Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,140,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Last night was literally the first time I've ever heard a meteorologist use the phrase "hen egg size hail".
As opposed to a ostrich egg I guess. I agree. Never heard that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM

306 posts, read 690,307 times
I read an article recently about these storm chasers. They go thru the state “fixing” things, usually roofs, due to storm damage that never even happened. They bill the insurance company, raise insurance rates, and do horrible work. Most of these “companies” will be unreachable in a year when you call them back to fix their bad workmanship. If you hire someone who comes to your door, offers to fix your roof that isn’t even damaged, think you can get a new roof for free without paying the cost in the end……well you get what you pay for.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM

128 posts, read 220,943 times
This guy came up to me while i was cutting my grass and said they were giving free inspections for damage from the storm, but here in Simpsonville we didn't get anything at all, not even rain. He said my neighbors were all getting inspections but i asked them later and none of them were.

I'm so tired of these "fixers" coming to my door every other week. The Jehovah Witnesses have nothing on these guys! If i see one more Dixie Homecrafter or Gutter Guardian truck i'm going to scream!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,309 times
There are many unlicensed and uninsured roofers looking to collect claim checks in exchange for roof work. If they do not have the proper licensing, insurance, bonding, and local BBB affiliations, be wary. Don't be so skeptical as to throw all contractors in together, though. There has been hail damage in the area and the best way to find out if you have hail damage on your house is to have an adjuster from your insurance company look at it with a reputable roofing contractor AT THE SAME TIME. Don't try to play one against the other by keeping them apart. They'll do that on their own! If the insurance company pays the claim, you can be assured that there is damage up there.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 44,570 times
We have a sign saying No Solicitors in our subdivision. But this doesn't stop them.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,768,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemagnolia View Post
they have been like ambulance chasers in our neighborhood (but storm chasers)
I got a telemarketing call several weeks ago after one of the storms offering "free roof inspection". I should have gotten the company name and filed an FTC "Do Not call" complaint on them. It makes no sense - you're an honest roofing company and you have to hunt for work after a series of local storms? I don't know if it was these guys...
SC & NC Authorities Investigate Complaints Against American Shingle | WSPA

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,034 times
Quote:
In light of the ridiculously huge hail that fell just a while back, has anyone experienced serious roof damage?? It seems like our entire neighborhood is getting new roofs put on. Is this the case all over the upstate? Does anyone have a good roof company to recommend?
Yes, these guys are good they did my roof and I was so very pleased and impressed by the quality of work and time in which it was done. call me or email me and I can tell you more about them. :864-363-3593

Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,034 times
Quote:
In light of the ridiculously huge hail that fell just a while back, has anyone experienced serious roof damage?? It seems like our entire neighborhood is getting new roofs put on. Is this the case all over the upstate? Does anyone have a good roof company to recommend?
Yes, these guys are good they did my roof and I was so very pleased and impressed by the quality of work and time in which it was done. call me or email me and I can tell you more about them. :864-363-3593, [email]ghyltonusa@gmail.com[/email]

They inspected my Roof and took pictures of the damage to show me. They filed and handled my claim then met the Insurance Adjuster and went back up on the roof for his inspection.

When the roof replacement was approved by the adjuster, I selected the type and color and they ordered the materials.

They dropped off the material and installed the roof in one day without requiring any "deposit up front". That was good because I did not feel vulnerable to fraud. They offered a free 5-year warranty on their labor.

I have since recommended them to many of my friends.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,140,533 times
I just used Guy Roofing to replace my roof. They worked with my insuance company and all I paid was the deductable.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM

298 posts, read 687,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I was told that State Farm has already had 4000 claims.
UH-oh ..... I feel sorry for those homeowners.

Our neighborhood got hit twice last year. 60 houses with roof damage and all but two claims were fully paid by the insurance companies.

The other two homeowners .... they had State Farm.

I was one of the lucky State Farm policy holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area