Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times

Advertisements

I just viewed a T.V. show that pointed out a reaction called the "Albedo Effect" where white surfaces reflect heat, darker ones absorb. This is how the Earth's Ice Age accellerated at a very rapid rate. Surfaces would become white with snow and ice, reflecting heat which would create more cooling leading to more frozen white surfaces and so on.

If more of us drove white cars (preferably hybrid) painted buildings or homes white, more white in landscaping and ground surfaces, etc. would it have any impact on present undesirable trends the earth is presently going through..?

Yes, I know, things might get a little boring, but a boring yet healthy earth might be more desirable than a more exciting alternative.

Besides, look at Mykonos Greece, no stranger to white, but still pleasant and charming.

Food for thought anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I just viewed a T.V. show that pointed out a reaction called the "Albedo Effect" where white surfaces reflect heat, darker ones absorb. This is how the Earth's Ice Age accellerated at a very rapid rate. Surfaces would become white with snow and ice, reflecting heat which would create more cooling leading to more frozen white surfaces and so on.

If more of us drove white cars (preferably hybrid) painted buildings or homes white, more white in landscaping and ground surfaces, etc. would it have any impact on present undesirable trends the earth is presently going through..?

Yes, I know, things might get a little boring, but a boring yet healthy earth might be more desirable than a more exciting alternative.

Besides, look at Mykonos Greece, no stranger to white, but still pleasant and charming.

Food for thought anyway...
White everywhere?

Do you have any idea how bland that world would look?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Sounds like a shovel ready stimulus bill job.

Paint the Mojave Desert white! It might cool the earth and I'm sure the citizens of Baker or Barstow or Needles would appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
lighter colored roof tops help with your electric bill.

I think we should make all surfaces out of leaves. leaves always feel cool.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
lighter colored roof tops help with your electric bill.

I think we should make all surfaces out of leaves. leaves always feel cool.
well, for what that's worth, green (living) roof tops are making a big comeback. They help with surface runoff too (important for cities that have drainage issues)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,739 times
Isn't it ironic that CO2 is (supposedly) bad because it's a greenhouse gas and makes the planet heat up. Yet, the "cure" in nature is plant life which converts that evil CO2 to oxygen but the plant life is dark colored (green and brown for the most part) and absorbs heat which (supposedly) makes the planet hotter. You might also want to consider that ocean water which covers 2/3's of the globe is dark blue and absorbs a lot of heat too. Damn that nature!

Even if the temperature of the earth could be measurably affected by making everything light colored (which is seriously doubt) it wouldn't mean anything. The planet can shed 20, 30 even 50 degrees of temperature into the atmosphere in a matter of hours. It happens every day when the sun goes down. It's like a pot of hot water on a stove. It matters very little if the water is 175 degrees or 200 degress. When the heat is cut off on the stove, the pot will be room temperature in about an hour. The planet works on the same concept.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Let's make sure that all that white paint we use is lead-based paint.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
well, for what that's worth, green (living) roof tops are making a big comeback. They help with surface runoff too (important for cities that have drainage issues)
Yes, and you just have to trim the roof once in awhile, cuttings are compostable, no shelling out thousands to tens of thousands to replace the roof every 30 years. Also a great insulator to keep heating and cooling from esacping through roof.

Fully and partially "bermed" houses where one or more walls are actually undergound us the earth's natural thermal and regulatory properties to cut fuel and electricity use.

I'm thinking, surfaces would not have to be necessarily white to help cool the earth, any lighter color or shade may help.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Imagine the amount of CO2 produced to create all those white surfaces.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Based on sunshine intensity data collected when air travel was shut down after 9/11 the condensation trails left by "normal" air travel reduced the incoming sunlight by 3% by reflection the light back toward space. This is a significant amount of energy not added to the atmosphere. It would act in a cooling direction.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living