Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Id questioned the city's decision based on how they have handled this process with both decks. Sorry but taxpayers are not going to be happy with the city wasting their money.

If you think it's ok to just throw away 300,000 or 400,000 dollars thats on you.
The city would be wasting much more money if they built a deck and it took Roy 10 years to build anything that would use it (i.e. pay money to the city to recoup the cost of the deck).

Quote:
Clearly Roy Carroll is upset sbout this. He was tweeting about it 1 am in the morning. He never tweets that time of morning so clearly he's losing sleep over this.
Who, besides you, cares? Seriously, you need to get a new hobby besides Roy Carroll.

Last edited by BC1960; 04-26-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The city would be wasting much more money if they built a deck and it took Roy 10 years to build anything that would use it (i.e. pay money to the city to recoup the cost of the deck).

Who, besides you, cares? Seriously, you need to get a new hobby and have your lips surgically removed from Roy's backside (or whichever side they on).
Why do you even care because you cant stand Greensboro

Old 04-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Why do you even care because you cant stand Greensboro
You sound like a child. Greensboro is my hometown. My family has lived there for generations...my great grandfather was mayor, my parents still live there. My roots and connections there are much older and stronger than yours. I love G'boro. But what does does loving (or hating) a city (who even does that?) have to do with anything? Thats so immature and dumb.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 PM

171 posts, read 159,250 times
Quote:
Westin Development group gear up. Hotel to have restaurants and roof top bar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-easement.html
Wow that looks great now to get something built where the News and Record is located!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Wow that looks great now to get something built where the News and Record is located!
excelent design!

Slightly shorter. At 17 stories tall, but WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better looking and way more presence.

Last edited by YinXyang; 04-26-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 05:38 PM

32 posts, read 27,856 times
WFMY News 2 has a video and article titled “City of Greensboro Cancels Planned Development Near Ballpark”. It features a rendering of the modern deck & tower building. Roy Carroll is not happy to say the least. I’am sure that more info will come out.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
WFMY News 2 has a video and article titled “City of Greensboro Cancels Planned Development Near Ballpark”. It features a rendering of the modern deck & tower building. Roy Carroll is not happy to say the least. I’am sure that more info will come out.
Yes i saw it. He had the Aloft logo in that building. My feeling is its cancelled for now obviously. But Carroll did mention he still plans to build it but now there is no timeline. Some have argued the viability of Carroll's project and you know what, it could have been 561 feet or something a little smaller. City documents said 15 to 20 stories on top of the 8 story deck. Even if he went with 15 stories, half of that would be occupied with Aloft. I dont think it would have been difficult to fill up the other remaining 8 floors if you split it between office and residential. Under those conditions his tower would have certainly been feasible. I agree with what Carroll said. The city chose a 6 story office building over a larger more transfomative project that would have altered Greensboro's skyline which is crazy. He said only in Greensboro.

Now that the city is building another deck project in that vicinity, Carroll still has two options to make his project work down the road. One is to build it next to Center Pointe and lease parking spaces in the Bellemeade deck next door. No need to build a deck. The other is to build it in the location he planned to build it across from the ballpark and the city could build a skywalk from its deck to his tower. Its rediculous to think the project can't happen just because the deck isnt beneath the tower. Yes in both cases I don't see how it could be 561 feet but it would still be a great signature tower for downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-26-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Based on what Im seein in the business journal, the height of the Westin has been reduced from 10 stories on top of a 6 story deck to 6 stories on top of a 6 story deck. The number of rooms remain the same but the foot print of the building is larger than the previous rendering which explains the height reduction.

The design is also different.

Honestly no one knows exactly how many floors. We have been hearing different numbers in the media. Not even sure if this is the final design because there are a number of different designs floating around out there.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-26-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I dont think it would have been difficult to fill up the other remaining 8 floors if you split it between office and residential.
Far more pertinent is what the market thinks, and since after 3 years Carroll has exactly zero office tenants lined up, the market thinks you're wrong.

Quote:
Under those conditions his tower would have certainly been feasible.
Except that it wasn't. If it was, it would be built by now.

Quote:
The city chose a 6 story office building over a larger more transfomative project that would have altered Greensboro's skyline which is crazy.
No, the city chose an actual, real project that is ready to begin construction over a pie-in-sky dream that has gotten zero traction in 3 years.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Far more pertinent is what the market thinks, and since after 3 years Carroll has exactly zero office tenants lined up, the market thinks you're wrong.

Except that it wasn't. If it was, it would be built by now.

No, the city chose an actual, real project that is ready to begin construction over a pie-in-sky dream that has gotten zero traction in 3 years.
Exactly, it's all up to the market and the market was saying that the office tower was getting little to no traction. It simply wasn't feasible. The 6 story structure is ready to go. Maybe a larger office tower will be feasible in 5-10 years or so. But not right now. Heck, Project Slugger just lost three stories because they couldn't fill it (OK, some tenants did back out, but it doesn't appear that others were chomping at the bit for that "prime" real estate).

Basically, this is an example of "I can hand you $1000 right now and you walk away, or I can hand you a free Mega Millions lotto ticket, take your pick". Only a fool would take the Mega Millions ticket as the odds are astronomical of anything good happening. Same goes for Project 561, it wasn't going to happen so the city is moving forward with an actual ready to go project. Bird in the hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point