Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That describes most cities in America.
And people generally don't look for "most cities in America" when they have the opportunity to retire.

Last edited by Hobo7396; 08-26-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
And people generally don't look for "most cities in America" when they have the opportunity to retire.
I'd say that on balance, between the fantastic downtown and suburbs that are no worse and in some instances better than the norm, Greenville still comes out ahead overall. Not to mention the natural beauty within and a short distance from the city itself.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
All the new construction around Hampton Inn is Greenville's version of "Fantasyland", a small theme park that strangely enough, has no admission price (a well hidden one). It's all been done in the past few years. It was a pretty big construction zone until a few years ago. Yes, it is beautiful and fun to walk around. THIS IS NOT GREENVILLE. It is a place you can bring your friends and family from out of town and try to fool them into believing this is where you live.

You can't get Vermont or Cape Cod or whatever you are looking for on a Greenville budget. Greenville has a lot of things that don't make sense until you live here awhile and then they make sense. We are not a homogenous population. We are not all rich and not all poor. Many of us are law-abiding, but some of us are not above criminal things. So, we ride around in our 21st century armor (cars) and talk to each other via radio, billboards, and fill up the roads and have to build more. If you do not like this, please don't move here and be unhappy. Move to Boca.
Vermont=Table Rock. Cape Cod=Lake Jocassee.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,675 times
Yeah, G-Man....I was going to suggest that the OP check out Traveler's rest too!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM

19 posts, read 41,941 times
I'm from the ATL area, also.... it's a big area! If you could narrow down what part of ATL you're from, it might help as far as suggestions go. (I've been here nearly 10 years now.)

What bugs me the absolute most is the interstate exchanges!! 'Specially the one on I85 at Laurens Road. There just isn't enough room to get on or off hardly. I did hear someone the other day comparing the I85/I385 interchange to Spaghetti Junction! I'm still giggling about that one. Spaghetti Junction is downright majestic compared to 85/385!!

There is definitely NOT a Little Five here, at least that I've found. There IS a Five Points, but it's NOTHING like Little Five Points in ATL.

Overall, however, I do like Greenville. It's got lots of good restaurants, it's not too expensive, it's definitely greener than ATL. It actually reminds me of a larger Gainesville, GA.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Five Forks?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:17 PM

YES!! Five FORKS up here, not Points!!!

That would explain why it's always sounded funny when I've said it!

Duh!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM

45 posts, read 125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskidder View Post
I'm from the ATL area, also.... it's a big area! If you could narrow down what part of ATL you're from, it might help as far as suggestions go. (I've been here nearly 10 years now.)

What bugs me the absolute most is the interstate exchanges!! 'Specially the one on I85 at Laurens Road. There just isn't enough room to get on or off hardly. I did hear someone the other day comparing the I85/I385 interchange to Spaghetti Junction! I'm still giggling about that one. Spaghetti Junction is downright majestic compared to 85/385!!

There is definitely NOT a Little Five here, at least that I've found. There IS a Five Points, but it's NOTHING like Little Five Points in ATL.

Overall, however, I do like Greenville. It's got lots of good restaurants, it's not too expensive, it's definitely greener than ATL. It actually reminds me of a larger Gainesville, GA.
There ain't a part of it I don't know. But we will likely be forced into the Suburbs and I don't think thats fair. Plus once you are up in Alpharetta, by God, you aren't leaving to go do anything because of traffic. Plus downtown is a shame and makes me distress that I live in such a town.

That said I could surely like to live on Collier Rd, but then what the heck will I do for Public schools and I'll have to dump my wallet clean..

Greenville just seems easy and Atl is dam..n complicated.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Off the top of my head (and at 3:15 am), I'd say check out the McDaniel Ave./Augusta Road area of Greenville. It's pricey for up here, but NOTHING compared to Buckhead! The North Main area might be worth a look, too.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskidder View Post
Off the top of my head (and at 3:15 am), I'd say check out the McDaniel Ave./Augusta Road area of Greenville. It's pricey for up here, but NOTHING compared to Buckhead! The North Main area might be worth a look, too.
Do you find you are bored? Does the town offer enough to keep you busy outside of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area