. They way they're going about it right now, just makes it look like they are purposefully sabotaging environmentalism--which every reasonable human being should favor.
agree 100%, it's utterly stupid. let's take away bob's natural gas stove and force him to cook on this new electric stove, powered by electricity made from burning natural gas, and losing at least 30% of the inherent energy in the process.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
agree 100%, it's utterly stupid. let's take away bob's natural gas stove and force him to cook on this new electric stove, powered by electricity made from burning natural gas, and losing at least 30% of the inherent energy in the process.

Somebody isnt thinking this through. Yea pushing more electric use not that smart. You want more energy efficiency, building codes requiring super insulation and phasing out private vehicles for mass transit would be most logical. Depending on expensive tech requiring rare minerals and having to be recycled in few years, not great. Most pollution is from MANUFACTURE of items, not from energy use of the item itself. Making/selling more short lived appliances/housing/private_cars/etc is not wise. Designing communities where people have long commutes pure stupidity. Problem I suppose, capitalism depends on selling/reselling ever more goods to ever more people. Things that last forever is anti-capitalism cause people arent rebuying/financing them on frequent basis.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Somebody isnt thinking this through. Yea pushing more electric use not that smart. You want more energy efficiency, building codes requiring super insulation and phasing out private vehicles for mass transit would be most logical. Depending on expensive tech requiring rare minerals and having to be recycled in few years, not great. Most pollution is from MANUFACTURE of items, not from energy use of the item itself. Making/selling more short lived appliances/housing/private_cars/etc is not wise. Designing communities where people have long commutes pure stupidity. Problem I suppose, capitalism depends on selling/reselling ever more goods to ever more people. Things that last forever is anti-capitalism cause people arent rebuying/financing them on frequent basis.
But I like living 20 minutes from a larger city, and I don't WANT to use "mass transit" which wouldn't be mass anyway since there's not a mass of people out here. I love my vehicle and the freedom it offers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living