Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times

Advertisements

So then about this?

[IMG][/IMG]

Thats good because Greensboro really needs a building in that spot, will connect the skyline with the rest of the buildings, that gap has got to go.

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-08-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Not wholly surprising. It was owned by a first-time restaurateur and he opened it across from Crafted, which I know isn't authentic Mexican, but it is very popular and it does scratch that tortilla itch for most customers. Plus that building is slightly cursed when it comes to restaurants, no?
Even the Crafted's slogan says they are a taco joint, not a Mexican restaurant.
I agree, the former Zen location seems to be cursed. I know of at least 4 attempts since Zen closed. I get the impression some restaurateurs under estimate downtown diners.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM

Iv'e been wondering this for awhile, Will Roy carrol ever build phase 2 of Centerpointe? i say this because currently there are only 10 units availabe in centerpointe at the moment. eventually it will be time to complete phase 2.

Meanwhile, alot of new heavy construction equipment on the bellemeade site, adjacent the New Bridge Bank Park.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Iv'e been wondering this for awhile, Will Roy carrol ever build phase 2 of Centerpointe? i say this because currently there are only 10 units availabe in centerpointe at the moment. eventually it will be time to complete phase 2.

Meanwhile, alot of new heavy construction equipment on the bellemeade site, adjacent the New Bridge Bank Park.
Rumor has it a lot of those units are leased which may not compel him to go with the 2nd phase. It may also explain the surge in apartments rather than condos.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM

If he does get to Phase 2 of the project, i'm sure it will incorporate a mixed used style, and not just purely residential like Centerpointe phase 1. and yes the current apartment surge is true, Bellemeade village is going to feel like a city within a city, At 4 acres and 9 stories tall all with the dense space of new bridge bank stadium, Greenway at stadium apartments and the fisher green, all stuffed into the same street.

That alone with completely drastically change the look and feel of downtown on the ball park side, aswell as connect it to the financial district.

i really hope all this development in that one area kick starts Greene street, as it just seems so dead compared to Elm. And with Union Square under construction, Elm is just going to get busier.

Greensboros core downtown area(Elm-Greene strip) is not very large, certainly compared to winstons Spread out Grid system of streets, so with all the apartments being built and people moving downtown, it's already very crowded and extremely dense. Eventually they will have to start building up, just like they're doing with the wydnham hotel building. rather it being 6 stories like the Hyatt to come in Bellemaede, it's 7 stories ontop of a 5 story parking garage, which i think is an excellent idea and space saver with parking etc.

The great thing about all of this is, Downtown residential demand is very high, and Office demand is beginning to pick up aswell as seen by Charles Aris moving his headquarters downtown. and other people looking to build office buildings downtown.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:50 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
A lot of people forget that downtown Greensboro is over a square mile and its not just Elm Street. In fact downtown Greensboro and downtown Winston-Salem are actually about the same size. Downtown Winston feels bigger because much of its taller buildings are more spread out and it does have more of a street grid system with more blocks which makes it feel bigger. Downtown Winston also has an x and y axis strip (Main and 4th streets). Greensboro's just really has one main downtown strip (Elm St) I think the challenge for developers is to spread out their projects from Elm and Greene Street. There are a number of development opportunities on Davie St, Church St and Eugene St. There is also a forgotten part of downtown which I believe will be the next frontier for redevelopment (the area bound by Spring Garden Street, Eugene Street, Lee Street and Freeman Mill Road. Its close to Union Square and the greenway and would make a great expansion area for the downtown University District. Currently its the most inactive part of downtown and is full of overgrown weeds, vines, abandoned rail line and a few small businesses fronting Lee Street. Its a very large area with no streets and it use to be a hobo camp.

Greensboro is also long over due for a streetscape plan that covers the entire downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-11-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
A lot of people forget that downtown Greensboro is over a square mile and its not just Elm Street. In fact downtown Greensboro and downtown Winston-Salem are actually about the same size. Downtown Winston feels bigger because much of its taller buildings are more spread out and it does have more of a street grid system with more blocks which makes it feel bigger. Downtown Winston also has an x and y axis strip (Main and 4th streets). Greensboro's just really has one main downtown strip (Elm St) I think the challenge for developers is to spread out their projects from Elm and Greene Street. There are a number of development opportunities on Davie St, Church St and Eugene St. There is also a forgotten part of downtown which I believe will be the next frontier for redevelopment (the area bound by Spring Garden Street, Eugene Street, Lee Street and Freeman Mill Road. Its close to Union Square and the greenway and would make a great expansion area for the downtown University District. Currently its the most inactive part of downtown and is full of overgrown weeds, vines, abandoned rail line and a few small businesses fronting Lee Street. Its a very large area with no streets and it use to be a hobo camp.

Greensboro is also long over due for a streetscape plan that covers the entire downtown.
But yea, really the main office buildings and highrises/midrises atm downtown that are 10 stories and over, including proposed are:

1.Lincoln financial, 374 feet, 22 floors.

2.Centerpointe Phase 2,370 feet, 28 floors(proposed) (mixed use modern tower hopefully)

3.300 North Greene(wells fargo) 265 feet, 21 floors.

4.Renaissance plaza, 244 feet, 20 floors.

5.Center pointe, 234 feet, 16 floors. including pent house.

6.jefferson standard building, 233 feet, 18 floors.

7.Wyndham conference hotel, 221 feet, 13 floors. (planning/development)

8.Gateway plaza, 189 feet, 15 floors.

9.Marriot Greensboro, 151 feet, 14 floors.

10.Guilford building, 164 feet, 13 floors.

11.US trust center, 139 feet, 10 floors.

12.Self help center, 123 feet, 10 floors.

That said i do like the Greensboro skyline, and with the coming additions, it will only get better.

i however don't like how the trust building is hidden behind Renaissance plaza(left)

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-12-2015 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

It does seem to be a bit of a challenge to get people off Elm St and hopefully these upcoming projects will do just that.
Market/Friendly serve as the other axis IMO.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It does seem to be a bit of a challenge to get people off Elm St and hopefully these upcoming projects will do just that.
Market/Friendly serve as the other axis IMO.
Greene Street needs to be bothways, the current setup is ridiculous.

Also i'm thinking the next section of Downtown to really take off with growth like the current boom around the ball park is definitely Davie street, with the Wyndham hotel tower going up there, that's going to be a major Catalyst for growth on that street. i can see atleast one or two mixed use residential mid-high rise(10-14 stories) being built to complement the Hotel tower, as davie street does have a bit of land that's available for development, which is currently being used as parking lots.

And as i said before, with DowntownGSO.net, the monthly statement mentioned that alot of potential developers are interested in land on Davie street. Davie (street scape) also needs a boost in appearance as it seems so forgotten.

So i'm looking forward to see what happens with Davie Street.

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-12-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM

Really cool video of a drone flying over downtown in 1080p HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43XBV1zG1tc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point