Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,630 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking to relocate away from Brooklyn ny to winston salem and were just wondering about neighborhoods and the best places to raise our infant daughter. Ny is becoming too expensive for us. Which neighborhoods are best? How's the food?schools?people? Just a general idea of the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM

34,200 posts, read 83,388,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronswanson219 View Post
Me and my wife are looking to relocate away from Brooklyn ny to winston salem...
Why Winston-Salem?

Quote:
...wondering about neighborhoods and the best places to raise our infant daughter.
How's the food?schools?people? Just a general idea of the area
Have you never been here?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Never. Taking a trip there in june. Seems to be affordable with nice people and good weather

Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,439,642 times
Winston is very nice and affordable. Have you looked at jobs and salaries in NC? One thing you might notice is that they'll be lower here, which is why it's so much less expensive that New York City.

Another thing to consider is what do you take for granted that you might miss? Family support and proximity? An extensive public transportation system? NY pizza? Just some things to consider.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM

The family support definitely worries me a little. The public transportation I can do without although it's a definite plus and the pizza! I didn't think of the pizza!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,640,535 times
I grew up in NY (Westchester County), though I left 30 years ago... I like living in Winston-Salem (moved here 3 years ago). There is some pretty good NY-style pizza around, maybe not an exact replica, but I like it (I prefer Mario's Pizza).

Just be prepared for some culture shock if you move. The larger cities seem to be much more accepting of outsiders than smaller towns.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:01 PM

What was most shocking for you?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,640,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronswanson219 View Post
What was most shocking for you?
Don't know if it was one thing. It's been a bit difficult getting used to a much slower pace of life. We first lived in Greenville, in the eastern part of the state, and more people looked unfavorably at "Yankees" than what we've seen here in the Triad. We moved near Wallburg, NC (Meadowlands subdivision) and love it. It's definitely suburban, and there a LOT of people from outside the area - probably more than NC-local people.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,075,103 times
There are a lot of New Yorkers in the Winston-Salem area...the culture is a bit different from NY but it's still the U.S., so you should be fine. The most successful way to enjoy relocating to a new area is to embrace and appreciate it for what it is rather than comparing it to what you had before. I've seen people come here and complain about what we don't have, and it took them much longer to find happiness.

Like emelvee already said, you will find NY style pizza just about everywhere in the U.S. - it's a popular style. Every restaurant may be slightly different, but it will be similar to what you're used to. Even though there are still different regional cultures in the U.S., in 2014 there is much more blending than you would have seen 30 years ago. Come on down and enjoy the milder winters and the friendly people...I hope you find what you're looking for here.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,566,877 times
Do you need a job? I would be more concerned about that before even thinking about neighborhoods. Getting a job anywhere in NC is not a given unless you already have a transfer locked up.

Having said that, I love W-S and think it's a great place to live. Not too big, not too small, just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point