Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your preference
Paperless 22 29.33%
Traditional 26 34.67%
Middle of the Road / Transitioning 27 36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I Still use TP...I just can't get used to that dang electronic butt wipe... And corn cobs are out of the question.
I really hate it when there you sit, and the batteries are dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
But if your creditor's servers are glitched or hacked and your information is compromised , you will need hard copy(paper) to verify your transactions.
And what hard copy would that be? I doubt anyone has checking accounts that actually returns cancelled checks anymore. Many creditors don't even send checks to you bank, but electronically send an image of your check to your bank.

Your bank, and billpay service will verify payment made. I had one billpay payment by check from the credit union arrive late. The credit union resolved the late payment, late fee, etc. and proved the problem was with the post office (this was for a creditor that didn't accept electronic payments then. The delay was traced down to a massive power failure at a Dallas TX mail sorting facility that delayed huge amounts of mail for days.

You or I as a private citizen would have had a hard time proving why it was late, and would have taken more time than it would have been worth.

Hard copy you say you need, most banks charge $5 for a copy of a check these days.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
I guess what it boils down to is that each of us should be able to utilize whatever method is the easiest, and the most comfortable for us. For those folks who like going paperless, more power to them. There's nothing wrong with that. But, for those of us who like paper, I hope we'll be given a little leeway, also. There's still quite a few of us who prefer more traditional methods, whether it's paying bills/debts, keeping records, or reading a newspaper, or book. It really is a matter of preference, whichever direction one takes.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212
So are you Paperless or Traditional
Mostly traditional for me..... I only like plastic bags MORE as they have a handle to hold the bag with

Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
The only mail we get is junk mail, which rarely makes it into the house past the recycling bin. I cannot remember the last time we sent something in the U.S. mail. We have "opted out" of the phone book as it went directly into the recycling bin too so we haven't had one in years. We may still print an occasional airline boarding pass, I just don't trust that my I-Phone will cooperate when I go to board the plane, but otherwise our printer uses very little paper. All of our bills are paid online, with text message alerts when they are rendered, though the mortgage people still send a confirmation by mail after we pay it. Books are downloaded from Amazon or the library website and read on I-Pads. I still get one magazine, (Hotrod, a gift) but plan to let it expire and use the online version.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
We do everything possible to be paperless. All our bills are paid on line, most via credit card or directly from the bank. Only write a check about 5 times a year, usually for a gift. We opt out of catalogs and rarely get any mail. Whatever mail we do get goes into the shredder. In the grocery store we bring our reusable bags, recycle more than half of our trash including cans and bottles. Use filtered water from refrigerator instead of bottled water. We recycled all our books we had, either donating to the library or recycle bin. We use Kindles and no longer buy books.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:03 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,160 times
Pretty old fashioned here. Pay bills with checks, hate e-mail, carry cash and use the dreaded USPS. Not to say I'm totally computer averse, I just hate how my e-mail account fills up with SPAM and if I did receive electronic notices that weren't actually junk, I'd never find them buried in the mass of SPAM I get. I always thought that senders of SPAM should pay a small fee for each piece of crap they send, much like you would if you were mailing bulk mail through the USPS. At least if there was a charge it would greatly reduce the amount of unsolicited crap you'd get.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:33 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
+/- 80% paperless. Aiming for 90% by end of year.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
I get all the paper they will send me then I burn it in my wood stove for heat during winter.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I fully use both paper and paperless methods for billing and records. If my computer broke down, I wouldn't want to be left without a means to receive bills and notices. And I feel much less likely to lose my records of important things, by having both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living