Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ---
--- 0 0%
--- 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

They are more or less equals in most categories, but for economy, I give the edge to Winston-Salem. Greensboro might have a slight edge of shopping with a few more retail/restaurants options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
I lived in Greensboro and worked in Winston. I much preferred Greensboro. It just seemed a lot cooler and more diverse. It is larger with more/better bars and restaurants. Winston seemed a little more conservative and traditional while GSO seems to be a little more liberal and modern.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
These two cities lead growth in the Triad.

Which one do you prefer in terms of:

Economy
Shopping
Quality of life
Safety
Activities
Funny opening sentence, as if any others are remotely competitve with these two.
I give the edge to Greensboro just because anyone or anything flying into the triad to do business via commercial airline won't be landing in W-S.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times
Having lived in both cities at different times in the past, I much prefer Winston-Salem from an urban standpoint. Greensboro reminds me of a lovely smaller city.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Greensboro has better entrance/exit ramps.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Funny opening sentence, as if any others are remotely competitve with these two.
I give the edge to Greensboro just because anyone or anything flying into the triad to do business via commercial airline won't be landing in W-S.

Ouch you struck a nerve with some...cough yadkinv cough. LOL

For those of us who live in the area, we are going to be pretty bias. It would be interesting to find out what visitors think. I love Greensboro better because there are just more options in just about everything. There are more recreational & entertainment amenities. There is a greater variety of retail and restaurants (Brooks Brothers, PF Changs, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Wolfgang Puck Pizza, Apple Store, not to mention a true downtown grocery store ect) and there is a more diverse economy. Its not just about lab suits.

Winston-Salem's downtown looks more urban because it has more tall buildings and old industrial buildings which help give it urban vibe and character. Winston-Salem also has a true x and y axis downtown with 4th and Main. Greensboro seems to just have a y axis downtown with much of the activity focused on Elm Street. Greensboro needs to focus on its downtown x axis which is Market St and Friendly Ave. However once you leave downtown Winston-Salem its a different story all together. The city looks small outside of downtown with highways in need of repair and resurfacing. Its just the opposite in Greensboro. Greensboro looks like a much bigger city outside of downtown, particularly near the Interstates with more development, 10 lane freeways, high-rise hotels and flyover ramps crossing over bridges. However Greensboro's downtown is growing and there are some big urban projects in the works like the completion of the downtown greenway, the performing arts center, South Elm Street development and the University District proposal which in some ways is similar to PTRP in Winston but is more university/college based and is much larger in scope with collaborations that go far beyond health and science. Greensboro is doing something different from injecting a PTRP clone in downtown Greensboro. But an urban research park and an urban university district accomplish the same things and thats using collaborations to attract new industry to the cities and jobs downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-20-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Due to my job, I'd have to work in Greensboro. However, I'd choose to live somewhere near central Winston-Salem.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ouch you struck a nerve with some...cough yadkinv cough. LOL

For those of us who live in the area, we are going to be pretty bias. It would be interesting to find out what visitors think. I love Greensboro better because there are just more options in just about everything. There are more recreational & entertainment amenities. There is a greater variety of retail and restaurants (Brooks Brothers, PF Changs, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Wolfgang Puck Pizza, Apple Store, not to mention a true downtown grocery store ect) and there is a more diverse economy. Its not just about lab suits.

Winston-Salem's downtown looks more urban because it has more tall buildings and old industrial buildings which help give it urban vibe and character. Winston-Salem also has a true x and y axis downtown with 4th and Main. Greensboro seems to just have a y axis downtown with much of the activity focused on Elm Street. Greensboro needs to focus on its downtown x axis which is Market St and Friendly Ave. However once you leave downtown Winston-Salem its a different story all together. The city looks small outside of downtown with highways in need of repair and resurfacing. Its just the opposite in Greensboro. Greensboro looks like a much bigger city outside of downtown, particularly near the Interstates with more development, 10 lane freeways, high-rise hotels and flyover ramps crossing over bridges. However Greensboro's downtown is growing and there are some big urban projects in the works like the completion of the downtown greenway, the performing arts center, South Elm Street development and the University District proposal which in some ways is similar to PTRP in Winston but is more university/college based and is much larger in scope with collaborations that go far beyond health and science. Greensboro is doing something different from injecting a PTRP clone in downtown Greensboro. But an urban research park and an urban university district accomplish the same things and thats using collaborations to attract new industry to the cities and jobs downtown.
There is much truth to that, it seems people won't wander beyond Elm St from Market to Lee. There are attractions just not the saturation in the area I mentioned.

Oh, Greensboro has hotter women.
........and a team in the NCAA tournament.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There is much truth to that, it seems people won't wander beyond Elm St from Market to Lee. There are attractions just not the saturation in the area I mentioned.

Oh, Greensboro has hotter women.
a lot easier to get laid

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

Winston-Salem's downtown looks more urban because it has more tall buildings and old industrial buildings which help give it urban vibe and character. Winston-Salem also has a true x and y axis downtown with 4th and Main.
Main? Shouldn't that be Cherry/Marshall as the key north/south route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point