Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of Publix scouting sites across the Piedmont Triad region for future stores?

Publix #1475: LDI-Line has a project listing for Publix #1475, locating at 34 Miller Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104-4212.

This is Publix's first store in Winston-Salem, and the first store in its Charlotte Division's Greensboro region.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 10-10-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:35 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix #1475: LDI-Line has a project listing for Publix #1475,
locating at 34 Miller Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104-4212.
Eventually they'll start the demo ...then they can start the construction.
We might even have a store there before the end of the decade.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
Quote:
Is anyone aware of Publix scouting sites across the Piedmont Triad region for future stores?
Yep. We're aware. Plenty of people are excited about the new Publix (whenever it gets built), but it is across the street from a Whole Foods and a block from a Harris Teeter, so some wonder about the need for another grocer in the area.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Publix #1475, 34 Miller Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104-4212

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Eventually they'll start the demo ...then they can start the construction.
We might even have a store there before the end of the decade.
Publix #1475 will be open sooner than the end of the decade. I do not know how long demolition of the existing structure will take. After demolition, the site would need to be graded and prepped to specification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yep. We're aware. Plenty of people are excited about the new Publix (whenever it gets built), but it is across the street from a Whole Foods and a block from a Harris Teeter, so some wonder about the need for another grocer in the area.
Whole Foods is in a different league than Harris Teeter and Publix. Each store should compliment each other well, but Publix and Harris Teeter would be competing against one another.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Publix #1475 will be open sooner than the end of the decade. I do not know how long demolition of the existing structure will take. After demolition, the site would need to be graded and prepped to specification.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Quote:
Whole Foods is in a different league than Harris Teeter and Publix. Each store should compliment each other well, but Publix and Harris Teeter would be competing against one another.
...we know. There are actually two Harris Teeters within a mile of that location, plus a Trader Joe's and the aforementioned Whole Foods. As a resident of that area, it's nice to have options, but it does feel like an awful lot of grocery stores in one clump. I've always thought it was a little silly to have two Harris Teeters so close together to begin with, but that's just me. If Publix thinks that's the best spot, more power to them. I'll shop there some. Publix has the best store brands of any mainline grocery store I've been to.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
I think he was being sarcastic.

...we know. There are actually two Harris Teeters within a mile of that location, plus a Trader Joe's and the aforementioned Whole Foods. As a resident of that area, it's nice to have options, but it does feel like an awful lot of grocery stores in one clump. I've always thought it was a little silly to have two Harris Teeters so close together to begin with, but that's just me. If Publix thinks that's the best spot, more power to them. I'll shop there some. Publix has the best store brands of any mainline grocery store I've been to.
Ohh, right! There is HT at Thruway, forgot about that one.

That's how I felt about the proposed TJs at Friendly. Since I don't live in that area the proposed rezoning wasn't going to affect me.

Some HT locations are former Krogers from a store swap many years ago. I have wondered at some point at time if corporate will start thinning the locations.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

That's how I felt about the proposed TJs at Friendly. Since I don't live in that area the proposed rezoning wasn't going to affect me.
Yep. Though at least TJs is a discernibly different shopping experience than most grocery stores (smaller footprint, different specialties, mostly private-label, etc). HT and Publix are pretty similar (conventional grocery stores of the upmarket side).

Quote:
Some HT locations are former Krogers from a store swap many years ago. I have wondered at some point at time if corporate will start thinning the locations.
Ah! That very well may be, and would certainly explain the proximity. That'd be before my time, though. Both HT locations seem reasonably busy when I'm there, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some herd-thinning now that the acquisition by Kroger is complete.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,163,296 times
Article in this morning's W-S Journal says Publix construction to begin early next year, targeted to open by the end of 2015.

Link

Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

Quote:
Yep. Though at least TJs is a discernibly different shopping experience than most grocery stores (smaller footprint, different specialties, mostly private-label, etc). HT and Publix are pretty similar (conventional grocery stores of the upmarket side).

Ah! That very well may be, and would certainly explain the proximity. That'd be before my time, though. Both HT locations seem reasonably busy when I'm there, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some herd-thinning now that the acquisition by Kroger is complete.
Kroger's North Carolina stores are in its Mid-Atlantic Division, based out of Roanoke, Virginia. Its South Carolina stores, including Myrtle Beach, are served by its Atlanta Division. Harris Teeter operates as a division of Kroger, and overlaps two divisions. I do not know if Kroger's North Carolina and South Carolina stores are being reassigned to the Harris Teeter division and continue to operate as Kroger.

If Kroger has multiple Kroger and Harris Teeter stores doing very well together, I doubt any store closures would occur yet. Publix will look to add many quality stores.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM

459 posts, read 586,696 times
You need a second part time job to shop at Publix ..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But they do have a decent meat department ..... if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point