Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 04:21 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I remember my aunt about a year ago posting on social media "Jimmy Carter installs solar power to power his entire home town." Well, first of all, his entire home town has like 650 people. Secondly, the solar power grid required more than a football sized field to install the solar panels. So yeah, not too impressed. Work the kinks out, folks, and I'm all there. Meanwhile, I'm using natural gas.
Kathryn, the system that powers my house lays flat on my south-facing roof and is all but invisible from the street. There are no kinks, and it's come through a couple of hellacious Colorado hail storms without a scratch. The installation took one day, and it's been trouble-free ever since. I'm not here to argue with people who enjoy using natural gas. Do what pleases you. But installing solar was the best home improvement project I've ever undertaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Kathryn, the system that powers my house lays flat on my south-facing roof and is all but invisible from the street. There are no kinks, and it's come through a couple of hellacious Colorado hail storms without a scratch. The installation took one day, and it's been trouble-free ever since. I'm not here to argue with people who enjoy using natural gas. Do what pleases you. But installing solar was the best home improvement project I've ever undertaken.
I'm glad it's working out for you. It won't work for me for various reasons. And won't work for many others for various reasons too - hence the kinks.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:44 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
The teaching kitchens at Le Cordon Bleu had electric stove tops at one time. I don't know if they still do. And, in any case, I'm not a professional chef, nor do I wish to be. An electric stovetop suits me perfectly well and gets me one step closer to independence from fossil fuels, which is my long-term goal. If others want to use it, that's fine by me, but I prefer electric appliances and have the solar panels needed to power them.

Many commercial kitchens have/are moving to induction.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Interesting. My electric range is coming to the end of its lifetime, and I am considering replacing it with induction. Before I take the leap, though, I'm going to work with a portable induction hob for awhile. I'm excited to try it out and look forward to seeing how it affects my household energy usage. I understand that induction cooktops are about 10% more efficient than ceramic-top units, which is what I use now.

Edit: It would appear Le Cordon Bleu has moved to induction, too. The following linked article has an image of their teaching kitchen in Paris. That's a huge bank of what I can only assume are induction cooktops.

[URL="https://www.cordonbleu.edu/news/fast-track-training-cuisine-pastry/en"]Le Cordon Bleu[/URL]

A little additional research confirms that they are, in fact, Falcon induction cooktops.

Last edited by kj1065; 04-06-2022 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 04:58 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Fact is vast majority are going to use whatever existing stove is there. Its expensive to change either way unless you already set up for both.

And honestly I live rural. Ban gas stoves and I install a wood range with a Coleman camp stove out on patio for summer. LOL I would be very surprised though to see propane banned in rural areas unless banned nationwide.

And comes down to it, I can use an electric stove and survive, grew up parents always had one. I just dont like cooking on them. Means having two burners going, one on high, one on low and moving pot from one burner to the other. CAuse it takes forever for heat to change on electric stove top. Also modern consumer stovetops gas or electric seem pretty weak, guess big brother trying to protect you from yourself. You about need a commercial stove anymore to get burners that put out serious heat.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
And many aren't.

https://www.swgas.com/1409182998356/...NaturalGas.pdf

There are just so many reasons so many people love gas stove tops. Here are some (see link).

Plus, many people just really, really dislike a glass electric range top. And then there's the noise. Induction cooking does create more noise than gas cooking.

But to each his or her own. Glad to see we've all still got plenty of options. I sure hope it stays that way.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Fact is vast majority are going to use whatever existing stove is there. Its expensive to change either way unless you already set up for both.

And honestly I live rural. Ban gas stoves and I install a wood range with a Coleman camp stove out on patio for summer. LOL I would be very surprised though to see propane banned in rural areas unless banned nationwide.

And comes down to it, I can use an electric stove and survive, grew up parents always had one. I just dont like cooking on them. Means having two burners going, one on high, one on low and moving pot from one burner to the other. CAuse it takes forever for heat to change on electric stove top. Also modern consumer stovetops gas or electric seem pretty weak, guess big brother trying to protect you from yourself. You about need a commercial stove anymore to get burners that put out serious heat.
Well, sure. I wouldn't be considering an induction cooktop unless the demise of my current range was imminent. Isn't that true of most things?

Old 04-06-2022, 06:21 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Interesting. My electric range is coming to the end of its lifetime, and I am considering replacing it with induction. Before I take the leap, though, I'm going to work with a portable induction hob for awhile. I'm excited to try it out and look forward to seeing how it affects my household energy usage. I understand that induction cooktops are about 10% more efficient than ceramic-top units, which is what I use now.

Edit: It would appear Le Cordon Bleu has moved to induction, too. The following linked article has an image of their teaching kitchen in Paris. That's a huge bank of what I can only assume are induction cooktops.

Le Cordon Bleu

A little additional research confirms that they are, in fact, Falcon induction cooktops.

I have an induction range as well as a portable hob that I use at our camp. The capability of the hob lags behind the range by a significant margin. If I were buying a new hob, I'd be sure it had the ability to adjust the temp in very small increments, say 5-10 degrees, instead of settings numbered 1-10, which doesn't provide enough control. My understanding is that induction is supposed to be 90% efficient with conventional electric around 70% (gas is ~40%). Some commercial kitchens are using induction griddles as well as cooktops.

This site has been around since the early days of induction and has a boatload of information squirreled away.

https://theinductionsite.com/

Last edited by KCZ; 04-06-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 09:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Does induction require different cookware? If so......sigh!

Isn't that becoming the consumer way where we have to buy again and again new stuff every time the format changes?

Old 04-06-2022, 09:26 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They'll have to take my gas stove from my cold dead hands.
I moved cross country into an area without gas. Nothing has been the same culinary-wise I had baked bread for years that came out so beautifully. Now I've given up with my electric oven. No matter how much fiddling around with the temps I do, the results are not worth the time or trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living