Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times

Advertisements

Please be sure to read Terms of Service. Pay particular attention to:

Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
I agree with the policy of linking to articles rather than cut-and-paste, but some newspapers do not keep their articles online for very long. The article that I posted had been removed after only one day online with the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner so I used a copy that I had saved. By giving credit to the newspaper, I am attributing my source, thus, it is not plagiarism.

Regards.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
This is becoming more and more a serious problem on the web. The Wayback machine can retrieve some abandoned sites, but many others are just gone. Quoting a couple of pertinent sentences plus a link is about the bast one can do. Copying an entire article is generally a violation of copyright law.

Copying entire articles can also lead to less discussion and more throwing of "position papers" at debate opponents. Forums are about (hopefully) intelligent discussion, and massive quotes just lead to clutter, so avoiding them is really better all around.

(Sorry for stepping on mods toes, but I've been around usenet and forums enough to have seen what works and what doesn't.)

Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Also, wanted to note:
Violations of TOS will result in a warning or infractions being given.
It may also lead to a ban from posting on City-Data.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
unsticking thread since this issue is also addressed in the "restricted topics" sticky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living