Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the city make the right decision. Waiting for Carroll to build anything is a fool's game. He admits in the Rhino Times he doesn't even have a single tenant lined up for "Project 561". And thats after what, 3 years of trying? G'boro isn't the market for that kind of expensive, grand building. Its a Project Slugger market. Thats reality, and I'm glad the city recognizes it.

Last edited by BC1960; 04-26-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Sounds like the city make the right decision. Waiting for Carroll to build anything is a fool's game. He admits in the Rhino Times he doesn't even have a single tenant lined up for "Project 561". And thats after what, 3 years of trying? G'boro isn't the market for that kind of expensive, grand building. Its a Project Slugger market. Thats reality, and I'm glad the city recognizes it.
If that's the case then yes it certainly makes much more sense that the city chose to do what it did. Even if maybe it wasn't the most tactful way of going about it.

But it's no surprise to hear that. I knew it couldn't of been coincidence that Carroll was so public with project 561 at its birth but then had been virtually silent about it for so long.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Developers play these games with cities all the time. They propose something grandiose, that has no possibility of happening, just to get the city to pony up incentives, land, etc. Then once the developer gets what they truly are looking for from the city, the project is either dramatically downsized, changed, or cancelled altogether.

I knew from the beginning that something was not right with this picture, and my instincts tell me that the city picked up on the same vibes that I was getting about Carroll and his true objectives.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
I say it often for people childish enough to think Charlotte builds big buildings for the sake of it or how Fayetteville should build skyscrapers, etc.

Office towers are built due to demand. If there is demand for a larger office tower in downtown GSO, there would be one being built. You can’t blame a city for lack of demand.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Developers play these games with cities all the time. They propose something grandiose, that has no possibility of happening, just to get the city to pony up incentives, land, etc. Then once the developer gets what they truly are looking for from the city, the project is either dramatically downsized, changed, or cancelled altogether.

I knew from the beginning that something was not right with this picture, and my instincts tell me that the city picked up on the same vibes that I was getting about Carroll and his true objectives.

Of all the projects in uptown Charlotte, 1 got incentives towards a massive parking deck. It was supposed to be underground and delayed and delayed while the city built a a park on the land as incentives for him to build, put a grandiose UNCC building on the land as part of incentives and lots of tax credits towards a parking deck.

The deck has been complete as a brutal structure. Unfinished. Dirt. Rebar sticking out everywhere. I think now he won’t even get his incentives because it’s sat abandoned for so long. A city that has develop happening everywhere around it..... (and it’s at a new light rail stop)

He sold part of the land last year. The company will build a 33 floor apartment tower, 5 floor lowrise....

Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 AM

171 posts, read 159,250 times
I think we need to work on the projects we have and then work on building up. Not saying they shouldn't and i would love to see a new tower but its just not in the cards at the moment.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Clearly Roy Carroll is upset sbout this. He was tweeting about it 1 am in the morning. He never tweets that time of morning so clearly he's losing sleep over this.

Bottom line the city should have continued to work with Roy Carroll on the DECK PORTION. Afterwards let him build his tower on top when he wants to whether it be in two years or 10 years. Dont worry about his timeline for the building on top. Focus on the deck so Project Slugger has parking facilities. It doesn't make sense for the city to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on designs then abandon it and start all over on another deck across the street. The city will now have to buy land which they didnt have to with Roy Carroll and there is no guarantee the owner will sell. Pretty big risk in trying to save project slugger. Even a few city council members said the city's new direction is not a done deal. The city could very well regret its decision because now the deck project is delayed at least another 6 to 8 months just to get to the point they were with Roy Carroll.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-26-2018 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 11:38 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Clearly Roy Carroll is upset sbout this. He was tweeting about it 1 am in the morning. He never tweets that time of morning so clearly he's losing sleep over this.

Bottom line the city should have continued to work with Roy Carroll on the DECK PORTION. Afterwards let him build his tower on top when he wants to whether it be in two years or 10 years. Dont worry about his timeline for the building on top. Focus on the deck so Project Slugger has parking facilities. It doesn't make sense for the city to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on designs then abandon it and start all over on another deck across the street. The city will now have to buy land which they didnt have to with Roy Carroll and there is no guarantee the owner will sell. Pretty big risk in trying to save project slugger. Even a few city council members said the city's new direction is not a done deal. The city could very well regret its decision because now the deck project is delayed at least another 6 to 8 months just to get to the point they were with Roy Carroll.
You speak as though you know all of the details that led to this decision, which i'm sure you don't. The city of Greensboro has made many questionable decisions in the past, but i'm sure they have good reasons for why they decided to pull the plug on this at this current time.

Maybe Carroll is so upset because the city is no longer going to allow him to run roughshod over them...

Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You speak as though you know all of the details that led to this decision, which i'm sure you don't. The city of Greensboro has made many questionable decisions in the past, but i'm sure they have good reasons for why they decided to pull the plug on this at this current time.

Maybe Carroll is so upset because the city is no longer going to allow him to run roughshod over them...
Id questioned the city's decision based on how they have handled this process with both decks. Sorry but taxpayers are not going to be happy with the city wasting their money.

If you think it's ok to just throw away 300,000 or 400,000 dollars thats on you.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Westin Development group gear up. Hotel to have restaurants and roof top bar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-easement.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point