Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,798,787 times

Advertisements

Do you want to save money?
Concerned about climate change?
All your friends are doing it?

Just wondering.

I had someone ask me today, "What if it's in the cards for humans to be wiped off the planet by climate change?"
I replied, "It might be in the cards but I don't want to be around while all the horrible consequences are going on-wars over water, hundred degree temperatures most days, poison ivy everywhere, wearing gas masks eveywhere,etc"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,739,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
"
Do you want to save money?
Don't bother, renewable energy mandates/energy programs will cost you more in the long run.
Concerned about climate change?
Don't be, renewable energy mandates/energy programs will ultimitly lead to the installation and use of more non-renewable assets. Plus it's proven the Humans thrive more during the repeated warming trends then they do during an ice age.
All your friends are doing it?
Would you jump off the bridge if your friends did it?

Just wondering.

I had someone ask me today, "What if it's in the cards for humans to be wiped off the planet by climate change?"
I replied, "It might be in the cards but I don't want to be around while all the horrible consequences are going on-wars over water, hundred degree temperatures most days, poison ivy everywhere, wearing gas masks eveywhere,etc

Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,934,000 times
I live green because I like nature. I enjoy seeing Manatee feeding on sea grasses. I watch in awe as Roseate Spoonbills work the shallows. I like watching things grow, live , thrive.
I live green because I remember the gas lines of the 70's and know that fossil fuels are finite.
I hate the sight of litter on the streets, and highway, neighborhoods.
I like drinking clean water.
I like breathing pollution free air.
I like to think of rain as cleansing not acidic fallout.
I wish all my friends were more were more caring about the environment and resources.
I think going green will cost more money than it will save in the short term.
I'm not convinced that man has as much effect on climate change as our egos want to believe, but if the fear of climate change will help to make more people change to living cleaner with less impact on the environment I'm all for it.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,418,446 times
Our quest is more about becoming self sufficient than living green but sometimes they intermingle.

We get a lot of people asking us why we chose to go off grid. 1. We've never built anything like this before and we like to try new things. 2. We hate bills and having to rely on others for our life.

We want to be responsible for ourselves as much as we can.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,846,077 times
Because I don't like wasting things. I don't like being part of the "throw-away" consumer chain.

And the "renewable energy will cost you more in the long run" is not really true. We put in a solar thermal system - any partly sunny day, our water heater doesn't run, nor does our boiler to heat the radiant floors. Installed (by us) system cost $4,800. Payback time, using current electric rates and not even counting state/federal rebates? 7 years on an expected 20 year system life.

Thinking of oil as cheap is simply because the costs don't include the "externalities" - the Defense Dept. 4,000 US lives, being held ransom by Saudi Arabia, Libya and all the other charming dictatorships that produce the vast bulk of oil. Nor does it include the costs in potable water and ruined land in countries like Nigeria and Angola.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,934,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Thinking of oil as cheap is simply because the costs don't include the "externalities" - the Defense Dept. 4,000 US lives, being held ransom by Saudi Arabia, Libya and all the other charming dictatorships that produce the vast bulk of oil. Nor does it include the costs in potable water and ruined land in countries like Nigeria and Angola.
PNW-type-gal, I wish more people added in the lives of the people who have died and been maimed to the cost of gas every time we fill our tanks.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Because I was raised by depression-era parents to believe that nothing should be wasted, because when it is gone, it's gone, and it's too hard to get it back.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,390,043 times
If it saves me money and isn't an inconvenience, I go green. otherwise, whatever is cheaper or more convenient gets the nod.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,281,009 times
I like to be self-sufficient
I feel closer to nature
It feels more real, not so empty and materialistic
I feel like I am accomplishing something

Old 12-12-2008, 10:11 PM

50,391 posts, read 64,095,870 times
We take our trash to the recycle center because we save money and we don't enjoy being a slave to the garbage truck's schedule. Self sufficiency feels better, too, and so does not adding to a landfill. We could even burn our non recycleables if we wanted to, and then there would be no cost at all.
It's just not nice to litter or to be wasteful or to use more of anything than you need. Just bad manners.

One thing I do not agree with is that humans have much of anything to do with climate change. I think it is just the natural ebb and flow of the planet. Many living creatures have come and gone, and will continue to..including maybe us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living