Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 07:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Does induction require different cookware? If so......sigh!

Isn't that becoming the consumer way where we have to buy again and again new stuff every time the format changes?
It depends on what type of cookware you have. Some may work and some might not. I had induction a long time ago and found that I only needed to purchase a pan or two. All the stuff I’ve purchased recently will work on induction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 08:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It depends on what type of cookware you have. Some may work and some might not. I had induction a long time ago and found that I only needed to purchase a pan or two. All the stuff I’ve purchased recently will work on induction.
I ran a refrigerator magnet by some of my pots this morning. Some do, some don't......like the stove top coffee pot. Which made me wonder, that if we are so concerned about being green, how do we have our coffee made?

Anyhow, my cookware is a mixture of stuff. The ancient pots and pans my family used for camping which Mom passed on to me (unknown), the stove top coffee pot (no), stove top coffee percolator (probably-heavy gauge steel), the big wok (yes), the frying pan I "inherited" from a roomie (no), one small wok pot (no), one small wok pot (unknown), cast iron skillet (yes), Ti-Ceramic griddle (probably not), inherited copper cookware (no), aluminum griddle (no), pasta pot (maybe-stainless steel).

I got tired of entertainment media format constantly changing and having to buy it again and again and I got out of that......and I'll be damned if I let them do that to me with my cookware......to say nothing of how I feel about other concerns of this new technology.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:47 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I have an induction range as well as a portable hob that I use at our camp. The capability of the hob lags behind the range by a significant margin. If I were buying a new hob, I'd be sure it had the ability to adjust the temp in very small increments, say 5-10 degrees, instead of settings numbered 1-10, which doesn't provide enough control. My understanding is that induction is supposed to be 90% efficient with conventional electric around 70% (gas is ~40%). Some commercial kitchens are using induction griddles as well as cooktops.

This site has been around since the early days of induction and has a boatload of information squirreled away.

https://theinductionsite.com/
Have to doubt the veracity of the information:
- they sell the products they advocate or get commission
- the power of the burners and the cost comparison of cooking with gas vs with the induction is grossly incorrect.
(The calculations is based on a wrong number of BTU per kilowatt used in their math)

Old 04-07-2022, 11:57 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I got tired of entertainment media format constantly changing and having to buy it again and again and I got out of that......and I'll be damned if I let them do that to me with my cookware......to say nothing of how I feel about other concerns of this new technology.
I feel the same. I bought a set of Calphalon Professional Stainless pots and pans when I got married more than 25 years ago. They are stainless steel with a copper core. I use these pots and pans every day on and in my gas range/stove (there is no plastic on them) and they're still in perfect condition; I'm not interested in throwing it all out and buying new cookware and a new stove. Seems to me the extreme wastefulness of that would offset any environmental benefit of switching to induction.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:09 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
I grew up learning to cook with natural gas. First apartment after being married was electric and I touched the burners to see if they were on. They always were.

Moved to a house with natural gas and an old stove with pilot lights. I was back in my element again and the pilot lights and burners had a cover that was the perfect temp for raising bread or making yogurt. Pilot lights went out occasionally but I have a good nose for natural gas.

Another house in another state and we bought a gas stove with sealed burners and piezoelectric ignition, clean up was so easy other than the grates, but it was a huge step forward. Some of the ignitions needed replaced though. Using a match worked until they were replaced.

Current house in another state and back to electric since there is no natural gas in the neighborhood. Loved the glass top for ease of cleaning, back to touching the burners if they aren’t red. After eight years I finally caught onto to cooking with electric and waiting for the burner to come to temp and to turn the temp down before I think it needs it. Happy with the electric oven for baking. The exposed oven element burnt out and it was like arc welding, yikes! Bought a cheap replacement, DH replaced burners on that glass top twice.

Ordered a induction range with double oven for our anniversary during the early part of the pandemic and waited six months for it. Amazingly, a range with better precision than gas. When I turn the knob up or down the response is immediate. A ten piece set of cookware was included with it and my old cookware works with it. I admit to loving this thing. It only took 50 years.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-07-2022 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 12:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I feel the same. I bought a set of Calphalon Professional Stainless pots and pans when I got married more than 25 years ago. They are stainless steel with a copper core. I use these pots and pans every day on and in my gas range/stove (there is no plastic on them) and they're still in perfect condition; I'm not interested in throwing it all out and buying new cookware and a new stove. Seems to me the extreme wastefulness of that would offset any environmental benefit of switching to induction.
If people were REALLY interested in environmental imact we'd be manufacturing products and appliances by overbuilding them and making sure they last 25+ years. We live in the most disposable society ever and then scream about plastic straws and gas ovens or using too much water in our washing machines. None of it makes sense but most people don't seem to be able to figure that out and just go along with whatever is being pushed the hardest at any given time. And it's usually being pushed to line the pockets of someone.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:36 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Even with a copper core, stainless steel should work on an induction stove. Pots with a copper exterior would not.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:13 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I moved cross country into an area without gas. Nothing has been the same culinary-wise I had baked bread for years that came out so beautifully. Now I've given up with my electric oven. No matter how much fiddling around with the temps I do, the results are not worth the time or trouble.
Did you change elevations?

Old 04-07-2022, 04:22 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Have to doubt the veracity of the information:
- they sell the products they advocate or get commission
- the power of the burners and the cost comparison of cooking with gas vs with the induction is grossly incorrect.
(The calculations is based on a wrong number of BTU per kilowatt used in their math)

I haven't reviewed that math. I can tell you that the site has been around long before they started selling things, and it's one of the few places that even has a list of the products available in the US. There is a lot of information buried there behind the horrible graphics, but obviously it has to pass the smell test like any other internet source.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:06 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If people were REALLY interested in environmental imact we'd be manufacturing products and appliances by overbuilding them and making sure they last 25+ years. We live in the most disposable society ever and then scream about plastic straws and gas ovens or using too much water in our washing machines. None of it makes sense but most people don't seem to be able to figure that out and just go along with whatever is being pushed the hardest at any given time. And it's usually being pushed to line the pockets of someone.

This, items designed to be relatively efficient and last decades not years is truly most environmental. But capitalism depends on selling ever more stuff, so longevity is anathema to good capitalists. It just needs to last long enough that consumer isnt super PO'd enough not to buy the brand again. Otherwise longevity costs sales. If they could get away making cars or appliances that didnt last out the first week, they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living