Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronswanson219 View Post
Never. Taking a trip there in june. Seems to be affordable with nice people and good weather
there still has to be a reason you are picking W-S over all of the over places that are (more) affordable with good/better weather--what made you pick a city you've never been to?? I can't quite imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,351,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
there still has to be a reason you are picking W-S over all of the over places that are (more) affordable with good/better weather--what made you pick a city you've never been to?? I can't quite imagine that.
But aren't those good enough reasons to move a family to an area sight unseen?!? Then complain about the lack of jobs, etc

Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
I've lived in Lewisville for the past 16 years, and we love it. It's a very short drive via highway 421 to Winston Salem. (10 to 15 minutes) Lewisville Elementary can't be beat as far as rankings, (10 of 10) and great staff! On the Lewisville square, there is an amphitheater where out door movies are shown in the summer. Easter egg hunts are a big deal for the kids, and a beach music festival is held for all ages once per year. In the past, sand was spread on the roads, and bands performed from the back of a huge flat bed truck. Plays are performed different times during the year, with fireworks on the 4th of July, a Halloween party, and Christmas Tree lighting are all free events! The area is great for walking, and there are swings for the kids to play on. It also has a covered picnic area. This area is a "throw back" to when things were simple, and fun. I almost forgot to mention that Conrad Road was named the prettiest spot in Forsyth County, with it's tunnel of trees! Every Christmas, one family on that road re-in acts the "Christmas Story" by covering their yard with scenes from the movie. It draws a lot of people every year. If you are looking for a place to raise a family, you won't find a better place than Lewisville!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,492,734 times
This place sounds great. I am also from NY seeking an affordable quality of life. Where do people who live in Winston-Salem work? I am a single 40 year old woman. Which zip codes should I look into? I would like to be close to the park, grocery store preferably a Whole Foods type and the library.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,404,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
This place sounds great. I am also from NY seeking an affordable quality of life. Where do people who live in Winston-Salem work? I am a single 40 year old woman. Which zip codes should I look into? I would like to be close to the park, grocery store preferably a Whole Foods type and the library.
Where to people work? At hospitals, banks (BB&T is HQ'ed in Winston, and Wachovia Banks, which is now part of Wells Fargo, was founded there), tobacco companies, textile companies, universities, municipal and county gov't, etc.

As of November 2012 (the most recent numbers I could find), the largest employers in Forsyth County (in which Winston-Salem is located) were:
1) Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (12,837 employees)
2) Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center (8,145)
3) Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools (6,692)
4) Reynolds American (RJ Reynolds Tobacco's corporate entity) (3,000)
5) Wells Fargo Bank (2,800)
6) City of Winston-Salem (2,660)
7) Hanesbrands, Inc (as in Hanes underwear, etc.) (2,500)
8) BB&T (bank) (2,200)
9) Forsyth County (2,029)
10) Wake Forest University (1,680)
(From WinstonSalem.Com, the WS Chamber of Commerce site. Full list here: http://www.winstonsalem.com/files/Fo...yers2012Q3.pdf)

If you're looking for in-town living with amenities like Whole Foods and access to parks, I'd recommend the closer-in neighborhoods in 27103 and 27104. There are parts of 27101 and 27127 that would fit the bill, too, but there are a several questionable areas in those zips, too.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Where you work would of course be mostly tied to your previous education and experience. "People work" at the same places they do in any other city

You sound like you might not have even been for a visit, which makes me wonder how you know you want to move to Winston specifically? I would suggest coming for a visit, and while you're here, looking around including at job listings in YOUR field. There is no "one size fits all" answer to the question "Where should I live and work?" Zip codes are not usually the best way to decide where to live either, but if you are determined to move to Winston-Salem sight unseen, here is the City-Data page on W-S. There are also similar pages on the individual zip codes.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,492,734 times
I am not interesting in making a move sight unseen. It sounds like a nice place to live and I just wanted information. Thank you.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM

42 posts, read 104,335 times
goodlife36: "I am not interesting in making a move sight unseen. It sounds like a nice place to live and I just wanted information. Thank you."

Good answer. I am hoping to move to WS this year, hopefully not later than September 2015. I have been there for a brief visit; plan for longer visit in May. It's impossible (in my opinion) to get every nugget of information you may need for a move, but I believe you can get enough information to form a positive (or negative) opinion on the area. Go with your "gut" and with the attitude that you can make it work if you like it enough.

Good luck to you (and me!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point