Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If QuikTrip wants to increase prices for the sake of price gouging during a natural disaster, it could find itself in legal trouble with the State of South Carolina.

I have been filling up at Ingle's for the past year. The quality and the prices are better than QuikTrip.
I doubt it's anything big enough to qualify for gouging. I'm just discouraged that they seem to have become one of the first gas retailers to raise prices where they were initially lower on gas prices when they entered the market.

As someone that lives in Powdersville, I'm eagerly anticipating the remodel of the Ingles and the addition of a Gas Express store in Powdersville. The current stations there all seem to look out the window in eager anticipation of the chance to raise the price. Powdersville is often 10-15 cents higher than prices 5 miles away in Easley. The main difference in Easley is the presence of 2 Ingles Gas Express locations and a Sam's Club. Both of those seem to keep prices lower in Easley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If QuikTrip wants to increase prices for the sake of price gouging during a natural disaster, it could find itself in legal trouble with the State of South Carolina.

I have been filling up at Ingle's for the past year. The quality and the prices are better than QuikTrip.
Price gouging laws in SC only go in effect if SC is under a state of emergency.

See SECTION 39-5-145: Code of Laws - Title 39 - Chapter 5 - Unfair Trade Practices

A third of nation's refineries will be shut down for at least several days. Basic supply and demand dictates prices will go up. QT probably cycles through their supplies much quicker than anyone else. So it possible they preemptively raised prices to avoid one big price jump.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Price gouging laws in SC only go in effect if SC is under a state of emergency.

See SECTION 39-5-145: Code of Laws - Title 39 - Chapter 5 - Unfair Trade Practices

A third of nation's refineries will be shut down for at least several days. Basic supply and demand dictates prices will go up. QT probably cycles through their supplies much quicker than anyone else. So it possible they preemptively raised prices to avoid one big price jump.
I can understand that prices will increase as a result of the refineries being offline. We have very little excess refining capacity in this country for a myriad of reasons and gasoline has a very inelastic demand so any decrease in supply will spike prices in the short term. People filling up when prices start to increase frequently exacerbates the problem.

What I was mainly observing is that QT has in the last 6-9 months moved from a chain that was quick to lower prices and push the price lower in this area to a chain that is often the first to raise prices and that seems to push prices higher. They frequently seem to raise the prices at all of the locations in Greenville, Pickens, and Anderson Counties to the same higher price at the same time. Individual stores then creep lower a day or two later if the local competitors don't match the new, higher price.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:02 PM

115 posts, read 104,072 times
If you also have noticed, their prices on items around the store have also increased as well. Seems that they have came in to draw the attention of introducing a low price base to gain customers, and then increasing the price knowing that folks will still flock to them. The only good thing about them is their cleaner bathroom and quick to check out with their cashiers.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
I still love QT.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,178 times
Me too Gman They know how to run a C Store.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I still love QT.
Love QT too but I agree with others...prices are not competitive as before. The coffee that we loved has gotten weaker, and price have risen. I use to only buy my gas there since they opened but since there are lower prices nearby my money sometimes goes elsewhere, depending which way I'm headed.

I do love the .79¢ ice cream but my friends who don't like vanilla won't go there.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,994 times
QT was $2.29 on Pelham Road yesterday while the BP just 100 yards or less away was $2.09.

I saw people pulling out of QT and going to the BP. Just one car filled the gas there while I was observing it over 5 minutes.

Good for people for voting with their wallet.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I still love QT.
I think they run the best gas station / convenience store chain in the area. That said, I'll go elsewhere if the gas is significantly cheaper, especially if I'm just getting gas and paying at the pump.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,191 times
It's hard to prove the difference between simple profiteering and actual price-gouging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area