Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,868 times

Advertisements

This past Monday I was at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory on business and then we had a meeting in Modesto later on in the day. During each ride over Altamont Pass, which is the Worlds Biggest Wind Farm by the way, not one of the Wind Mills were operational! In other words none of them propellers were flapping! I asked my associate why they were not working and he gave me a funny look and rolled his eyes! He said it costs way to much for them to be maintained and run so for now they are not being utilized! :c rying::cry ing: There are also several pending law suits and a possible injunction pending as well.

Here is a clear example on how expensive, useless and environmentally dangerous these windfarms are. So next time you hear a commercial from T Boone Pickens or some other charlatan trying to sell our country a windfard just change the channel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Even the transport and manufacturing process of wind turbines creates CO2.
I haven't researched this much, but I would assume that the turbine blades themselves only last a certain period of time before they are a) taken down, b) re-tooled, c) recycled? However, it is much less CO2 being emitted compared with mountaintop removal, transporting coal, and burning coal at the power plant.
Good to bump into you here GraniteStar.

Don't forget the Marcellus Shale -- super giant gas field. It has about 500 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and big enough where it could supply all the gas needs of the US for 2 years. Runs about from NY to WV.
Marcellus Shale Gas: New Research Results Surprise Geologists!

Of course, I am all for using coal. Live in West Virginia.

Coalman, What state do you live in?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Could you please explain the inherent difference between coal and refined coal? I would suspect that the "refined" coal has been processed in some fashion.
Wiki says Refined coal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Refined coal is the product of a coal upgrading technology that removes moisture and certain pollutants from lower-rank coals such as sub-bituminous and lignite (brown) coals.[1] It is one form of several pre-combustion treatments and processes for coal that alter coal's characteristics before it is burned. The goals of pre-combustion coal technologies are to increase efficiency and reduce emissions when the coal is burned. Depending on the situation, pre-combustion technology can be used in place of or as a supplement to post-combustion technologies to control emissions from coal-fueled boilers
I'm not a coal expert but I remember that just a few years ago the coal companies, etc. in the northern part of West Virginia were hurting big time because they had "bad" coal. Didn't affect the mines in southern WV cuz they had good coal. Seem to remember the north was high-sulfur coal, but don't quote me on that. Guess technology helped address the problem cuz I don't hear of that problem with the northern coalfields now.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Found this quite interesting - new one on me:

Quote:
a Dutch [coal] mine ..... has been revived as a source of greener energy -- heating household radiators using warm water flooding its abandoned shafts. ...........
It emits 55 percent less polluting carbon dioxide than other water heating systems.
West Virginia Coal Association - Dutch Homes get Warm Water from Disused Coal Mine (http://www.wvcoal.com/content/view/513/61/ - broken link)

Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
yes yes yes stop trying to do alternative fuel
just use gas lots and lots and lots of gas.
i like big fat americans driving big fat cars
yes yes yes
signed OPEC the pig
ps thanks for the cash i need to buy some new missiles.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM

314 posts, read 930,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes yes yes stop trying to do alternative fuel
just use gas lots and lots and lots of gas.
i like big fat americans driving big fat cars
yes yes yes
signed OPEC the pig
ps thanks for the cash i need to buy some new missiles.
Nice rant

Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times
Nuclear....lots more Nuclear.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Coalman, What state do you live in?
I'm in Northeastern Pennsylvania the heart of the anthracite region, it's only used for home heating purposes and water filtration among other things. Too expensive to use in a power plant.

Because of the lower impurities it's much better compared to something like heating with electric. I get a good laugh when someone suggests I'm doing bad things only to find out they heat with electric. LOL... then I get to set the facts straight. Electric is probably the worst way to heat your home environmentally speaking. Half is produced from burning coal and due to inefficiencies in the delivery system you're electric will require more coal to be burned than what I burn because I'm using a highly efficient system.

I have a very long post here if you're interested:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ers-guide.html

Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Nuclear....lots more Nuclear.
Ahhh but that will create nuclear waste that can be stored in a very small space and we can't have that.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
The corporate wh@res leave out little details like the fact that that 25% of women in this country have mercury levels high enough to GUARANTEE a developmentally disabled child. But to these environmental terrorists that not enough. We need more babies with Downs Syndrome. Coal is the greatest source of mercury in the environment. Oil shale requires enormous quantities of water to process and the energy required to energy produced ratio hardly makes it worth pursuing. All the offshore oil would amount to, at most 2 years supply. The rosy picture these energy Pollyannas paint is highly distorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living