Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times

Advertisements

The Triad is a great area to be, which includes Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point, and too many to name in between! There is a lot to offer here, so what does your family enjoy? I grew up in Charlotte so I may be able to help you understand the difference between the two.Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-29-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Arts Council of W-S and Forsyth County

Charlotte Culture Guide

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
If we want to partake of the "arts and culture" of Charlotte, we make a day trip down there; sometimes a weekend with a hotel stay. Otherwise, since "arts and culture" aren't the be-all and end-all of our existence we stay in W-S with its slower pace, generally more friendly people, and room.

We used to live a short space away from Charlotte, but the rampant growth over the last 20 years got on my nerves. The traffic and sprawl I do not miss in the least. Living here in W-S, we feel that we can have the amenities of a larger city (it's only about an hour away, unless you are heading to the south side of Charlotte) without having to endure the daily madness of that place.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM

112 posts, read 290,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Minus the two hospitals, the public school system and the W-S city government - the handful of major employers that Winston-Salem has remaining are very limited with most jobs being for uneducated, labor-type employees.
this is just a ridiculous statement.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM

322 posts, read 666,931 times
Cotton sounds like a real advocate anyway....maybe he'd be happier if he just moved.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Cotton sounds like a real advocate anyway....maybe he'd be happier if he just moved.
My primary residence is Dallas.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
this is just a ridiculous statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I'll help you with the website for: Winston-Salem's Chamber of Commerce

I'll help you with the website for: Winston-Salem Business

By the way, you'll notice that Winston-Salem Business was last updated way back June, 2007. Ummm, maybe someone might want to tell Bob Leak that's 2 1/2 years ago! Oh, also remind him that Dell decided to leave W-S.

Minus the two hospitals, the public school system and the W-S city government - the handful of major employers that Winston-Salem has remaining are very limited with most jobs being for uneducated, labor-type employees.
I have provided a list (compliments of W-S Chamber of Commerce and W-S Business) of all the major employers in Winston-Salem. My statement (as noted above in red), which you obviously disagree with, is what I consider truthful, fair and accurate...especially considering that the topic of this thread is about comparing W-S with Charlotte. If you truly think my opinion is ridiculous I challenge you to provide your list of the W-S major employers - excluding (as I said) the two hospitals, the public school system and the W-S city government. Please feel free to use the two websites I have provided...or any other [linked] website you can find that may have a larger list of major employers that benefits your argument.

Last edited by highcotton; 01-31-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM

These companies or institutions employ over 500 people:
BB&T, GMAC, Budd Group, RJR, Pepsico, USAirways, AON, Krispy Kreme, Wake Forest University, Lowes Foods, Forsyth Tech, Wachovia, HanesBrands.... There are more, 80% of these are just based in Winston-Salem.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
These companies or institutions employ over 500 people:
BB&T, GMAC, Budd Group, RJR, Pepsico, USAirways, AON, Krispy Kreme, Wake Forest University, Lowes Foods, Forsyth Tech, Wachovia, HanesBrands.... There are more, 80% of these are just based in Winston-Salem.
These are based or headquartered in W-S:
BB&T (financial)
Budd Group (janatorial, landscaping & security)
RJR (tobacco product manufacturer)
Krispy Kreme (doughnuts, retail stores)
Wake Forest University (university)
Lowes Foods (groceries, foods, distribution, retail stores)
Forsyth Tech (community & technical school)
HanesBrands (apparel/underwear manufacturer)

These are not headquartered in W-S:
GMAC's headquarters in located in Detroit, MI
Pepsico's headquarters in located in Purchase, NY
USAirways' headquarters is located in Tempe, AZ
AON's headquarters is located in Chicago, IL
Wachovia was acquired by Wells Fargo with its west coast headquarters located in San Francisco, CA and east coast headquarters located in Charlotte, NC

"There are more, 80% of these are just based in Winston-Salem." Really!

Last edited by highcotton; 01-31-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Well beyond city employment, public schools, and two hospitals.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point