Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ---
--- 0 0%
--- 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times

Advertisements

There are some small areas west of downtown on Spring Garden St that almost rival Elm st in terms of night life, mainly due to UNCG. Spring Garden St between UNCG and Holden Rd has become the "college strip" and you can see a lot of young people walking the streets and eating at restaurants and bars along Spring Garden St on a Friday or Saturday night. In some ways it has the feel of a mini downtown. There are even some old early 20th century commercial buildings along Spring Garden St similar to what you see on South Elm St in downtown Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,907,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
In 2010, Durham and Winston were separated by about 1300 people. That's pretty darn close for cities of this size. Considering 2012 is only an estimate and Durham's been particularly hot lately, the shift isn't surprising.

If you look at a city that is REALLY held back by annexation laws, the disparity is much more evident. Columbia, SC, for example, feels like it should be on par with Winston, and may actually feel a little bit bigger in spots. Sure, it's the capital and has USC, but that's only part of it. If you visited and had to guess the population, especially based on visits to Greensboro or Winston-Salem, you'd probably say 250-300k. It's actually closer to 130k, even though its metro is larger than either Winston or Greensboro (though not nearly as large as the Triad CSA)
Cola often feels like much more of a city like than Winston... if I'm not mistaken, winston got a gain from annexing parts near Pfafftown several years ago. The density in the annexed areas (while enough to be in lockstep with the law for density) is not what you'd expect for a city of Winston's size.

In terms of conservatism, keep in mind that Salem was settled by Moravians. GSO's big settling influence was Quakers. Research that.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,907,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
These two cities lead growth in the Triad.
Growth in what?!

Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 PM

67 posts, read 134,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There are some small areas west of downtown on Spring Garden St that almost rival Elm st in terms of night life, mainly due to UNCG. Spring Garden St between UNCG and Holden Rd has become the "college strip" and you can see a lot of young people walking the streets and eating at restaurants and bars along Spring Garden St on a Friday or Saturday night. In some ways it has the feel of a mini downtown. There are even some old early 20th century commercial buildings along Spring Garden St similar to what you see on South Elm St in downtown Greensboro.

I'm surprised that its actually taken this long.
I know UNC and NC state have bigger schools, but their 'strips' Franklin st/ Hillsborough st. have been going strong(er) for decades.
For a city with 5/6 universities, surely we should be at the same level of the two other schools by now. The Spring Garden strip is a good start. It feels more like an extension of the university now.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,876,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Growth in what?!
I think it is growth in population. While the vast majority of the growth in NC is concentrated in two cities, Raleigh and Charlotte. If you were to rank it(growth rate) Winston and Greensboro would behind (3)Durham and (4)Cary.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM

It really is a mystery as to why the triad cities are growing much slower than Charlotte and Raleigh . the triad has the right formula. a number of good universities, good quality of life, and better than average transportation infrastructure . so why aren't those high paying jobs coming in large numbers?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It really is a mystery as to why the triad cities are growing much slower than Charlotte and Raleigh . the triad has the right formula. a number of good universities, good quality of life, and better than average transportation infrastructure . so why aren't those high paying jobs coming in large numbers?
Maybe you answered your own question.
Maybe all the high paying jobs go to Charlotte and Raleigh when companies decide to move to NC.
We do have a lot of universities here, but once again, the lack of those good jobs forces graduates to
seek employment elsewhere like Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1960 View Post
Maybe you answered your own question.
Maybe all the high paying jobs go to Charlotte and Raleigh when companies decide to move to NC.
We do have a lot of universities here, but once again, the lack of those good jobs forces graduates to
seek employment elsewhere like Raleigh and Charlotte.
I guess the question is what makes companies choose Charlotte or Raleigh over the Triad cities when the Triad cities have an educated workforce and lower cost of living? Certain type of jobs I understand. Many like to cluster are RTP

Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
I guess the question is what makes companies choose Charlotte or Raleigh over the Triad cities when the Triad cities have an educated workforce and lower cost of living? Certain type of jobs I understand. Many like to cluster are RTP
It's the quality of the workforce (much higher in Charlotte and the Triangle) and the effects of clustering. RTP, which had the backing of state political, business, and academic leaders, has been very instrumental in developing tech, pharma, etc. clusters in the Triangle, and the banks have helped Charlotte develop its cluster; also Charlotte's central location within the Carolinas makes it an ideal place for logistics, manufacturing, etc. I think Winston-Salem could have been the banking powerhouse in NC, or at least close to Charlotte's level, if BB&T and Wachovia had leaders like Hugh McColl and Ed Crutchfield at the helm who were aggressive in acquiring other banks.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
High tax rates perhaps?
However I remember there was a time when the Triad was more on the up and up.
textile jobs and furniture manu moved out/overseas, along with Tobacco taking a big hit, it really put a hurtin on the Triad.
I have a lot of graphic designer / photographer friends whose jobs tanked when that happened.
I think the Triad timed out at the same time Raleigh and Charlotte were exploding.
That growth could have just as likely happened here, had it not been for that set back.
Thats just my guess though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point